Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2005, 07:18 PM   #1

Anyone have MobleGuardian tracking system?

A popular dealer here in San Diego installs MobleGuardian system on every car and charges $750 for it. The system is supposed to be like a souped up Lojack theft prevention system that works with GPS. Does anyone have it and how do they like it. DO you use it for anything besides recovering a stolen vehicle? Is there any monthly or other periodic service charge?
To me it looks worthless and equates to a simple $750 markup.
thanks

kavlono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 10:16 PM   #2

I have it, and your assessment is accurate. It's cool to a point in that you can look online and see where your car is, but I'm not exactly sure how valuable that is. Probably not $750 valuable.

You get x number of "free looks" (15?) but then you'll be charged a nominal fee for looks. I used one, just to make sure it worked but haven't had a need to log on since.

I'd consider it only if you were a believer in LoJack type systems. I bought it in a moment of weakness, but actually think if someone stole the car, I'm not sure I'd want it back. Somewhat surprising is that it's installed on the box, but not on the mercedes which is probably more likely to be stolen.

From that same "popular" dealer you can get Permaplate treatment, which is something I actually think has been worth the money...more or less

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 11:36 AM   #3

If you plan to let your teenager drive the car, I'd say it's quite worthwhile as you can see where the car is at 2 am when they were supposed to be home at midnight.

Now I'd never let my teenager (which I don't have, thank God) drive my car with me in it, let alone let them take it out for the night on their own, but that's just me

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote