Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2005, 02:47 PM   #1
adg

Clutch "squeeking"?

My 2004 Box has just over 2,000 miles and I have noticed that the clutch makes a noise when depressed. I can best describe the sound as a squeeking noise.

The dealer said this is normal, that it is the sound of the spring on the clutch. Is this true?

Do all other Boxsters make this sound? If it is normal, I am cool, it is not bothersome. I am more concerned if it is not the norm.

Thanks

adg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 02:56 PM   #2
bmussatti

adg, what dealer in the Chicago area told you this? Plese advise. Thanks.

Here is what I found on the PCA site:

"The first thing that has to be determined is the location from which the squeak is emitting. One would either be at the clutch pedal itself from the inside of the car or from the rear outside of the car. Either one of these have nothing in common for the repair short of they are for the clutch operation as a whole.

Should the squeak be found inside the car at the pedal then it would be corrected there. This would include either a simple re-lubrication of all the pivoting points or replacement of the pedal.

Now if the squeak is found to be coming from the rear outside area the transmission, most likely it will have to be removed. The only time it would not is if the squeak was do to a lack of lubrication from where the slave comes in contact with the release arm. This could be corrected by the removal of the slave and proper lubrication applied to the end of the release arm and its reinstallation.
Should the transmission have to be removed then it would be suggested to replace the release arm and bearing. These parts are also to be lubricated at all siding and pivoting points. However at no time on the face of the release bearing, this could be expelled onto the clutch itself. The input shaft should also get a small amount applied to the splines. This keeps them from rusting and the clutch from sticking.

These guidelines apply to all Porsche regardless of the year or model. I have always done this with all the Porsches and have not had any problems with squeaks or stiffening of the clutches. Porsche recommends Olista Longtime 3EP grease to be used part number 000 043 024 00. Scott Slauson - PCA WebSite - 2/19/2005"
Old 10-23-2005, 05:28 PM   #3

According to a TSB on the clutch squeaking noise, if you find it in the area of the clutch spring then you can lube everything first and see if it goes away. If it does not, then you can replace just the spring mechanism and don't have to replace the entire pedal assembly.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 02:42 PM   #4
adg

Question

[QUOTE=bmussatti]adg, what dealer in the Chicago area told you this? Plese advise. Thanks.

bmussatti....I was told this by Napelton Porsche in Westmont where I bought the car.

I took it in for service for this item. Then when I got home, I realized that the noise was still there. They said they lubed the clutch and that any noise I now hear is normal.

The noise appears to be coming from inside the car, not the transmission. I think I am going to go back and try other cars at the dealership with the service manager present. If the other cars make the noise, I am cool. If not, I will prove to them that it is not "normal"

The noise is not that bothersome, but this is a new car and if it is not right, I would like it corrected.

Any other thoughts from the forum members???
Old 10-24-2005, 05:26 PM   #5
bmussatti

adg, keep pushing at Napelton. You deserve much better. Put some pressure on them, and maybe a conversation with your salesperson (if still there) and General Manager might prove helpful too.

Something that is bothersome and noisey does not sound normal to me.

If they won't help you, try another dealer. As you know, there are several in the Chicago area. Possibly The Porsche Exchange would be better.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg
I took it in for service for this item. Then when I got home, I realized that the noise was still there. They said they lubed the clutch and that any noise I now hear is normal.
=
Tell them it may be normal for a Yugo, but not a Porsche!!

Sorry, I didn't pay enough attention to notice it's a 2004. They need to make it right, no matter what they have to do. If they don't fix it to your satisfaction, call the regional marketing rep and be really nice and explain everything. They are most likely to help you out after you have exhausted your options at the dealer.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:15 PM   #7

My 03 started making the same noise at some point. It is such a small squeak that it may have been present when the car was new, I can't remember. I don't know if it is normal or not, but it doesn't bother me.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 06:46 AM   #8
adg

Quote:
Originally Posted by deliriousga
Tell them it may be normal for a Yugo, but not a Porsche!!

Sorry, I didn't pay enough attention to notice it's a 2004. They need to make it right, no matter what they have to do. If they don't fix it to your satisfaction, call the regional marketing rep and be really nice and explain everything. They are most likely to help you out after you have exhausted your options at the dealer.

I should point out that though it is a 2004, I purchased it new in September. It was the last one they had, obviously a good deal. Bottom line is, this is a NEW Porsche. Just turned 2,000 miles and in service for two months.

I still think my best option is to go there and try others. If they dont make the noise, they will have to change their stance.

Other thoughts????
Old 10-25-2005, 08:58 AM   #9

adg -

it could be the sound of the master cylinder seals breaking in.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 09:05 AM   #10
bmussatti

adg, I think you need to be very persistant with the dealer, and have them make it right, regardless if you got the "deal-of the-century" or not.

Another problem you might have is, the dealer will not have any others new 2004's sitting on his lot to compare, so you need a different strategy before you go in.
Old 10-27-2005, 06:51 AM   #11
adg

From the sound of things, I take it that this sound is not normal.

When the service guy tells me that the clutch on all Boxsters make this sound he appears to be brushing me off.

Am I correct?? Do any of you hear a "squeak" when you depress the clutch?

Again, it is not terribly bothersome, and it does not appear to be coming from anything other than the pedal inside the car.

Thanks

Old 10-27-2005, 07:13 AM   #12

It's definitely not normal. I don't experience it at all. Also, if it were normal, there would not be a Technical Service Bulletin out telling how to fix it by replacing the spring mechanism.

The TSB may not cover your MY, but it does show that Porsche considered it a problem and told their mechanics how to fix it showing it is not a normal situation. Here's the TSB info:

TSB #1A/00 Date: 010601 Clutch Pedal - Various Types of Noises

Squeaking noise

Cause:
The clutch pedal power assist spring touches the spring casing.

Repair:
Replace the clutch spring.

Note: There is a new contoured version clutch spring that can only be installed in MY'00 and later vehicles.
The boost spring for MY' 98 and MY' 99 vehicles has not changed. The new contoured version clutch spring was installed in production as of the October 6, 1999 from the following VIN numbers
Old 10-27-2005, 10:53 AM   #13
Schatten-Baum-Mechaniker

Do you have a link to the full text of the TSB?

I want to see if my 2000 S has the new spring. It's a little squeeky and very stiff.

thanks

Tommy
tommy986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 01:09 PM   #14

Here's the full text:

Clutch Pedal - Various Types of Noises

Boxster

1a/00 3005

6-1-01

Binder - 3, Manual Transmission

This bulletin replaces bulletin Group 3, # 1/00 dated 9/8/00.

Clutch Pedal Noises (MY '98 - On)

Vehicle Type:
Boxster / Boxster S

Model Year:
As of 1998 (W)

Concern:
Noises during actuation of the clutch pedal

Information:

When operating the clutch pedal, various types of noises may occur. When diagnosing the noise, leave the drivers door open. This will allow you to detect any noises that may be external in nature.

Important Note: The previous bulletin should not have included MY' 97 Boxsters.
Please refer to Boxster Technical Manual; Group 3 page 30-15 for proper boost spring allocation.

Work Procedure:
Scratching or scraping noise

Cause:

The clutch pedal reinforcing rib rubs on the bracket (see arrow in Figure 1). This noise is only slightly audible.

Repair:
Remove the clutch pedal and rework the reinforcing rib with a file.

Note: A clutch pedal with modified reinforcing ribs has been introduced into production as of July 26, 1999 with the following VIN number 98 0YU 62 0216.

Squeaking noise

Cause:
The clutch pedal power assist spring touches the spring casing.

Repair:
Replace the clutch spring.

Note: There is a new contoured version clutch spring (see arrow in figure 2) that can only be installed in MY'00 and later vehicles. The boost spring for MY' 98 and MY' 99 vehicles has not changed. The new contoured version clutch spring was installed in production as of the October 6, 1999 from the following VIN numbers:

98 8YS 62 0335 (Boxster)
98 1YS 66 0138 (Boxster S)
98 9YU 62 2504 (Boxster)
98 2YU 66 0346 (Boxster S)

Work Procedure
Replacing the Boost Spring in MY' 00 and later vehicles:

Part Number Description

996 423 081 12 Boxster S New contoured version spring
996 423 081 11 Old version spring no longer available
996 423 881 06 Boxster - New contoured version spring
996 423 881 05 Boxster - Old version spring, no longer available

Replacing the Boost Spring in MY' 98, MY' 99 vehicles:

Part Number Description

986 423 081 11 Boxster - New (same version-not contoured) clutch spring

986 423 081 08 Boxster - Old version, no longer available

In addition to the new clutch spring, MY'98 and MY'99 vehicles must use a new clutch pedal and bolt.

Part Number Description

996 423 139 10 New Clutch pedal
996 423 315 06 Bolt

Clicking noise

To repair the clicking noise, follow steps 1 to 3 in sequence.

Step 1:

Cause:
Insufficient lubrication of the ball socket in the clutch master cylinder

Repair:

Spray the ball socket in the master cylinder with spray lubricant (figure 3). If this does not eliminate the noise, continue with step 2.

Part Number Description

000 043 204 40 New/Spray lubricant

Note: As from October 1, 1999 the master cylinder has been modified in the area of the ball socket.

Work Procedure

Step 2:

Cause:
The spring of the boost spring touches the spring casing (see also squeaking).

Repair:

Install a new contoured version clutch assist spring in MY'00 and later vehicles. Replace the boost spring in MY'98 and MY'99 vehicles. If this does not eliminate the noise, continue with step 3.

Step 3:

Cause:

A shoulder may be worn into the clutch pedal reinforcing rib from rubbing on the bracket (see scratching / scraping)

Repair:

Replace the clutch pedal with a new version with a modified reinforcing rib.

Part Number Description

996 423 139 10 New version pedal
996 423 139 09 Old version pedal, no longer available
996 423 315 06 Bolt - Use when installing the clutch pedal in MY'98 and MY'99 vehicles.

Literature:

Boxster Technical Manual, Group 3, Manual transmission:

Repair:

30 - Boost spring: Allocation and grease specification 30 05 19 - "Removing and installing the clutch pedal".

Technical Information: 1/99 - "Boost spring and clutch pedal".
Old 10-27-2005, 08:06 PM   #15

My 01 Box squeaks every time I hit the clutch and it drives me nuts.
PA986S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 04:34 PM   #16
adg

Well...I took it back to the dealer today and met with the Serivce Manager.

He was very understanding and said that it definately was not normal and made an appointment to bring it in.

Only wish I didn't have to go back, the dealer is not that close to my home. Will post what happens after the serivce.

Old 10-28-2005, 04:59 PM   #17
bmussatti

adg, good job! I hope everything works out well for you. Sometimes in life, we don't get the things that we 'deserve' but rather what we successfully negotiate!

Fortunately...everything is negotiable!
Old 10-29-2005, 05:39 PM   #18

Creaking clutch pedal

Just brought my '05S into the service to replace a dead brake light and showed the service tech the creaking clutch pedal. He said that he's seen it before and would need about 1 - 1.5 hours to fix it. I'll be bringing the car in later for the fix.

Rick

rickhuizinga is offline   Reply With Quote