986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   gotta get me one! (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4046)

ry_guy 10-22-2005 09:23 PM

gotta get me one!

Hey everyone, I'm driving a really boring car right now and it's time to upgrade. I have a connection with with a classic sports car dealer who can get me a car at cost. I want a Boxster. Probably 1999 or newer with about 40,000 miles on it (I'm not rich). How much should I spend? Are Boxsters reliable? Im serious about owning one so any advice or tips would be very appreciated.

blinkwatt 10-22-2005 09:46 PM

Well let me inform you of something,THESE CARS WILL BRING YOU SOME UNFORGETABLE TIMES. I picked up my Boxster 3 days ago and i have not forgotten a second of it. Just to let you know it is a 99' that i have put near 300 on now,its has a total of 52,029 on it now. I wont forget the moment I started it up and staled it after the guy turned the keys over to me. These cars are a blast to drive. Now for the reliable part,mine had a clutch repair kit done at 25k and thats the only issue that i know of so far. Now that I think of it,it could go in for a realignment(it steers towards the right some). But other then that these cars are a blast.

Biz-z Z 10-23-2005 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ry_guy
Hey everyone, I'm driving a really boring car right now and it's time to upgrade. I have a connection with with a classic sports car dealer who can get me a car at cost. I want a Boxster. Probably 1999 or newer with about 40,000 miles on it (I'm not rich). How much should I spend? Are Boxsters reliable? Im serious about owning one so any advice or tips would be very appreciated.

It seems to me that if you can "get a car at cost", then you should go for the most car you can afford with the option packages you would like. I'm not sure when P introduced PASM and Sport Chrono as options, but if you are into performance, you may want to consider driving a Box with those options to see if they are things you will "need" in yours. In my brief experience with the Box-S, having these is like having two cars for the price of one(plus options cost).

Owing a 987-S, I am partial to the S. The S will give you more HP/TQ than the regular flavor version.

I also think appearance wise, the 03 ( and 04) Box looks extra agressive with the body colored side and front grill strakes that are closer to the surface and almost flush to the body. I think 03 was the first year P went to a glass rear window too.

There's been a lot of dicussion in the forums about a continual Rear Main Seal problem with the Box in general, so you might want to inquire further before purchasing the specific vehicle. It won't hurt to at least have the dealer throw the car on a lift for you just to see if there is any oil residue anywhere, corrosion, wear, etc.

Just a few things to consider. When you get right down to it, I don't think there's a "bad choice" among the different Box years/models, it's just some may offer a bit more in what you may want later. And as Blink suggested below, get ready for a ton of great driving!

Good luck.

RandallNeighbour 10-23-2005 08:05 AM

Read the link below in my signature as to the 10 things you should look for when buying a used boxster.

deliriousga 10-23-2005 08:34 AM

I'm with Biz-z Z. Get the most you can get for your budget. The extras that are already on it will be way less than adding them at full retail later. That and you can't add many of them (like the PASM) later.

One thing I would definitely do is go with a 2000 or newer. Several '99s have a problem with a bad batch of blocks (built ~10/98-2/99) causing slipping sleeves and engine death.

Whatever you get, enjoy the heck out of it!! :dance:

ry_guy 10-23-2005 08:57 AM

Thank you everyone for your resposes, I especially liked the link you posted Randall, very helpful!My mind is made up, I can't wait to get behind the wheel.

bmussatti 10-23-2005 09:03 AM

Arizona is a great state to own a convertible in. Lots of sunshine!