986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Language setting! (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4029)

rogue_trader 10-21-2005 10:55 AM

Language setting!

:) Hi forum.... On my heater . the language setting seems to be french.. ( it states "manuell" instead of what it should say!! Is there a way to change the
language setting on the heater and if so, can someone shed some light on the subjest please .. Thanks all ..

jonomo 10-21-2005 11:41 AM

Kind of off topic and I do apologize, but I really like how your Boxster sits... What size rims are those and did you lower it?

keithfox 10-21-2005 11:46 AM

Manuell

same problem. Well not really a problem, but I would like to change it.

bmussatti 10-21-2005 11:47 AM

jonomo, don't forget, the European set-up on the Boxster, I think, is about 10 mm lower than the US set-up due certain laws. Thats about a 3/8 of an inch.

bigdog 10-21-2005 12:05 PM

I have the same problem, but since mine's from Germany, I think it's safe to assume it's probally German. If you find out how, please post as I'd like to fix it also.

Tool Pants 10-21-2005 02:21 PM

It is actually MANUEL.

The German speaking people say it is an English word, and the English speaking people say it is a German word. In reality it is not either. French is a new twist.

When the Audi A4 A/C display was modified for the Boxster is just came out that way. There is no fix.

Rail26 10-21-2005 08:19 PM

Those damn dirty French..I mean Apes. :D

rogue_trader 10-22-2005 05:48 AM

German , French , English , Schminglisch !!!

Well , the word is "MANUELL" on my Boxster , not "MANUEL" , and this is not
a German or an English word. IN English it would be spelt "Manual" .
I speak some German and this is definately the case ( unless someone from Germany can correct me on this .. Or should I say "Korrekt" me !

There must be some kind of fix, I would be very suprised if they have the
same word in cars exported to Japan for example.. It's only a tiny problem , which does'nt really affect us in any way .. but attention to detail is something
I pride myself on , so to have this rather annoying pseudo European staring at me is a bit of a pain, OH the sleepless nights ! hehe

By the way , Jonomo ... my rims are 18" Turbo II's on Pirelli pzero's and it has been lowered , but only a tad ... I am in the process of going through various upgrades and have found a fantastic site which has helped a lot ...... http://hverheyen.vssi-eda.com/box_pics/index.html

I hope the designer of this site doesnt mind me putting this on the forum , but a "big Up " to him anyway ... top work !

jeffsquire 08-16-2006 06:49 AM

translation

Since my wife is a German/English English/German transator, I thought I'd add my two cents.

Manuell is indeed a German word. The root of the word derives from Latin, manus, i.e. hand.

Gary Gaukler 08-16-2006 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rogue_trader
Well , the word is "MANUELL" on my Boxster , not "MANUEL" , and this is not
a German or an English word. IN English it would be spelt "Manual" .
I speak some German and this is definately the case ( unless someone from Germany can correct me on this .. Or should I say "Korrekt" me !

Manuell is a nice German word. Nothing wrong with that on a German car in my opinion...

Gary

Ronzi 08-16-2006 11:49 AM

The interesting thing is, if you look in the owner's manual it says, in the section concerning adjusting blower speed, " ...and "Manual" appears in the right hand display field."

Gary Gaukler 08-16-2006 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronzi
The interesting thing is, if you look in the owner's manual it says, in the section concerning adjusting blower speed, " ...and "Manual" appears in the right hand display field."

Funny! I guess that's what happens when your translator has never seen the car in person! :)

jeffsquire 08-17-2006 04:17 PM

Manuell

I my case the translator owns the car as her anniversary present. :} Word of advice: Porsche Boxsters are great anniversary presents!

My wife does technical translations of German engineering products, among other things. She's a native-born German speaker. When translated, the "manual" said it would say "manual." In the case of the Boxster, that is not the case. It should have read "manuell."

Now if I could only change the "manuell" into "manual. . . ."

FYI, for you afficianados out there, the correct pronunciation is indeed
"Porsch-ah"

Jeffsquire