986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Where do you put the flat tyre? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4000)

PAH 10-19-2005 06:49 AM

Where do you put the flat tyre?

Boxster is in the car park, when a friend comes into my office to tell me I have a flat trye. Go out, change the wheel for the space-saver, and look angrily at the nail embedded right at the edge of the tyre - no repairing that. However, not too upset because there was only about 3mm left and then needed changing anyway.

Tidy up, and go to put the 18" Turbo Twist wheel and tyre back in the car. However.....it will not fit! I can't see any way in the world this will fit back in the car, short of putting it on the passenger seat. Not ideal - dirty, wet tyre and wheel covered in brake dust on my nice leather seats - I don't think so!

Any ideas? This seems mad - what if I'd been out with the wife in the middle of nowhere - do you have to hide the wheel in a hedge and come back and get it with another car???

bmussatti 10-19-2005 07:03 AM

I would politely ask the wife to hold it, and not get any freaking stuff on the leather! The things we will do for true love!!! This would also serve as an excellent relationship test for that boyfriend/girlfriend.

Tool Pants 10-19-2005 08:05 AM

I have put a rear 17" in the front trunk and was able to close the trunk. Have not tried a 18". You might not be getting the correct angle.

Or you can do this....

Rail26 10-19-2005 06:27 PM

Tool Pants, do you have a picture for everything? Everytime I log on you have some crazy picture i.e. peanut oil in the oil filler, tire in a trunk etc. I am always amazed. Can't wait for the next one.

Biz-z Z 10-20-2005 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PAH
Boxster is in the car park, when a friend comes into my office to tell me I have a flat trye. Go out, change the wheel for the space-saver, and look angrily at the nail embedded right at the edge of the tyre - no repairing that. However, not too upset because there was only about 3mm left and then needed changing anyway.

Tidy up, and go to put the 18" Turbo Twist wheel and tyre back in the car. However.....it will not fit! I can't see any way in the world this will fit back in the car, short of putting it on the passenger seat. Not ideal - dirty, wet tyre and wheel covered in brake dust on my nice leather seats - I don't think so!

Any ideas? This seems mad - what if I'd been out with the wife in the middle of nowhere - do you have to hide the wheel in a hedge and come back and get it with another car???

Well, at least you've got a space-saver wheel/tire. 05s don't have space-saver wheels/tires so the only thing to carry is a fully charged cell phone and wait 'til Porsche sends someone with a flat bed.

Looks like you may want to keep a plastic trash can liner bag and / or a bungie cord in the trunk for these occasions. If no passengers, perhaps you can slip the trash can liner over the wheel and then carry it in the front seat. If not, looks like it gets jammed in the trunk as in TP's photo. I'd try to rig a bungie cord to keep the trunk lid down, firm on to the tire as best I could.