986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Painted Air Intake Vents (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3987)

bmussatti 10-17-2005 12:45 PM

Painted Air Intake Vents

Do you guys (and gals!) think the 987 air intake vents for the engine would look good painted the exterior color of the car? From pictures I have seen, the Cayman looks like it is painted this way.

Please share your thoughts. Thanks!

berj 10-17-2005 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmussatti
Do you guys (and gals!) think the 987 air intake vents for the engine would look good painted the exterior color of the car? From pictures I have seen, the Cayman looks like it is painted this way.

Please share your thoughts. Thanks!

I can't decide yet. I like the contrast but I think I may prefer the vents in the body colour. I think I may have to do a quick photoshop job to see how it looks...

bmussatti 10-17-2005 03:55 PM

Berj, if you do a photoshop, please share the results with the forum. Thanks. A good way to see the impact, is to look at the car configuration on Porsche's web-site. The Cayman is clearly the exterior color, and looks great this way IMHO! That's what got me thinking about this potential customization.

Adam 10-17-2005 06:51 PM

I say go for it. Definately added some visual appeal in that area on the 03/04 986 IMO.

SD987 10-17-2005 08:50 PM

I hate to state the obvious, but the Cayman grills are vertical while the 987s are horizontal. I'm curious if this will be a switchable part between the two and also how the box would look with the Cayman grills. If they are switchable, I would imagine that will be a popular mod, soon. As for color, I vote for the OEM silver.

One thing I definitely like is the Cayman fog light/bumper treatment. I think that would look cool on the Box.

bmussatti 10-18-2005 04:13 AM

SD987, interesting suggestion about the potential switchability. Maybe that would work too.

I got a paint quote from a highly recommended Paint Shop in Lake Bluff, Illinois, who does a lot of super high-end cars, including Porsche, for $75 per grill. Sounds fair. About 1 hour per grill (take out, prime, paint to match, clear coat, and re-install).

bmussatti 10-18-2005 04:24 AM

One other comment here, I had a dealer offer to do that as a "No-Charge" option, if I purchased my car from him! I only mention this for potential new/used car buyers, as a potential negotiation tactic.

tmc 10-18-2005 06:57 PM

Well for what it's worth, I personally think the contrast looks exceptionally good. I would not paint them body color. It also makes the 987 distinctive.

tmc

Chris C Atlanta 10-20-2005 08:00 AM

I have a set on order from bumperplugs.com. (No affiliation)

I will post pics pre and post install on my 2006 Guards red 987S

bmussatti 10-20-2005 08:10 AM

Chris C Atlanta, please clarify! What did you order from bumperplugs.com?? Did you order air intake vents for a Cayman? Please help me understand. Thanks.

Chris C Atlanta 10-22-2005 07:25 PM

The thread was about the grey intakes on the Boxster...I will receive my painted intake vents next week and take pics before and after I install them. I have a guards red car...and can't wait to get rid of the metal look vents

(It appears the Cayman vents are body colored already)

bmussatti 10-22-2005 07:32 PM

Chris C Atlanta, I don't see the intakes on bumperplugs.com web site. How much are they? What year is your Boxster? Thanks.

Chris C Atlanta 10-23-2005 08:47 AM

You can find them in the Order section, 175 plus core exchange. My car is a 06 s.

bmussatti 10-23-2005 08:54 AM

Taking out...and putting back in?

Chris C Atlanta, are they hard to take out, and put the newly painted ones in? Please post pictures ASAP! Can't wait to see your final results. THANKS!

bmussatti 11-03-2005 04:59 PM

Chris C Atlanta- do you have any pictures of the painted air vents yet? Are you happy with bumperplugs quality? Thanks for your help.

MNBoxster 11-03-2005 05:25 PM

Hi,

I'm not a fan of the Body Colored Intake Vanes, I think the car will look too drab, it needs a little contrast IMHO...

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99

bmussatti 11-03-2005 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

I'm not a fan of the Body Colored Intake Vanes, I think the car will look too drab, it needs a little contrast IMHO...

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99

Hey Jim, how are you doing! I respect you opinion, but, I just disagree. I think they look great as is, but, would look a little better the same color as the body, like the Cayman is set-up. But, that's just IMHO! I am a more monochromatic kinda guy.

Chris C Atlanta 11-04-2005 06:40 PM

Will install them tomorrow and post pics. They are high quality, but it took a while to get them.

IMO they wll be a drastic improvement on my red car--I can't see keeping the gray ones. If my car was silver or grey maybe, but they're outta place on a red car. I like the monochrome look on the 986 and on the cayman.

bmussatti 11-04-2005 07:03 PM

Chris C Atlanta, I talked to Eric (owner) at Bumperplugs, and he said that he is going to double the price of the painted vents. Very labor intensive to paint them right.

Brucelee 11-05-2005 05:37 AM

I like the color matched idea. Go for it.