986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   New Porsche Owner and New To This Forum (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3972)

porscheman 10-16-2005 10:46 AM

New Porsche Owner and New To This Forum

I'm a new to being a Porsche onwer. I've always been a Porsche affianodo and I finally just purchased a '97 Boxster that is in mint condition. The previous owner treated it like a baby. I love it. I'm also new to this forum (Oct. 14) and I'm amazed at how helpful everyone has been. This is great and I'm glad to be a part of it.

bmussatti 10-16-2005 10:59 AM

Porscheman, welcome! Send us some pictures of the new baby!

Brucelee 10-16-2005 11:26 AM

Welcome aboard!

:cheers:

97Boxsterian 10-16-2005 01:38 PM

Welcome! I just bought a 1997 Boxster last month too. Good Choice :)

deliriousga 10-16-2005 05:15 PM

Willkommen!! So glad to have you here with the mentally insane. :D

How 'bout some pics and stats of that beauty?

ODS4 10-19-2005 12:02 PM

New Boxter S

Picked up a new Boxter S last Saturday from Northland Porsche of Cincinnati and drove back home to Dublin, a suburb of Columbus Ohio. Replaced by MY2000 S4 with APR chip (2 programs, stock and 1bar boost), H&R spring with Bilstein shocks, SShifter, slotter cross-drilled rotor and 18" BBS wheels. I can say that my new BoxS is worthy of a replacement. Really enjoyed the drive back home with the top down. I been waiting for this experience since I was a kid. Hoping that I will enjoy it as much or better than my old OD-S4. So far it is excellent.

bmussatti 10-19-2005 12:07 PM

ODS4:

Welcome to the forum! What did you get on your new car? Post some pictures!!

S_PILOT 10-19-2005 12:24 PM

ODS4,

congrats, we just bought our S last Wednesday at White Allen in Dayton, and drove it back to Columbus as well!

Our two local Porsche dealers aren't doing much to keep the locals buying from them.... :)

bmussatti 10-19-2005 12:28 PM

S Pilot, did you buy from Chip at White Allen??

ODS4 10-19-2005 03:00 PM

S Pilot, both MAG and Byers are giving me some discount but nothing compared with Northland. Maybe because that is were I bought my S4. They even offered me to take it home without the check from my bank which was delayed. All our transactions were my phone only and I just showed up there to pick up the car. My BoxS is an Artic Silver with Preferred Package +, Chrome exhaust and automatic climate control only. I don't think I will need to add any aftermarket parts (for now). :) Will post a picture ASAP.

Moostang 10-19-2005 03:47 PM

me too me too

Well, i'll have my new ( to me ) boxster S tomorrow hopefully. i bought it privately and couldnt be more excited. some specs of my 2000 S silver/ blk int. , short throw 6, bilstein pss9, h&r springs, ccw classic wheels, front strut brace, roll bar. runs like new! .. pics will come as soon as i get her home . ( sorry to hijack thread )

SD987 10-19-2005 09:54 PM

Congrats Moostang, where in SD are you? Between us, some others here and those on PPBB I think we have the nucleus of a Boxster org of some sort. Lord knows there's a Boxster at every red light in SoCal, but if you see a strikingly handsome fellow driving a midnight blue 987 be sure to give the Boxster wave (which I'll ignore of course, just like everyone else in California).

Brings to mind a mildly humorous story: I'm getting on the 73 on ramp in Aliso Viejo and a 986 SE passes me with a nice middle-aged couple in it, both of them doing the Boxster wave like their lives depended on it :dance: . The driver is so excited he momentarily loses control and swerves off the road, narrowly missing the guardrail...guess you had to be there, but it was pretty amusing.

porscheman 10-20-2005 02:16 AM

First of all congrats to all of you on your new purchases. Since where I come from (Windsor, Ontario Canada) there aren't may Porsche's and only a handful of Boxsters, SD987, excuse my ignorance but what is the Boxster wave. I've only had one Porsche owner wave to me and I new him.

Perfectlap 10-20-2005 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moostang
Well, i'll have my new ( to me ) boxster S tomorrow hopefully. i bought it privately and couldnt be more excited. some specs of my 2000 S silver/ blk int. , short throw 6, bilstein pss9, h&r springs, ccw classic wheels, front strut brace, roll bar. runs like new! .. pics will come as soon as i get her home . ( sorry to hijack thread )

If you get a chance to drive a stock S at some point, please report your comments on the difference between the PSS9's and the OEM suspension.
I've wanted to do the full coil over but I can't complain one iota about the S car as is. Going with the PSS9's will bump me up to the GT3, GT2 and C4 category in most my local autocross/track clubs. I'd rather keep fighting amongst the M3's Carreras and the 4 wheel drive imports.

SD987 10-20-2005 09:31 AM

Porscheman, the Boxster-wave is usually nothing more than a casual wave as Boxsters pass each other, but the couple I was talking about were waving like they'd forgotten to take their Lamictal (www.lamictal.com).

The Boxster-wave is not to be confused with the 911 wave which is performed with the palm facing inward and only the middle-finger extended.

BuffaloBoxster 10-20-2005 11:20 AM

I flash the lights.. Porsche salute. Most owners of 993 and older 911s are friendly folk...

porscheman 10-20-2005 11:23 AM

Good one SD, Good one.

swede611 10-29-2005 05:37 PM

Me too!

I have joined a fine club! My first Porsche, a Boxster S, Midnite Blue with Blue top. Love it and in two months have put 3K miles on her. As my wife likes to say, my Boxster is the newest love of my life...

See you all on the highways!

BengalsFan 10-30-2005 02:30 PM

Wave from Turbo Carrera Owner

Yesterday as I entered the freeway at 78mph in my '01 6 speed guards red "S" with top down (a beautiful Eastern Washington day), I noticed an older (say late '80s or early '90s) blue Turbo Carrera coming up hard in my rearview mirror. I accelerated to maintain my distance ahead of him for about 5 miles before I exited the freeway. As I de-excelerated into the offramp, he pulled even with me, turned to look in my direction and gave a very friendly wave. I, of course, waved back, basking in the shared feeling of having this high speed sprint in a truly excellent machine on such a brilliant day with one of the very few other Porsche owners in the region. This feeling was diminished today, however, when on a city street a white Boxster passed bye and ignored both me and my wave entirely. Oh well. Had a great driving day anyway.

Ken, the Bengals Fan

bmussatti 10-30-2005 03:14 PM

B-fan, you picked a very good year to be a Bengals fan!