Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2005, 07:53 AM   #1
bmussatti

Nitrogen in Tires

I was wondering how many owners are running nitrogen in their tires? Apparently there are many benfits.

For the owners in the Chciago area, this service is provided by Cassidy Tire. The charge is $5/tire with free refills and adjustments (if needed).

www.cassidytire.com

Old 10-13-2005, 08:31 AM   #2

Hi,

There are some advantages for running Nitrogen (N) in your tires, but for certain circumstances.

The Aircraft I flew in the Navy had their tires filled with N but for safety. There was less potential for the tires to start a fire if they blew on impact during recovery (a very bad thing). Also, because of the low (Read none) humidity potential, the tires stayed supple after high altitude flying with it's sub-zero temperatures.

Racers use N in tires to again reduce the fire potential and run cooler. Many Museums and people who store a car long-term will use N to prevent Dry-Rotting the Tires. Also, running with pure N also decreases the running temp of the tire.

Some other advantages include slightly decreased potential to corrode the wheels, and slightly less loss of inflation due to seepage.

But, there are really no measurable benefits to running a street car with Nitrogen filled tires. You rarely run the tires long enough or Fast enough to approach the maximum allowable heat of the tire. You need to check your tire pressures regularly anyway, so using a gas which seeps less, doesn't eliminate the need to check this, and any delayed dry-rot is minimal on a regularly driven tire because you're gonna wear it out well before dry-rot takes over. And, you reduce the number of potential fill-up spots which can actually lead you to drive on underinflated tires until you can get to your favorite supply of Nitrogen.

All this said, I do fill several of my cars' tires with Nitrogen. My Formula Vee (for fire safety and cooler running), my Esprit and 240Z because I usually put less than 2k mi. on each annually. I use a Nitrogen bottle I get from a welding supply for about $25 + the initial cost of the regulator. But, our Daily Drivers and my Boxster I run on good ol' air because they're run so regularly, there's little benefit to be had from switching to Nitrogen.

Filling tires with Nitrogen isn't at all a new idea, it's just now that the general public is becoming aware of it and so it's the new Fad. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 09:28 AM   #3

Hi guys,

After reading about what you guys wrote, it got me thinking. What about good old hygrogen. Wouldn't that decrease the weight of the tires like what it does to hydrogen-filled balloons? Hmm....
airbox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 09:52 AM   #4
bmussatti

Airbox1, have you ever heard of the Hindenburg?
Old 10-13-2005, 10:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbox1
Hi guys,

After reading about what you guys wrote, it got me thinking. What about good old hygrogen. Wouldn't that decrease the weight of the tires like what it does to hydrogen-filled balloons? Hmm....
Hi,

Aside from the safety issue as hinted in the Hindenburg remark, you'd also have a very tough time keeping the tires inflated. Hydrogen is the smallest atom and smallest molecule. It would seep through the spaces between the molecules of the Tire Rubber and past the rim and probably the valve stem as well. You'd have to refill your tires every couple miles. Not a very good choice for the job at hand. Also, point of information - it doesn't make the Tires lighter, it simply makes them more bouyant...

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 04:57 PM   #6

Somebody must be advertising nitrogen as a means to increase mpg.
This just prompted Keith Olberman on MSNBC to make fun of people that put nitrogen in tires.

Now have a 2006 Cayman S
Basalt Black/Stone Grey
TerryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 06:53 PM   #7

I agree with MNBoxster, I used to work for my uncle's Industrial gas company, we would put N into our cars and the ride is better. And may I add, the air inside your potato chips bag is nitrogen.

speedyellow is offline   Reply With Quote