Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2005, 11:48 AM   #1

Finally found a floor jack!

I've been searching for a good floor jack that didn't require a pad modification and was low enough to get under my boxster.

Found it at Pep Boys for 89.00. It was a "racing" 1.5 ton jack with a single tube-style front wheel up front and a full size pad with a 1/4 inch rubber pad on it. It has a nice aluminum handle with a rubber protector on the base of it. Sears had a similar one for something like $250, so I drove over to Pep Boys and I'm glad I did.

Used it last night to replace the plastic flaps that hang down about 2 inches in front of each front tire at the base of the wheel well. These are supposed to create some sort of air movement for the brakes and deflect water from the wheels in heavy rain.

Anyway, I feel very manly now that I have a floor jack and have jacked up my Porsche to do my own repair, albeit a plastic piece replacement. Baby steps toward overhauling the engine myself one day

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 01:37 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Do you happen to know the part number so I can go in to a local store and pick one up thank you.
blinkwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 03:31 PM   #3

Every once in a while I go out to the garage...start up the air compressor and hook my air tools. I don't actually do any work! I just sit there with the impact wrench and make pit crew noises. Beer in one hand and power tool in the other...you want to talk about MANLY !!!
sdkkv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 05:48 PM   #4

Funny, I saw that same jack also at a Pep Boys the other night. Looks like a good buy for $89.00. Didn't buy one though, as I already have one of those kind of jacks, but made of steel not aluminum.

So, say you want to jack up the car with this kind of floor jack, but then you want to put jack stands under it. Since Boxsters only have the 4 jack points, where do you pick it with the floor jack so you can put the jack stands under it? I did notice while jacking up my car the other night, that when you lift it by the rear points, the front wheels will come off the ground as well. I am still unclear how to get the car on 4 jack stands safely, especially high enough to remove the trans for a clutch job...
Mr. Boone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 06:09 PM   #5

http://boxsters.addr.com/jacking.htm

http://www.iq.dynip.com/~gary/hacks/jack/jack.html

Last edited by larez2; 10-12-2005 at 06:11 PM.
larez2 is offline   Reply With Quote