986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   HELP ! Exhaust gases/headache inside NEW boxster (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3922)

jantje_111 10-12-2005 03:13 AM

HELP ! Exhaust gases/headache inside NEW boxster

Help ! I was given a Porsche Boxter for a weekend for a test drive. It was an amazing experience and BUT there is a serious problem . The first day, I did end with a headache. The second day, I did also end with a headache. The third day, it was even worse. Then, I did start to think about what I did remark ; often a strong smell of the engine gases. I remembered smelling several times suddenly the gases coming out of the engine while driving with open roof. What did worry me especially, is that the last day, after driving about 8 miles with the roof closed, when I did take two turns short one after the other, I did also suddenly notice a strong smell of engine gases inside the cockpit.
The second day, the headache was worse than the first day, and the third day it was worse than the second day ; as if the intoxication was building up in my blood. The third day I did have terrible headaches, I did feel light-headed and even did not have appetite to eat but a slight inclination to vomit .
When I did speak with my wife who had joined me during the test-drives, she admitted that she also did have a headache the first, second and third day ... so it can not be a coïncidence that both me and my wife have a headache after driving in this car together. As I did want so very much to buy this car, I am desperate now ! Does anyone own the new model of the boxter ? Did anyone notice these smells ? Does anyone also suffer headaches in this car ? Because now, I fear to buy this car and end up with a car that gives me headaches , intoxicates my blood and maybe gives me a cancer in the long run !
Pleas send me an email ; jan_a@mac.com

insite 10-12-2005 03:40 AM

That isn't a common problem. It's very difficult for that to happen since the engine is behind you and the air conditioning draws air from the front of the car. usually, any engine related smells would never reach the cabin.

if this is a new model boxster, take it to the dealer for repair under warranty.

jantje_111 10-12-2005 03:59 AM

I surely hope this is not a general problem !

I just fear that the exhaust gases are sucked back in the car by the airconditioning, or because of the specific aerodynamics of the rear end of the car .... I did read in another forum about another type of Porsche that in that other type of porsche it is a question of the aerodynamics of the rear end of the car ; several car owners agree that if they drive with open roof of window, exhaust gases enter the cockpit. But these reports were NOT about the boxter. As I did suffer 3 of the 3 days that I did test this car of severe headaches, I fear that the latest model of the boxter also suffers from this problem, although it seems hard to believe. But imagine buying such an expensive car and then notice that you are all the time breathing exhaust gases .... ANYONE WHO OWNS THE LATEST MODEL OF THE BOXTER (987?), please send me an email explaining how long you already own the vehicle, how much miles you already have, if you drive both roof open and closed, if you ever/often/never did notice the smell of exhaust gases inside the cockpit ... or if you did notice that this car gives you a headache please send email to ; jan_a@mac.com THANK YOU !

grease 10-12-2005 04:55 AM

Exhaust Gases in Passenger Compartment

FYI, The owners manual warns that exhaust gases can escape into the passenger compartment if the car is driven without the engine cover or it being improperly secured. This is the one under the convertible top. When you take the car to the dealer you may want to mention this.

deliriousga 10-12-2005 05:33 AM

If it's a tester, go to the dealer and get another one and see if you experience the same thing. I have never had such a problem in mine.

If the engine compartment cover is properly secured, the only way exhaust gases can get into the cockpit is if the wind is blowing pretty strong from the rear when you are stopped. The same would happen with any convertible.

If the engine compartment cover is not secured very well, the gases can be blown in through the openings in the cover.

Like insite said, the A/C pulls air in from the front of the car so you won't get fumes from that.

The other model you spoke of, is it water or air cooled? I ask because the air cooled may more easily pull exhaust in since there is so much air movement going on around the engine.

SD987 10-12-2005 08:36 AM

As "Grease" mentions, the 987 manual states:

"Risk of intoxication. Exhaust or fumes from the engine compartment could enter the passenger compartment. Do not drive with the engine compartment lid open. "

There is a second engine compartment lid under the carpet behind the seats.

jantje_111 10-16-2005 02:12 AM

I did have a second test drive yeasterday with another Boxter S. This vehicle was only available for 2 hours. I did try everything to see if exhaust gases did enter the cockpit but I did not experience this problem with this vehicle. Sadly, after the testdrive I did have again a headache ; it was not severe , but it was there. Can this be because of the noise of the engine or because of the bumpy character of driving this car with 19 inch wheels = very thin tires ? Please, if you own a boxter 987, share your experiences if you did suffer headaches because of this car or not ...

berj 10-16-2005 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jantje_111
I did have a second test drive yeasterday with another Boxter S. This vehicle was only available for 2 hours. I did try everything to see if exhaust gases did enter the cockpit but I did not experience this problem with this vehicle. Sadly, after the testdrive I did have again a headache ; it was not severe , but it was there. Can this be because of the noise of the engine or because of the bumpy character of driving this car with 19 inch wheels = very thin tires ? Please, if you own a boxter 987, share your experiences if you did suffer headaches because of this car or not ...

I've driven many hours in my car with the top up (sad fact of life living in Toronto) with no headaches (other than those caused by the drivers around me). I've smelled no exhaust gasses or anything other than 'new car smell'. I even had the car at a track for a day of very hard driving and the only thing I could smell was rubber -- and that was after all the cars were parked in the pit. I've got 18" wheels so I'm not sure about what things would feel like with 19" ones.

deliriousga 10-16-2005 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jantje_111
Please, if you own a boxter 987, share your experiences if you did suffer headaches because of this car or not ...

I have not driven a 987, but in most new cars I do get headaches from the chemicals that are released. The new car smell is great, but it comes from a bunch of new materials breaking down/in and releasing gasses. That may be the cause for you. With me, it's lasted about a month after we got the car, but it's been 7 years since we purchased anything new.

ODS4 10-19-2005 11:48 AM

New Boxter S

I picked up my new Boxter S last Saturday afternon from Cincinnati and drove back home to Dublin, a suburb of Columbus. It is a 1.5 hours drive and the top was down all the time. Didn't experience any headache from driving but did experince afer thinking the payment. :)

Rail26 10-19-2005 07:33 PM

Sometimes when I eat Taco Bell I get exhaust gases in the cockpit. :eek:

bmussatti 10-20-2005 05:40 AM

Possibly Jantje 111 is suffering from one of two very rare diseases. Please understand that I am not a doctor...but I did play one once on TV!!

1) He could be suffering from grinitus- this can happen when the facial skin is stretched, and held for long periods of time, from a muscle pulling phenomena, that usually spans from ear to ear. This is also known as humungus-grinus.

2) The other possibility could be- ohmygodthiscarisfu$ckingfast. I think this one is self explanatory.

Again, as a disclaimer, just in-case he is an attorney, I am not a doctor, and past performance is in no way indicative to future results!

Rail26 10-20-2005 08:54 AM

Ah, Dr. Watson I presume?