Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2005, 07:49 AM   #1

Question Winter wheels/ tires for 987

Hi all,

This is my first post here but have been haunting the forums for a few weeks. My wife and I are picking up a new ’05 987 in San Diego next weekend and driving it back here to Jersey – looking forward to the vacation and should be a good cruise up Route 66 for most of the way.

Winter is approaching quickly and I have been looking at my options – the car is going to be my dedicated DD and I want to pick up an extra set of rims with snow tires to use in the winter. Using the configurators on tirerack and discounttire.com and others, I am having some difficulties finding wheels and winter tires for our car. When I select ’05 Boxster with 17” rims or even 18’s, I am not able to get anything that has options for winter tires. Will 16s from the 986 fit? What is everyone else doing (aside from not driving in the winter)?

Your help with this concern is greatly appreciated.

Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 08:14 AM   #2
bmussatti

Dr. Kill:

Here is some information that may help:

1) 18" Boxster S Wheels with Snow Tires are Porsche Part # 987 044 600 03 (w/o tire pressure monitoring system- TPMS) # 987 044 600 06 (with TPMS)
Front- 8J x 18 ET 57 235/40/R18V
Rear- 9J x 18 ET 43 255/40 R18V

2) 17" are 987 044 600 03 and 987 044 600 04 respectively
Front- 6.5J x 17 ET 55 205/55 R17V
Rear- 8J x 17 ET 40 235/50 R17 V

3) Snow Chains for the 235/50/R17 and 255/40 R18 is 996 361 922 00

Hope this is helpful!
Old 10-10-2005, 08:39 AM   #3

You might look up your local NJ Porsche dealer and ask them for a reference to a tire/wheel store. Even though you are buying it elsewhere, they should be able to reference a place nearby since others often opt for a set of winter tires. I got a reference from my dealer and the wheel store had used 987 rims and tires for a reasonable price. They also will store the summer tires during the winter season for about $50 (includes the installation).
cfos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 12:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbth
Can I ask why you are buying a car in SD ?
It must have been a great deal.
Good luck with the drive.
I live in north Jersey and have vacationed in SD , much prefer
We decided to get the car in SD for three reasons:

1) We originally went to Paul Miller Porsche in Parsippany, but the salesman was kind of a jerk so that made me start to look elsewhere - would have done this regardless of price. I am not sure if my wife and I just weren't dressed well enough or looked too young or something when we showed up, but the guy didn't take us seriously and was not nice. By direct contrast, Matt Bang from Pioneer Porsche in San Diego was fantastic - very helpful, very nice.

2) We are going to be out that way for a wedding anyway and figured that we would take advantage of the situation and drive back across the country. We have always wanted to do it but couldn’t take so much time off from work to do a round trip.

3) We got a great price too! It is materially less expensive than what Paul Miller was doing for us – the difference will pay for our trip back, a Garmin Street Pilot and still leave several thousand left over.

Now I just have to concentrate at work until Sunday!!!!! :dance:
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 12:45 PM   #5

Exclamation $ 50 where????

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfos
You might look up your local NJ Porsche dealer and ask them for a reference to a tire/wheel store. Even though you are buying it elsewhere, they should be able to reference a place nearby since others often opt for a set of winter tires. I got a reference from my dealer and the wheel store had used 987 rims and tires for a reasonable price. They also will store the summer tires during the winter season for about $50 (includes the installation).

Where do they charge you $50/year for storage? In LI the cost of storing the 4 tires is $350./annum.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:56 PM   #6

Pilot: Utah.

cfos is offline   Reply With Quote