986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Installing new top with glass window (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3873)

airbox1 10-05-2005 05:37 PM

Installing new top with glass window

I have an 01 Box S and I'm thinking about replacing the top with the newer top that has a glass rear window and it is being on sale on ebay. Should I do it? Is it a do-it-yourself or do I need to hire a professional? Also, the seller of the top claims that the defroster of the top works. If that is true, how do I do the wiring?

RandallNeighbour 10-05-2005 06:20 PM

It's probably a do it yourself job for someone who's quite patient, has a smart friend to help and you have a number of hours to put into it. My mechanic told me he would need about 4-6 hours and he does them from time to time. Double that for a newbie.

A local trim shop who does convertible tops should be able to do it for you. You might even find out who your local dealer jobs work out to and go to them. I'd find someone whose worked on Porsches before though.

The heater plug is right behind the driver's side behind the rollbar if I'm not mistaken. I think all boxsters have the dash switch, just in case you buy a hard top and want to plug it in.

When I get my glass window top (future purchase as the price comes down) I plan to have my mechanic install it, and he will probably let me help him to speed it along.

MNBoxster 10-05-2005 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airbox1
I have an 01 Box S and I'm thinking about replacing the top with the newer top that has a glass rear window and it is being on sale on ebay. Should I do it? Is it a do-it-yourself or do I need to hire a professional? Also, the seller of the top claims that the defroster of the top works. If that is true, how do I do the wiring?

Hi,

Replacing the Top is a DIY project, but for a somewhat advanced DIYer. I have never done it, but I've done everything on cars from rebuilding engines and transmissions to upholstery and bodywork, and I can follow directions well, so I would be confident enough to do it myself.

That's really the point, confidence. If you are confident in your abilities, and can follow directions, it is probably doable. From what I've read, it's a fairly straightforward installation, not really different than the OEM Top.

First, examine the current Top thoroughly so you have a good understanding of how it's installed and functions. See if you can visualize what steps are needed to both remove this Top and then install another. If you think you have it figured out, then find the directions (from a Tech manual - I have one and the directions are excellent) and compare what you thought with what they say. Most likely, they'll have some differences, but if you got the jist of it on your own, and you've read where you need to correct, you're probably OK to do it.

Patience will be the key. Do you have the focus to stay with a project for 8-12 Hrs.? It'll most likely take less time, but this is a fair measure. Are you attentive to detail? Fitting the Top so that it is tight enough to fold and deploy properly can be as much Art as Science. You may have to undo and redo it a couple times to get everything lined up and tensioned properly. Remember, the final result will make the care and attention worth it.

All this said, you're really assuming some risk. Professional Installation will likely run another $300-$500. Given the things I've mentioned above, do you feel it is a good risk for you to take?

So far as the Rear Defroster, I believe that the Wiring Harness is already setup to accept the Defroster because of the HardTop Option and it plugs right into this. There may be a Wiring Harness extension you must buy, I forget.

If you do decide to take it on, be sure to take lots of pics to aid others who may do the job in the future - like me...;)
Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99

larez2 10-05-2005 08:44 PM

The one from CabrioWorld made by Gahh comes with instructions, the one from Convertible Tops online made my Nachos Upholstery, does not come with instructions. Both those places sell their glass window tops on ebay. The Gahh one has been out longer, the Nachos one came out last month.

Here are a couple of threads to check out, the second one has some good tips for it you do the install yourself:
http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3604

http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2566&page=3&pp=20

There is information in those threads on the wiring of the defroster too.

I am trying to decide whether to buy one or not too. My top is still in good condition, but the plastic window is only in okay condition. If your top is in good condition and the window is toast, you can opt to get just the window replaced with another plastic window for around $400 - maybe less. Complete plastic window tops sell from those places too on ebay, sometimes for as little as $350.

At any rate, if you buy one and want some help, PM me, I'm in San Diego.

Good Luck,
Larez2

airbox1 10-05-2005 09:37 PM

Thanks guys. I'm going to call around to see how much it would cost for a professional job. If it is reasonable, I'll probably have them do it. Otherwise, if I do it myself, I have a good friend to help me out. Hey larez2, thanks for the offer though. I will definitely post some pics for you guys. Wish me luck!

Porschekid 10-06-2005 04:34 AM

The defroster needs a wiring harness for it to work. I have the top with glass but didn't hook up the defroster because of this. I have 5% tint on it anyway and don't drive it in the winter. But the GAHH tops have been having problems with the rubber around the window peeling, it happened on mine but I haven't done anything about it yet.

perry190 10-07-2005 12:54 AM

I've also been looking at going this route

one of the options a UK supplier does is a yellow top, as my car is speed yellow I was considering this. has anyone had experience of light coloured tops on previous cars? ie how hard are they to care for regading stains etc?

cheers

porscheguy05 10-09-2005 01:54 PM

I was one of the first buyers of the GAHH top, and had the same problem. They were absolutely willing to accept the blame, and replaced the top for me. They feel they have fixed the problem, and so far I would agree as I have had no problems with the new top. The second one that I put on ended up only taking me about 3.5 hours to put on because I was familiar with the process. At first I was afraid to put a second one one, thinking that I just got lucky the first time and had no problems, but the second time really was a breeze.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porschekid
The defroster needs a wiring harness for it to work. I have the top with glass but didn't hook up the defroster because of this. I have 5% tint on it anyway and don't drive it in the winter. But the GAHH tops have been having problems with the rubber around the window peeling, it happened on mine but I haven't done anything about it yet.

Porschekid 10-10-2005 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by porscheguy05
I was one of the first buyers of the GAHH top, and had the same problem. They were absolutely willing to accept the blame, and replaced the top for me. They feel they have fixed the problem, and so far I would agree as I have had no problems with the new top. The second one that I put on ended up only taking me about 3.5 hours to put on because I was familiar with the process. At first I was afraid to put a second one one, thinking that I just got lucky the first time and had no problems, but the second time really was a breeze.

I haven't done anything about it yet because i'm not too enthusiastic about paying another $650 for the next one to be installed.