986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Hello...our first Porsche (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3872)

KShep 10-05-2005 04:44 PM

Hello...our first Porsche

My G/f Angie was looking for a new MX-5 to replace her '01 Miata...we purchased an '06 987 2.7 instead. She is in love with the car.

Obviously we are new to this forum...I am very active on the Z33 forums and have been browsing here and at RennTech for several weeks. I doubt we will modify this car much but will pass along any helpful info I come across.

One question I can't seem to find a definitive answer to: which product works best for cleaning and condidtioning the cloth soft top? I 'm seeing lots of different suggestions from autopia.org and properautocare. We are being deluged by a tropical depression right now and the water is not beading at all on the cloth top...even though the car just came off the lot.

Thanks for any suggestions...Kenny & Angie '06 Boxster Altas Grey Metallic /Special Leather Cocoa

MNBoxster 10-05-2005 04:48 PM

Hi,

I prefer the RaggTopp Cleaner/Protector. It's pretty easy to use and the results are great! Very good water repellency. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99

deliriousga 10-05-2005 05:45 PM

Welcome aboard! I hope to see you guys here for years of pleasure in your Boxster. :dance:

I used the Renovo cleaner and protectant last time and it was great.

I believe the Raggtop is the only one that is actually approved by Porsche.

If you use the dry cleaner and re-coat with the protectant every 6 months your top will look great and not wear out as quickly. Also, if a bird does his business on it, get it off of there asap to keep the acid from breaking down the fibers.

KShep 10-06-2005 02:46 AM

Many thanks for the replies and warm welcome. :cheers: We used RaggTopp on the Miata fabric top with good results....but the fabric on the Porsche has a different hand to it so we wanted to make sure this product was o-k and provided the desired result.

The tropical depression is moving through GA this morning...happy to report no leaks. I took my car out of the garage this morning and gave up the space to the Porsche so the top could dry out. Used a waffle weave towel to soak up some of the water on it. The Zaino process will begin on the paint as soon as I have time to clay her.

K~

limoncello 10-06-2005 03:56 AM

Welcome aboard! I moved up from Miata too, both great cars. Saw the AWR prepared "race ready" 2006 Miata at Atlanta last week, good looking track car. The Boxster is an astounding car to drive - enjoy!

Porschekid 10-06-2005 04:45 AM

Beautiful 987... much nicer looking than the current generation Miata. Great choice. :cheers:

KShep 10-06-2005 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porschekid
Beautiful 987... much nicer looking than the current generation Miata. Great choice. :cheers:

Thanks for the kinds words. I was hesitant about her interior color choice but it is unique & compliments the pigment of the Atlas Grey.

Also agree about the Miata being an excellent car...but the new gen doesn't do it for me either.

She would have been content with the Mazda...but this was a good opportunity for me to buy into the Porsche and enjoy it vicariously. I enjoy detailing and am looking forward to laying my hands on the sculpted curves of the 987...when it stops raining. :D

Thanks again to all for the warm welcome ...I'll send Angie a link to the thread so she can say hello.

tqtran 10-06-2005 05:44 AM

Welcome to the board.
And I would have to agree, a 987 is a better choice than the MX5 :cheers:

Rail26 10-06-2005 06:22 AM

Great looking 987! After seeing your color wheel caps I think I am going to purchase a set. Thanks!

Perfectlap 10-06-2005 07:03 AM

I recently drove that new Miata and that is one spectacular vehicle. A bit too pricey now but what a world of potential on that platform. Add in some Tein shocks and springs with the latest Falken Azenis and its a cornering monster.

I also departed with my 1.8 Miata for the BoxsterS. I knew it would take a great vehicle to make me forget about a great vehicle.
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member.../789415_25.jpg

SD987 10-06-2005 07:46 AM

Nice pickup...congrats !

A couple of observations:

I agree that the color wheel caps are a must, but I think the clear side markers are even more of an improvement for dark colored 987s.

I wouldn't be in a rush to treat the top. Factory protectant is better than anything you're going to put on there. Interestingly I find that water on the top "beads" better five months later than it did when new. From the numerous net posts I've read there seem to be an equal number of testimonials of how "my top still looks great" between people who use conditioners versus people who just wet the top down. I think the problem with the Boxster top isn't wear per se, it's the pressure circles that appear (posted on this board as well) that have also been "engineered" into the 987 :) despite having a redesigned top. However the "spot" cleaning that Limoncello mentions is key.

I also wouldn't be in a hurry to clay your car, although it seems you have a prescribed regimen you like to follow. I'm extremely a-rententive about my car too and also a huge fan of the benefits of claying, but clay is a "restoration" agent and you aren't restoring at this point. I have a dark 987 myself and from personal experience would agree with those who suggest that you touch the paint as little as possible.

KShep 10-06-2005 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfectlap
I recently drove that new Miata and that is one spectacular vehicle. A bit too pricey now but what a world of potential on that platform. Add in some Tein shocks and springs with the latest Falken Azenis and its a cornering monster.

I also departed with my 1.8 Miata for the BoxsterS. I knew it would take a great vehicle to make me forget about a great vehicle.
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member.../789415_25.jpg

The east coast Mazda dealerships are not discounting the MX-5 much if at all. I expect this to change once the agressive looking Solstice starts showing up...I know it's a Pontiac but corporate did the right thing by allowing this design to reach the consumer mostly unchanged from the concept. It is a unique looking vehicle.

The Porsche dealership had an almost identical "S" on the lot...but was not budging too much on the price. Angie wouldn't make use of the additional performance and preferred the Cocoa Leather. I am enamored of the exhaust note and the sound of the motor....and a bit envious I must admit.

KShep 10-06-2005 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD987
Nice pickup...congrats !

A couple of observations:

I agree that the color wheel caps are a must, but I think the clear side markers are even more of an improvement for dark colored 987s.

I wouldn't be in a rush to treat the top. Factory protectant is better than anything you're going to put on there. Interestingly I find that water on the top "beads" better five months later than it did when new. From the numerous net posts I've read there seem to be an equal number of testimonials of how "my top still looks great" between people who use conditioners versus people who just wet the top down. I think the problem with the Boxster top isn't wear per se, it's the pressure circles that appear (posted on this board as well) that have also been "engineered" into the 987 :) despite having a redesigned top. However the "spot" cleaning that Limoncello mentions is key.

I also wouldn't be in a hurry to clay your car, although it seems you have a prescribed regimen you like to follow. I'm extremely a-rententive about my car too and also a huge fan of the benefits of claying, but clay is a "restoration" agent and you aren't restoring at this point. I have a dark 987 myself and from personal experience would agree with those who suggest that you touch the paint as little as possible.

I agree on the clear side markers.

The top is not beading water at all...is this normal? :confused: I mean it looks saturated, even though a pass with the waffle weave towel did a good job drying it off. I don't intend to treat of wash the top any more than necessary...but this saturated look has me puzzled.

The surface of the paint feels rough to the touch. Before starting the Zaino process I really need to remove any surface contaiminants so they are not sealed in with the polymer layers...and claying is the only way I know how to accomplish this. I only clay once a year or if there is a bug or other stain that is stubborn.

If the paint felt really smooth I would agree that claying was not needed. I'll do a small section and see what the clay pulls out. If it's clean then maybe a good wash willl do the trick. :D

Thanks for the info...I do appreciate any input. I'm no expert on paint and have read that German clear coat is "softer" that what US and other automakers apply, so special care is called for. I'll ease into the process and report any unusual or helpful findings.

edit: here is a link to a free guide on detailing from autopia that I find helpful. Just download onto your desktop. (If a mod knows of a better place for this please move, or if it is against the rules to post such links please pm)

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/freeguide.html