Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2005, 12:51 AM   #1
porsche986

boxster help

Hello, its been ages since i was last on here.

Anyways I have not used my Boxster for about 3 month and yes I tried to get in but the battery is flat. However the problem is that the door is locked so when i open it with the key and sit inside it the bonnet/hood catch is tight and seems locked. How do I open the front to charge the battery to start the car.

Thanks...

Old 10-05-2005, 04:19 AM   #2
PAH

You need to charge it through the 12v (cigarette lighter) socket.

I got a lead from Halfords especially for this. There is a 12v lighter plug on each end, so plug one into the Boxster socket, and one into the socket of another car, which should have the engine running. Give it some time, and then start the engine on your Boxster, and let the alternator do it's job.

Cheers

Paul
PAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 04:22 AM   #3
PAH

Just thinking more about this - is your bonnet release electric or cable? If it's electric, then my point above will allow it to be opened once there is enough charge. However, I seem to remember being told that earlier versions of the Box had a normal bonnet release mechanism via a cable. If this is the case, I've no idea why is would be locked, other than the cable or catch corroding and jamming. In this case (and if you can get to the mechanism) a bit of WD40 may do the job.

Cheers

Paul
PAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 04:46 AM   #4

For more insight into your problem (if it's not electric), check here:

Renntech: How Do I Release Hood with no Battery
98Boxster98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 07:23 AM   #5

HI,

In my '99, there is an auxillary pull cable routed to the Radiator opening on the passenger side (Rt. side). This runs directly to the latch. A somewhat strong pull is need and the latch opens. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 08:33 AM   #6
porsche986

:)

thanks for the help.

i will try the cig lighter idea.

The bonnet catch is down by the drivers door, one for the front and back which according to porsche locks itself if the car has no power. Porsche tell me to so something with the fuse box and something about a red wire which can pop the bonnet up but i aint doing that...

I will give the cig lighter a go I think halfords is still open if I be quick.