Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2005, 11:17 AM   #1

Porsche Car Care Products: Question & Comment

After having my new triple black 05 Box for two weeks, it's time to wash it.

I read in the Porsche manual about their car care products (soap, etc.) and because they said it was important to wash the alloy wheels with a soap with the correct pH, I figured I'd use the Porsche product. (I have also been reading the thread here about other products.)

And, needing oil, I decided to visit the local dealership (Beverly Hills). Yikes! The service people were rude, unhelpful, had no idea about Porsche cleaning products, and didn't even have the oil. The attitude of staff and condition of the dirty, crowded and run-down facility compared unfavorably with my experience at a post office in Soviet-era Bucharest.

Then went to Downtown LA dealership: The building was even rattier, and the guy showed me a service kit in a suitcase, but knew nothing about the products or their availablity for purchase separately. At least they had the oil.

My question: I'm wondering if the Porsche products are worth tracking down? If not, how do i know another wheel soap has the correct pH for the metal alloy?

I must also comment that this experience in the Service/Parts dept. of two dealerships in what must be one of Porsche's major North American markets is shocking. I was expecting from Porsche something comparable--in facilities and staff knowledge--to my experiences with MBZ and Lexus facilties.

I apologize for the long post, but I'm just stunned at the dramatic disconnect between Porsche's product/image and the actual experience.

TVC15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 11:37 AM   #2

Personally, I don't think they are worth the price. There are plenty of Porsche approved or recommended products out there to take care of the car.

What wheels do you have? Mine are the 17" sport wheels that are actually painted silver. They are easy to take care of and a little wax helps fight off the brake dust.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 11:46 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply, John.

Mine are just the standard (17"?) wheels. Guess I'll look into other products. Since everyone at the counter was so clueless about the products we didn't even get to the price.
TVC15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 11:46 AM   #4

go over to www.autopia-carcare.com

They have a wide selection of wheel cleaners that are Porsche safe.
Porsche products I suspect, are nothing more than rebranded products at higher prices. And not very good.

P21S wheel cleaner is very popular. I recommend Waxing your wheels(and calipers) each time you wash them. Claying them after each wash gets off most of the contaminants that a simple wash leaves stuck to the pain surface and returns the shine to full gloss. I use Meguairs NXT, the only product from that brand that I use. (nice brushes though). My favorite Tire dressing is 1Z Rubber and Vinyl. Leaves a deep no shine look.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 02:28 PM   #5

'Lap, have you tried using Klasse on your wheels?
Old 09-29-2005, 02:54 PM   #6

Yes I used to wash the car with Klasse AIO and I would use the SG on the wheels. But sealing the wheels is done so often that carefuly applied thin coats of SG was a little time consuming.
I'm going to try P21S wheel cleaner, allot of crud has gotten into the wheel lugs and I haven't cleaned the barrel of the wheel in weeks.
The 3m Fine Cut and porter cable is also coming out(did wonders on my Black Miata just by hand!). My magnetic racing numbers has swriled the paint on the doors.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 04:26 PM   #7

I got the P21S wheel cleaner when I bought the kit that included the wax and polish. It works well with just a little bit of rubbing on the wheels. With a few extra squirts, the dirt runs right off the calipers.
Old 09-29-2005, 05:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15
Thanks for the reply, John.

Mine are just the standard (17"?) wheels. Guess I'll look into other products. Since everyone at the counter was so clueless about the products we didn't even get to the price.
The price of the "suitcase" at my dealer is $140!!

Three small bottles and an aluminum case, it oughta have handcuffs attached and a secret code to get in!!

www.carcareonline has some great products too. The renovo plastic cleaner is wonderful for the rear window.

Btw, if you ever scratch or gouge a wheel, they are easy to repair and they will look brand new. I'm refinishing a set of phone dials for the 928 with the Porsche silver paint and heat rated bondo.

1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top

Last edited by deliriousga; 09-29-2005 at 05:20 PM.
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote