Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 07:08 PM   #1

Radio on - no sound 2003 - 986 Bose

What should I be checking? The radio is on and looks to be working correctly, but I have no sound.

Just the other day I did hear some popping from the speakers after I hit a small bump in the road. Two days later, no sound.

Thoughts?

unhcampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:14 PM   #2
2001 Arctic Silver 2.7

Garage
Check all the fuses to the amp in the frunk.
Check the amp connectors in the frunk, it could be a loose connection on the back of the radio also.
Simplest check would be the connections on the amp in the frunk

986 - Row D F9 - Audio Option Pack / Amp fuse (15A)
987 - Row D F10 - DSP Amp

Last edited by tony_fury; 11-14-2012 at 07:49 PM.
tony_fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:33 AM   #3

Not sure if it's the same problem you are experiencing, but based upon my research I have found the cdr23 headunit seems to have an intermittent no sound problem where the headunit seems to be functioning fine. My problems occurs when I've driven the car for more than 20 minutes and stop turn off the car and return after a few minutes and restart and will experience no sound coming out of the speakers.

My 2 solutions

#1 if I'm running into somewhere really quick, I will press the power button as soon as I turn off the engine. This will leave the headunit on after removing the key. I also usually turn off the volume so no one can hear that I've left the radio on. Also make sure you don't "arm" the car or press the lock button on the remote, this will automatically shut off the radio. When I come back to the car, turn up the volume, start the car and radio continues to work.

#2 sometimes I'll run into a store and I don't feel like leaving my doors unlocked, I will come back and the radio won't work. Once the car is started, I pull both fuse recommended above and reinsert them after 15 seconds. It works most of the time on the first try, sometimes you have to do it 3 or 4 times before it works.

My radio also always works first time for the day, everyday. I'm starting to think it's a heat issue. Not sure if it's the headunit or amp. With my temporary solutions, I haven't bothered to look for a fix, but a fix would be nice.
ohhh my is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:47 AM   #4
2001 Arctic Silver 2.7

Garage
I googled the CDR23 volume problem and there are lot of people that have problems with no volume.
Some indicate that it tends to only affect AM/FM - switching to AUX or CD is fine.
Some state when it happens, they arm and disarm the car it it works fine.

Even owners with the CDR30 2010 model cars are encountering this problem.
Some speculate that it has to do with loosing the security setting with car and needs resetting.
I never experienced these problems with my CDR220.

unhcampus:
What model radio do you have.?
Old 11-15-2012, 03:54 AM   #5

Garage
The 23 seems to be a problem child... I have a 220 as well and no issues. As you said it seems everytime there is an issue with a 23, simply pulling the fuse for an hour or so seems to fix the problem... I wonder if it gets some sort of surge on start which causes it to seize up.... maybe putting a line filter or cap inline on the 12V feed may help.
Heiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony_fury View Post
I googled the CDR23 volume problem and there are lot of people that have problems with no volume.
Some indicate that it tends to only affect AM/FM - switching to AUX or CD is fine.
Some state when it happens, they arm and disarm the car it it works fine.

Even owners with the CDR30 2010 model cars are encountering this problem.
Some speculate that it has to do with loosing the security setting with car and needs resetting.
I never experienced these problems with my CDR220.

unhcampus:
What model radio do you have.?
For me, no audio at all regardless of audio mode(cd/radio). Mine also fixes itself when I arm and disarm the car, but i feel this way takes longer and is more wear and tear on the locking mechanisms because sometimes it takes 5-10 continuous tries before it works. Also, pressing lock and unlock quickly doesn't work, I find it has a higher chance of working if you press lock, wait 20 seconds(when red light on radio starts to flash) and then disarm it and try turning on the radio..

I feel it has to do a bit with heat and a bit with electrical. Hence it doesn't work right away when you arm/disarm the car. It has a higher probability of working after the red light on the radio starts to flash, meaning the radio is now completely off ???
ohhh my is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:18 PM   #7

OK. It has been 3 days with no radio now. I have pulled the radio, unplugged it for a while and plugged it back in, no sound.

I also pulled the fuse for the radio and amplifier in the fuse panel. Interesting, when I plugged the radio fuse back in, there was a slight spark, no spark when I plugged in the amplifier fuse.

Now I am thinking it is the amplifier. Is that located behind the spare tire? Anyone know how to test the factory amplifier to see if it is powering up?

Thanks guys,
Matt

unhcampus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bose , problems , radio