986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   No premium gas in NJ (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37986)

wwwnyc 11-09-2012 10:18 AM

No premium gas in NJ

Sandy surge hit gasoline wholesale depots, latest info is that things 'won't be back to normal' for 2-3 weeks. NO 93 octane in NJ, can I run regular for daily commute in my 2006 boxster S? Most threads say no problem if only for a tank or two. 35K, great ride, no engine issues, makes me want to go to work in NNJ.

JFP in PA 11-09-2012 10:26 AM

Your DME will step back your timing a bit to compensate, you should be fine.

Flavor 987S 11-09-2012 10:36 AM

You'll be fine. Just use easy throttle inputs until 93 become more available. Don't waste your money on octane boosters.

Flavor 987S 11-09-2012 11:52 AM

Maybe, just maybe, you can use this web site's "fuel finder" and locate some 100 octane 260 GT and balance out your final octane number, if you are super concerned. 260 GT was about $7/gallon this summer retail and $9.50 at the track. I used a couple hundred gallons this summer just to play with.

Sunoco Race Fuels

thstone 11-10-2012 08:30 AM

Agree, you'll be fine. The ECU will compensate for the lower octane. You might lose a teeny bit of power and lose 1-2 mpg but otherwise you won't notice a thing.

jb92563 11-10-2012 08:31 PM

My 2001 Boxster S has a sticker inside on the trunk lid explaining that the DME will compensate for fuel octane level if 91 Octane is not available but performance will be less than optimum but without ill effects.

I'd say no problem, use what you can find.

Mrmaddbrad 11-11-2012 07:13 AM

First off, yes you can run regular with no problems. Honestly, you probably won't even notice a difference.

Second, your car has knock sensors like almost every car since the early 2000's/ late 90's. It will not let itself "ping" which is the fear when running lower octane. Put it in, drive, be happy. No need to buy cheap, crappy octane booster.

However; you may get lower gas mileage.

ProjectM96 11-12-2012 05:14 AM

I called Porsche of North America and asked them about the gas when I bought the car 2 years ago.

They said that 91 is the minimum accepted octane because the engine would be prone to knocking, but they recommended 93 octane for best performance.

Also, I live in Philadelphia. Last week, some gas stations in Philly and Warminster, PA started running out of gas. One Sunoco gas station had nothing but 100 octane race fuel for $8.99/gallon. No more regular, midgrade, or premium fuel. I drove around to another couple of gas stations until I found a pump with gas.

Then I drove to Newark, NJ airport since I was traveling to Michigan. When I got on the NJ Turnpike, I saw a pick up truck. The back was filled with red gas tanks AND he was towing a trailer filled with gas tanks, which is illegal. I read online that people are selling gas on craigslist for as much as $30/gallon in NJ.

shadrach74 11-12-2012 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrmaddbrad (Post 312253)
First off, yes you can run regular with no problems. Honestly, you probably won't even notice a difference.

Second, your car has knock sensors like almost every car since the early 2000's/ late 90's. It will not let itself "ping" which is the fear when running lower octane. Put it in, drive, be happy. No need to buy cheap, crappy octane booster.

However; you may get lower gas mileage.

I don't think the ECU will prevent pinging altogether. What it will do is adjust timing when it senses engine knock or "pinging". In order for the ECU to compensate by retarding ignition timing the engine must ping in order for the ECU to react. The V8 in my 1998 Lex GS400 will ping under partial load at sea level with anything rated under 93. Light detonation is not going to hurt anything, but will not deliver on gas mileage.