986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   PA Winter is Coming (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3783)

PA986S 09-26-2005 11:48 AM

PA Winter is Coming

I am looking for feedback on driving my 01 986S through the PA winter this year...maybe some pros & cons.

I bought the car with the intention of always driving it and made sure to get one with PSM but after owning it this summer I am second guessing it.

My plan is to get some dedicated snow tires (and maybe wheels) and a hardtop if I can afford one.

Any recommendations for tires? I would love to do some Pirelli P nero zero's but am afraid they wont cut it and may have to go with actual snow tires (blizzaks?).

Does the boxster handle the snow? I have no intention of driving it in deep snow only in light snow when I have to...how about the rag top if I can't get a hardtop?

Any experience would be greatly appreciated.

donv 09-26-2005 01:41 PM

Several old threads with snow veterans' experiences, just one sample: http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1937&highlight=winter

xclusivecar 09-26-2005 01:42 PM

I am in Chicago and the last few winters have been pretty harmless...But...I do have the Pirelli P-Zero Nero M+S tires and love them! They stay on my car year round and since I don't track or have many "twisty" roads here they are great year round. The Boxster does take a snow fall of +/- 4 inches from my personal experience as long as you take it easy as you should anyhow. Here's how I think about it--they were built in Europe where it snows, tested in the snow, are rear wheel drive like all BMW, Mercedes, and now lots of American cars and they are in the snow! So...No Problem! :)

99-Boxster-MK 09-26-2005 02:17 PM

I wouldn't be worried about handling in snow as I am sure the boxster is a champ but these are the three reasons I would never drive my boxster in winter.

1) There are many idiots on the road and slippery conditions just exagerate their mistakes and stupidity, so them hitting you is always a possibility, and there is nothing you can do about it.

2) Salt. Just eats your car.

3) Extreme cold, which causes your parts to shrink and increases chance of some damage to internal engine components, especially on start.

The first two reasons are enough to make me put my car away.

Mike

Onad 09-26-2005 03:06 PM

I have a related question

I live in an area with similar winters. Is it okay to keep my summer tires on if I don't drive it in the snow? In other words, at what temperature do the summer tires lose grip and become dangerous?

99-Boxster-MK 09-26-2005 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onad

I live in an area with similar winters. Is it okay to keep my summer tires on if I don't drive it in the snow? In other words, at what temperature do the summer tires lose grip and become dangerous?

That's a very good question.. I believe summer tires do not do very well below freezing as they use a harder compound then winter tires. They may be too hard to deliver good traction.

Mike

Pilot2519j 09-26-2005 06:55 PM

Slow and steady does the trick

Winter whats the big deal? I live in Long Island and really the things to watch is for inclement weather which is tough in any type of car. I drive my Boxster every day snow, sleet and rain. My biggest fears are the yahoo's on SUV blasting on the highway like madmen thinking since they have 4 wheel drive their cars will stop on a dime or corner as it was dry. If they want to test kinetic energy, negative g's and impact crush zones against a tree is OK by me but don't do it against my car. Essensially you have to be very aware of your environment and make sure you don't overdrive the car. Bad weather, snow on the ground, gears mostly I opt for 2nd and third using the brakes as little as possible. If it is sleeting or raining just drop off some speed and more distance is necessary keeping the speed down too for any type of emergency. Traction is similar as driving the old VW bug, which is pretty good. Leave yourself enough room in front of you and hope that the yahoo in the SUV wrapped himself against a tree.
I have not driving it in a blizzard which I imagine I would be testing the limits of the car because of the low clearance of the wheels. I do use forgot to mention Continental winter tires suggested by the dealer. My only problem is at work parking when it is icy. The steepness of the parking lot is a challenge. I get to enjoy my car every day as a lot of the members here.

Pilot2519j 09-26-2005 07:12 PM

Don't use summer tires in winter!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onad

Not at all summer tires are indeed terrible in the snow. The patterns and depth of the tread patterns of a summer tire and winter will be different. Check with the Porsche tire charts of approved winter tires for the car.