986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   heated seats... worth it? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3782)

cfos 09-26-2005 10:14 AM

heated seats... worth it?

From those that have and have not -- any benefits in having heated seats? Any wishing they got them when buying?

RandallNeighbour 09-26-2005 10:17 AM

I wish I had them, even living in Houston. Makes for very nice driving during cool days and nights.

cfos 09-26-2005 10:41 AM

Thanks for your post RN. I lived in Galveston from 99-03 and appreciate hearing from someone in a wam(er) climate. I just added them to my build list.

St. Louis Boxster 09-26-2005 11:39 AM

I live in St. Louis and heated seats are a must have in this weather. Nothing better on those chilly "Top Down" days.

cfos 09-26-2005 11:42 AM

Thanks for your post SLB. I've just a few days left to add any extras on my build.

trogdor 09-26-2005 12:23 PM

I just bought one with heated seats - after many years driving Miatas without and then the boxster with, I'd say go for it. I've gotten to use them a few times on chilly nights and it does help although I suspect it'll be even more welcome on very cold mornings even iwth the top up.

longislander1 09-26-2005 12:41 PM

Have 'em. Used 'em already on a chilly late afternoon. Wouldn't be without them.

bmussatti 09-26-2005 12:52 PM

for $480 it's a good deal

SD987 09-26-2005 01:29 PM

I agree that heated seats in a convertible are a nice touch, but less necessary in the 987 than in other convertibles I've owned (BMW and Saab), because the HVAC in the 987 is definitely superior to other cars both on the heating and cooling end. Maybe it's because the cabin is so small, maybe it's the mid-engine design...don't know, but it works great top up or down.

xclusivecar 09-26-2005 01:33 PM

Get them! The Porsche has some of the fastest heating seats around. Add to that the fact that the heater blows HOT air VERY quickly and you have the perfect one/two combo!

lexuspilot 09-26-2005 02:58 PM

Yes they are a must. I live in the south and do not use them for June to August driving, but they are perfect for the lower temp days.

idjiot 09-26-2005 03:29 PM

Nice to have but not required

Since buying my boxster about 3 weeks ago, I've turned the seats on purposefully just once while driving with the top down. I think it's more of a thing for the girlfriend/wife/female companion.

It's a nice to have but certainly not a requirement in my mind.

QporscheQ 09-26-2005 03:32 PM

I've been told by a few people that for some reason heated seats really help for resale purposes. I have them, and I will never buy another car with out them.

slogans7 09-26-2005 03:43 PM

My wife demanded that any convertible we bought had to have them. She was right. As much as I thought they would be too froo-froo, I now love them. It's great to keep the top down on chilly mornings or evenings, put on a little heat and warm up my, um, seat.

MNBoxster 09-26-2005 04:21 PM

Hi,

Even though I've driven my Boxster quite comfortably in 40°-50° weather (Windstop on, side windows up, heater on vent/floor), I wish I had the heated seat option.

I am intrigued by several aftermarket kits, especially those using a carbon-fibre matrix rather than a traditional single heating coil. I am currently looking into several of the models offered by this company to retrofit into my car: http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/seatheatac.html

These are actually less expensive than the Factory option, of course with these, you do the work.

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99

Rail26 09-26-2005 04:32 PM

I live in the desert and while the days are smokin' hot...the nights are nice and cool and heated seats have been a must. Definitely go for the heated seats...everyone has already listed the reasons!

SJP3003 09-26-2005 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xclusivecar
Get them! The Porsche has some of the fastest heating seats around. Add to that the fact that the heater blows HOT air VERY quickly and you have the perfect one/two combo!

Hey Xclusivecar, I noticed you also had an '05 Elise. Why did you sell it? (I just traded mine for my '04 Boxster S--- the Elise's AC couldn't handle the heat in Miami.) Very cool car otherwise.

deliriousga 09-26-2005 05:12 PM

We don't have them, but it would be nice to have them since the wives/girlfriends are usually cold natured. I think she would let me take the top down at 60F if the seats were heated. :rolleyes:

xclusivecar 09-26-2005 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SJP3003
Hey Xclusivecar, I noticed you also had an '05 Elise. Why did you sell it? (I just traded mine for my '04 Boxster S--- the Elise's AC couldn't handle the heat in Miami.) Very cool car otherwise.

Since having bought the car sight unseen (probably as you did) I didn't realize how unusable the car really was. I was OK with:The size, the handling, and the look. Not OK with:The leaky roof, the leaky rear trunk lid, the lack of AC, the brake fade, the lack of speed, and needing to keep it over 6500 RPM at all times to even move. You hear EVERYTHING-sounds as if it will fall apart, feel EVERYTHING...not a bad thing though.

ALSO-always afraid of getting hit as it has no bumpers and is so small.
ALSO-Yes, it is a very cool looking car and i'm sure its great at a track but here in Chicago you won't find a decent track or a twisty road.

The Boxster just is everything the Elise isn't...to me! Very usable everyday, will keep up or surpass the Elise in performance and comes fully loaded with options unavailable to the Elise.

Enjoy your Boxster...My next car will be another Porsche for sure. Maybe Boxster...maybe Cayman. :cheers:

Pilot2519j 09-26-2005 06:25 PM

To pile on and on, yes get them. If you blast the heat using the dash vents full you can drive top down and be relatively warm in high 30's low 40's with the sun out. As a result of the direct vent heat I never use them at all.