Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2005, 12:05 PM   #1

Garage paint

Hi

This may be off topic/sort of:

We just painted our garage and I've been thinking of painting the cement floor. I've seen commercials about some of the water-sealent type paints that seem to remain fairly clear even if you have a car that leaks every now and again. I've also heard how some of these paints wind up either peeling or are very slippery. I know I can just buy some paint and sprinkle some sand to provide some level of traction, but do any of y'all have a paint product you'd reccomend? I'm not looking to eat of the floor, but I've seen some nice shades of gray that look really nice.

cfos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 01:33 PM   #2

Home Depot in my area recently added a garage floor paint product with multiple color options. I think it is the epoxy-style finish (which is supposed to not lift because of sticking to your tires like paint can). It looked pretty nice as I recall.

There is "painters sand" that you can add to a conventional paint to make it non-slip. I used some exterior porch paint with that to do over a utility trailer floor for my dad and it came out great. Most any paint store will have it - you just stir it into the paint.

There is also that mat stuff that they've used on a couple of the "this old house" projects, but that stuff is expensive - a plastic/rubber overlay tile which lifts the floor surface up off the slab by what looked like a 1/4 inch or so. They have a tapered edging that trims it off. Looked nice but had to be way more than painting.

Try also searching the old threads for something like "Ultimate Garage" - I seem to remember a few winners posted there with some tips/tricks.
Old 09-26-2005, 04:24 PM   #3

I had my garage professionally done. If any of you have been in a air plane hanger, it's usually done in a nice golssy shade of gray. Well i liked the painted floor, but didn't like the color. So i talked to some people out at my local air port and they said they could order just about any color i wanted. I had them order red for me to match my 911. It took about 5 days before they were done and i could park back in the garage, but it was well worth it. 4 years later the paint still looks great.
Old 09-26-2005, 04:38 PM   #4

if it's not a brand new floor without a drop of oil or grease on it, you'll have to clean it thoroughly with an acid wash to get it prepped for paint. I looked into it and learned this in the process.

Even if you have a clean floor, lots of the floor paint instructions suggest acid washing anyway just to roughen up the smooth cement to cause the paint to adhere well.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 06:02 PM   #5

I did my two car garage with Rustoleum Epoxy from Home Depot and I love it. Once the garage was clear I did oil patches with degreaser which wasn't too hard then washed it a few times. Before painting they supply a cleaning solution in the kit you go over it with.

The epoxy goes on well, I had half a can left so should have been more generous. With the pain chip sprinkles it looks nice and is less slippy. I can be a little slippy when wet, I'd suggest adding the grip sand stuff to the mix if I were starting over.

I dumped 2-3 quarts of oil on it a few weeks ago when I did my oil change, wiped right off with newspaper and didn't leave a merk, not a mark. I love it. Best $99 I ever spent.

Once the garage was cleared I spent a day, cleaned the floor in the morning, painted in the afternoon. If you do it put it on thick, buy an extra can then return it if you don't use it (you shouldn't need it but you don't want to run out).
ukchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 09:00 PM   #6

Thanks y'all for he suggestions. The floor is a couple of years old (2nd owners) and I'm just looking for something functional that also looks nice. Hopefully, take care of it this weekend.

cfos is offline   Reply With Quote