986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Costco and Tires (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37819)

hqduong 10-22-2012 08:39 PM

Costco and Tires

I am curious how many people have used Costco for their tire installation and mounting?

I heard they have great equipment. Also I can't find anyone to even come close to their prices with tires around here.

I have had many good experiences with Costco for my other cars. I have had one bad experience where they forgot to tighten my lug nuts.

I'm more concerned my car or rims getting scratched than anything else.

Ghostrider 310 10-22-2012 09:01 PM

When next shopping at costco, watch some of the work. What we all want in a tire shop is for the tech to take extra care. One old school maneuver that still works like a charm is to show up with a couple dozen cookies, doughnuts, whatever. Watch how much goodwill they purchase.

Gforrest2 10-22-2012 10:16 PM

Except for my Boxster, I get all my tires at Costco. They seem to use reasonable care and the prices can't be beat, especially with the $70 off they seem to have every month. But I put Nittos on my P-car (from Discount Tires.com), which Costco doesn't carry. And I took the wheels in off the car. Just like oil changes, I don't trust the technicians with torquing anything down, be it a lug nut or oil drain plug.

Skrapmot 10-22-2012 10:21 PM

Discount tire/America's Tires will match and beat any Costco price by 10%, just print out the web page and take it in.

Also, Costco will only put on OEM recommended sizes on your car due to liability issues, I found this out trying to put 31's on my Wrangler stock wheels and they refused, so I printed out the web page with the tires price installed, went to Americas Tires, and they beat the price. Last time I ever bought tires at Costco.

Flavor 987S 10-23-2012 06:55 AM

I would never take my Porsches to Costco. I purchase all my tires (about 6 per year) from Tire Rack. I drive to South Bend (<200 miles round trip) and have them istalled there. Excellent pricing, service, and install.

Kenny Boxster 10-23-2012 08:06 AM

I've had good experience with my discount tire. They are pretty overloaded where I am, but was surprised they didn't scratch a caliper or rim.

kilnred 10-23-2012 08:20 AM

Costco put tires on my 951 a few years ago. One of the rears had a puncture and had to be replaced under road hazard. That particular Bridgestone was no longer available though. Costco replaced both rears with the newer Bridgestone model, no questions asked. I've since moved out of the area, but if I were still there I'd take the 986S back.

kls 10-23-2012 11:05 AM

I bought a set of tires at Costco for my truck and they could never get them balanced properly, and they said the wheel was at fault. I took them to America's Tire and they rebalanced them for free and got it right. I found that the prices at America's tire were as good as Costco, and I've been going there ever since.

thstone 10-23-2012 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kls (Post 310355)
I bought a set of tires at Costco for my truck and they could never get them balanced properly, and they said the wheel was at fault. I took them to America's Tire and they rebalanced them for free and got it right. I found that the prices at America's tire were as good as Costco, and I've been going there ever since.

Funny, I've had multiple problems getting tires balanced correctly at the America's Tire nearest to me. I even had to contact their headquarters (the management team there was very helpful and supportive). They finally got it right on the 3rd try when the manager stood there and watched the tech do the work.

Generally, I am not too selective when it comes to tire installation because there is nothing unique about installing tires for a Boxster as compared to any other car.

jcb986 10-23-2012 12:50 PM

Discount Tires, they are very careful when handling Porsches. Very impressed with their operation and care they take when working with aluminum wheels.

Deserion 10-23-2012 01:00 PM

I take my cars to Discount Tire and haven't had an issue. The one time the broke a tire pressure sensor on my GTI, they ordered a new one right away and handled the issue very well.

Beelzy 10-23-2012 01:53 PM

Another vote for Discount Tire.

I have had them replace tires a couple of times, best price and never a mark on the rims.

Spidey 10-23-2012 05:45 PM

And another vote for discount tire. Those guys love working on P-cars. A welcome reprieve after so many Honda's, Nissan's, Toyota's, and such... Just check them on price, cuz they will stick it to you if they can.

Idaho Red Rocket 3 10-23-2012 08:08 PM

Costco tires lost me about 10 years ago when they refused to honor the mileage warranty on my F150 daily driver.

milliemax 10-24-2012 05:15 AM

Great service and tires from Costco. I buy alot of tires and have never had a problem. Before Costco, nothing but problem after problem.