Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2012, 02:41 PM   #1
jakesbox

Plastic window

Can the plastic windows get changed on these cars without chaning the entire top?

trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 03:04 PM   #2
Ex Esso kid

Yes but they only come out flawless if done by someone with experience doing the same kind of work. You're in Fla, take it to a boat canvass shop, changing the "glass" as they call it would be a cakewalk for them.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:29 PM   #3
Theoretical propagandist

Garage
Ghostrider is spot on! What ends up happening is you take the entire top off with the frame and they are able to sew in a new window. Sounds difficult, but actually it is easier then replacing the whole top.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:41 AM   #4

Yes, I replaced my plastic window for $300 at Rydon Auto and Marine in Philadelphia, PA.

That was nearly 2 years ago. Still looks like new. Very good quality DOT approved window was put in. No leaks.

When they installed it they told me not to take it to the car wash for a week and to park it in the sun for the first few days.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:59 AM   #5

Does anyone know of a place that will do this repair in the Atlanta, GA area? My window, which is in immaculate shape, came out last weekend. The stitching came loose in the top left corner while I was caught in a torrential downpour. By the time I got home the entire top section and both sides have become un-sewn. I was going to upgrade to a 2003 top but that seems to be a little complicated to do on a 99. I have called around to several shops in the area the only thing they will do is replace the entire top. Please let me know if you have any advice.

Thanks,
Willliam
Propes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:14 AM   #6
jakesbox

I started doing some homework last night after the replys I got. I found a shop on google - typed in convertible top repair and about 15 shops came up including marine shops...but there were quite a few that specialized in windo repair for auto. My window is great as well, starting to show the slightest wear and also have about a 1/2 inch cut but does not let water through so eventually I will replace. I figured my top is perfect...no wear at all to it so why change the whole thing for over a grand!

You may want to look up a guy in ATL named Brian Gwaltney who owns South Atlanta Motorsports. I bought a 356 speedster replica from him and he is WELL connected in the auto world in ATL. Use my name...Todd Rimer and tell him I said hello. He may know of a good company to fix that issue...
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:41 PM   #7

any good top repair in maryland tks eddie whitedogs@comcast.net
whitedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectM96 View Post
Yes, I replaced my plastic window for $300 at Rydon Auto and Marine in Philadelphia, PA.

That was nearly 2 years ago. Still looks like new. Very good quality DOT approved window was put in. No leaks.

When they installed it they told me not to take it to the car wash for a week and to park it in the sun for the first few days.
Well for other members from the area reading this I have to add that I also had my window replaced there and wasn't as lucky. First, the prices went up to about $400 with taxes. The typical price for a window swap is about $500 - $600.
Second, I learned that the factory seal that keeps water from getting in at the stitch holes is lost when you simply do the "remove and stitch in new window" method. It was raining that day and on the ride home the window was already leaking from the new stitch holes in the plastic window. A silicone sealant should have been applied over the threading. And the stitch work on this day was not good. The line wasn't straight and little bits of thread was bunched up at places.
Also, there were weird creases in the canvas near the clamshell that never went away. When I asked they said "this is one is not so bad some are worse".
I also give this particular shop a very poor grade on how they put everything back together. Straps were not fastened on the interior and some glue that was separated during the removal was not re-glued and this was plaingly visible.
And most annoyingly the person doing the job did not vaccum away all of the debris left on the rear shelf.

The moral of the story is that a window swap is a time consuming job and if the price is on the low end things aren't going to be done as thoroughly. Ask about water proof sealing (as how they address this) and without sounding like an A-hole let them no you plan to inspect the work thoroughly before you get out the credit card. My plan is to replace the top altogether with a glass window but after some costly repairs I wasn't eager to spend $1,500 when $400 would hold me over for a year or two. I was also weary of putting on an aftermarket top that wouldn't fully stretch like the OEM and provided limited access to the engine bay for maintenace.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 01-02-2013 at 07:04 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote