Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2012, 09:04 AM   #21

Thanks a lot 7614!, you answered all my questions!
Now a couple more:
1. Where did you get the projectors and angel eyes?
2. How did you connect the H1 projector to the headlight? did you have to manufacture something?

Thanks again for all the help!

sasha055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:28 PM   #22

damn that looks good. i want!!! but my lens is yellowed from the inside. tried buffing the outside, but it seems like it's the inside. anyone else have that issue? i am so tempted to send you mine 7614.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:36 PM   #23

If your lens is yellow I can also refinish them. Many people burn the inner lens using the Silverstar bulbs trying to achieve that HID look, but the bulbs just ran too hot and burned/yellowed them. This is what happened to my original amber headlights.

Sasha055......You should really Google that place I mentioned in one of my previous posts, I think you will find a lot of answers.

Last edited by boxster7614; 09-20-2012 at 08:43 PM.
boxster7614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:51 AM   #24

pics with the halos on! MOAR!
cbbepop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:14 PM   #25

I've tried to take pics of the lights lit up but my iphone just blurs the light. I need to find a camera that take good pics at night.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:25 PM   #26

I didn't notice the angel eye remark at first. do you have another pic of it? like you said, it's hard to see or even notice in the other pics you posted.

nothing you can do about the "amber" that is painted on the lens huh? (except paint over them, like i see people posting). but i want mine to be clear like yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxster7614 View Post
As I said I don't have a how to. Yes the inside of your light looks like that after you break off the front lens. But it's chrome not black, see first post there is a pic before I painted it with a semi gloss black paint for plastic. As for the 3 bulbs, the original setup used 1.high beam 2.low beam 3. A very small back light. On this set up the projector uses a movable cutoff shield so blubs 1 & 2 are combined into one light, thus the name bi-xenon. When you turn the high beams on it acts as a relay to activate a selinoid that moves the shield and allows the light to function as a high beam. This is how many OEM hid lights are setup. The 3rd light I connected to the angel eye which is hard to see in the pics but it's a bright white ring that lights up around the projector like BMW uses.

I agree with the remark about the led lights, i think they look a little cheesy and look like a cheap aftermarket light. But I kinda like their led tail lights.

As for the car, front bumper is a polyurethane GT3 look bumper, with TA style side skirts, splitters on rear bumper, robins top with back glass w defroster, 18" ruff racing wheels. Painted calipers red with Porsche logos & high temp cleared over.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:00 PM   #27

Headlights

Your Headlights look waaaay better than the new black housed LED ones. I have the litronic headlights and I want to do the inside like yours. I would appreciate your help if you have some time to advise me on how to get started.
Boxyouout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:21 AM   #28

I never could get my camera to take a good pic of the angel eyes at night so I snapped one in the early morning.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:52 AM   #29

maybe I missed it but what side markers are you using? They seem to be jutting out a bit
cbbepop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:59 AM   #30

I am interested in doing my own retrofit in the near future.
However, since it would take me several days to experiment (my first retrofit)
I would buy a set of new oem lights or aftermarket equivilant so I could drive the car and still work on the retrofit.

My question is where do you go to find the cheapest headlight units?
I am thinking I saw the cheapest were about $600 for a pair for oem from partsgeek.com.
I am a BMW guy so I am used to seeing a pair of DEPO or DJAutos (which are both proven to be equal in quality as oem) for like $100-$300.
DarthVaderSeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:13 PM   #31

Hi,

I'm interested in having you rebuild my headlight assembly to look like yours.

Please let me know if you're interested.

Thanks,
Dan
Dan996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:09 AM   #32

I would also be interested in having you work on my headlight assemblies. I would prefer to buy a set that is finished and just send you my existing set as cores that you can work on for your next customer. The reason is that I worry that one gets messed up in the process.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:56 AM   #33

Vader welcome to the overpriced Porsche world. I've never seen cheap lights.

Sent a PM Dan.

Sorry Ckrikos I don't have any cores
Old 02-08-2013, 01:09 PM   #34

Garage
Can anything be done with the amber on this style? The de ambering seems to be on the style with the minimal amount of amber showing like yours.

iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:38 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
Can anything be done with the amber on this style? The de ambering seems to be on the style with the minimal amount of amber showing like yours.

Yes something can be done.
Replace them with the clear headlights or the Depo LED's
SF-Rockster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:08 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxster7614 View Post
I want this mod!! (painting the inside black of course...I already have the HID bulbs). best mod I've seen in 10 years.

resemblance...
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 02-13-2013 at 03:23 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:35 AM   #37

Garage
I'm going to try to take on this project later this winter since the standard light output sucks on the Box.

theretrofitsource seems to have the best setups for DYI. I've been following this for years and never took the plunge.

I think I'm going to do the Amber angle eyes to lessen the BMW look and the Panamera shrouds.

I do love the way yours came out with the blackout and I saw your old post before about the 996 and 986 light changes with your mixed set.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:39 AM   #38

I love the look of this retrofit. I think it totally smartens up the look of the car. But I've got a couple of concerns around safety that I need to deal with before taking the plunge:

1. Is this retrofit dangerous to other drivers? While I believe this approach is much safer than the HID capsule, there are concerns (Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply):

The projector has to be mounted very precisely with respect to its centre of gravity; if not, it will shake out of alignment (and eventually off its mounts).

Many sealants, adhesives, and paints produce gases that attack and fog lamp optics.

The low beam projector has to be aimed correctly relative to the high beam or else the finished headlamp will be aimable so the lows or the highs are pointed in the correct direction, but not both.

Once the headlamp has been opened, it is very challenging to get a good and durable seal against moisture and dirt ingress.

2. Will I get pulled over and told that the lights are illegal and I have to have them replaced? Anything but the original factory HID setup as offered by the original manufacturer and designed for that SPECIFIC vehicle is not legal anywhere in North America... and in my jurisdiction in particular (BC). The BC MVA, Regulations and Provincial Inspection standards prohibit the "conversions" of anything but factory.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:29 AM   #39

Anyone having any issues with the Morimoto Minis? According to this site they are plagued with quality problems. I'd love to do this retrofit, but not multiple times and with unsure end results.

How To: Pre-Install Morimoto Mini Tips
Old 03-16-2013, 02:43 PM   #40

Wow. These look great!

kefboy is offline   Reply With Quote