Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2020, 05:24 AM   #5861
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
No worries. Your photo is the perfect size.

tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 05:47 AM   #5862

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy583 View Post
No worries. Your photo is the perfect size.
Thanks!

Its crazy how large the photo is from a phone these days. Lol.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited by GLImages; 07-15-2020 at 06:54 AM.
GLImages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 02:38 PM   #5863

Drilled a hole in my bottom plate and changed the trans-axle fluid.
willw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 09:35 AM   #5864

Installed the Rennline Rear sub frame brace and Tie Downs. Pretty straight forward install but here are some notes/ tips:

My 02 required studs to be punched out... take nut from stud and thread on bottom of studs for a bigger target and tap out with a hammer (studs are splined like wheel studs)

My aftermarket second cat delete pipes were in the way so use a pry bar between exhaust pipe and sway bar to gain clearance needed to remove stud

Apply antiseize on joints going into bar

Apply small amount of blue threadlocker to all bolts and studs... there are not too many times that the subframe braces have to come off but better safe than sorry?

I couldn't quite get logo visible from the back when I tightened up the bar but it didn't really bother me but if you want logo out the back, set up joints and turns accordingly.
aparke4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 12:58 PM   #5865
2003 Base 5-speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxxster View Post
Replaced the amber turn signal bulbs with some chrome ones.

Probably something nobody will notice but me, but not bad for $10 and 5 min

Before on left, after on right:

Both done:

I’d notice cuz I did the same. Suits the 986.2 clears tails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
grc0456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 06:23 PM   #5866

Garage
Wow! That blows...I'm glad your OK. If you drive at night where I live, the constant awareness of deer incidents are very stressful at speed. It will immediately slow you down. You just can't trust those suckers especially during rut not to mention hunting season in the mornings. Never hit one but have come close on motorcycles.
Again I'm glad your OK. You can fix the car.
Phat Hippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 12:53 AM   #5867

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat Hippy View Post
Wow! That blows...I'm glad your OK. If you drive at night where I live, the constant awareness of deer incidents are very stressful at speed. It will immediately slow you down. You just can't trust those suckers especially during rut not to mention hunting season in the mornings. Never hit one but have come close on motorcycles.

Again I'm glad your OK. You can fix the car.
Thanks. I appreciate the kind words. It definitely could've been a lot worse. The deer can get pretty bad around here as well. I commute to work pre-dawn, so I see at least one deer everyday. It was only a matter of time. Haha.

I'm definitely gonna fix her. Will try and source a used artic silver fender and will probably need a pair of used headlights once I get through these few other projects. Timing wasn't great, but never is with sort of thing.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited by GLImages; 07-17-2020 at 02:47 AM.
GLImages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 11:17 AM   #5868

Garage
Love the new steering wheel. Please do tell where you got it and how much $.
Secondary Cat delete
Top Speed Test pipes and Exhaust
NJBoxster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 11:34 AM   #5869

Garage
thank you!
I got it off Ebay from a seller named Tainik.
After shipping and tax, it came out to just under a grand.
Looks like Tainik increased his price shortly after I purchased though..

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBoxster2000 View Post
Love the new steering wheel. Please do tell where you got it and how much $.
2000 Boxster S, SPEC stage 1 clutch, Fabspeed sport headers, Fabspeed secondary cat deletes, Billy&Boat muffler, EVOM air intake, Ben006's Custom Short Shifter, Pedro's TechnoBrace, Eibach rear sway bar, De-snorkeled, Fred's custom projector HL
Dubaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 11:09 AM   #5870
Who's askin'?

It's "get some tinkering done on the cars" day today.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 07:23 AM   #5871

Interior lights and side grill LED.

rflores2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 09:11 AM   #5872

Noticed a roof sag just below the window on my 03. Had to remove the rear roof weatherstrip/seal and glue the roof tail cloth back in place on the rear bow. wedged the rear seal back in the groove. Result is niice tight top between rear window and clamshell. Guess double sided tape is only good for about 17 years.
obthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 01:23 PM   #5873

Mostly troubleshooting the annoying alarm issue that I keep getting when the car is running on my 01' 986S.

Feel like I keep finding more surprises to this car the more I try to fix it ! :P

Today & Yesterday:

- Troubleshooted the on-going alarm issue in my car. (When the car is ignitioned, the alarm will keep going off)
- This goes away when I pull the C3 fuse, but not the other alarm fuses, my ability to control windows also goes away D: .
- Read through the electrical wiring diagrams to find C3's significance, the only alarm sensor it controls seems to be the tilt sensor (this is a $162 part, so if this is the issue I will probably just try to find a way to bypass it).
- I didn't want to take apart electronics to get to the tilt sensor yet as I'm trying to get the car ready for emissions, so don't want to reset it.
- The alarm system in general still works without C3 fuse, it's way more sensitive to random things than I thought and that alarm horn is loud. (I discoverd last week, the prev. prev. owner had disconnected the horn, so i reconnected it to see if it would solve the alarm issue.)
- Discovered a small oil leak that I haven't been able to diagnose, I don't have a floor jack / jack stands yet but will get it once I get my new credit card with 5% cashback.
- Found random cut wires under the dash on the passenger side, and a missing HVAC air duct (why would anyone remove this!?!!) LOL - I'll probably just go to home depot and DIY a duct and make a connector of some sort. Never noticed this.
- Found that the fuel door lock actuator does not work, or is disconnected. Will need to get a jack at some point, take off the wheel and remove the liner to see the electronics there.

Looks like such a simple mechanism. Finding this car is more and more of a gold mine for small problems, which will be fun and expensive to fit. I can hear Scotty Kilmer yelling money pit at me.
yummyporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 01:24 PM   #5874

Where did you get those seat covers? They look great !
yummyporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 04:55 PM   #5875

Today I did an autocross at Pocono Raceway that was put on by the NNJR and Risentoter PCA Regions, and I met fellow forum member eicheldp who was also there. It was hot but a lot of fun.
Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 08:35 PM   #5876

Finally get rid of the very annoying double beep issue on my car. Have inspected just about all microswitches on the doors and arm rest lid - opened up the lock mechanisms on both doors and trying to sort the issue also on mechanical wear items there... no lock in over a month.

Issue was a bad connection on the rigth side door wiring harness to door lock mechanism. Cleaned it well with electric cleaner and lightly sanded the contact points. Problem solved

I also ordered a new wire harness connector to be installed there probably during next winter.
Old 07-23-2020, 08:02 AM   #5877

Garage
Got her washed and took a late night cruise

2000 Boxster S, SPEC stage 1 clutch, Fabspeed sport headers, Fabspeed secondary cat deletes, Billy&Boat muffler, EVOM air intake, Ben006's Custom Short Shifter, Pedro's TechnoBrace, Eibach rear sway bar, De-snorkeled, Fred's custom projector HL
Dubaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 04:27 PM   #5878

I had a contraption of a short garden hose attached to my shopvac. It was used to suck out sediment in an old water heater.

Used that to clean out the radiators! Worked like a charm!
Rayrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 06:16 PM   #5879

Just got notice that my Torq polisher, pads and Meguiars cut compound and polish are ready to pick up. I'm expecting promising results. I wonder how well it will smooth out the dents.

It will be insured and on the road again next week, so I'm happy. Been too long.
Zzorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 11:05 PM   #5880

Garage
I noticed an occasional moment of rough idle recently.
So pulled the Throttle Body off for a cleaning. The car has 106,000 miles on it and from the looks of the Throttle Body it had never been cleaned. I also removed and cleaned the Idle Control Valve. It feels like my efforts were worth the 3 hours and $21. worth of gaskets. The car seems to have a smoother response and so far I have not experienced the rough idle and I've gained at least 20 more HP!! (could be imagined HP!!!)