986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   New Door Lock Mechanism and still issues (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37214)

97 Boxster 09-03-2012 12:54 PM

New Door Lock Mechanism and still issues

All,

I was having issues with my door locks NOT working and my drivers window not dropping as it should for entry into the car:mad: so after much contemplation and $$$$:eek: I decided to purchase a new Door Lock Mechanism to solve the problem. I knew that I was having issues as there was a short in my connection from the harness into the Door Lock Mechanism and so it was time to pull the trigger and get the part replaced.

Upon replacing the part now both of my windows are having issues dropping. I disconnected the battery to reset everything and was told there was a way to reprogram/train my windows. Can somebody help? The lock mechanism is working great and the swap is very simple but I really need to have the windows working properly. PLEASE HELP!!

Spinnaker 09-03-2012 01:21 PM

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/18619-help-please-window-doesnt-clear-top.html

97 Boxster 09-03-2012 03:29 PM

Thanks Spinn. I will give it a shot right now. Crossing my fingers that this will work.

97 Boxster 09-04-2012 08:33 PM

Come on, NO HELP on this one? I need to know if there is a reset code or if I need to now replace the regulator. Somebody PLEASE give me some advice.

tony_fury 09-04-2012 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 97 Boxster (Post 304748)
Come on, NO HELP on this one? I need to know if there is a reset code or if I need to now replace the regulator. Somebody PLEASE give me some advice.

Question:
Does the inside door handle trigger the window to drop?
With the door panel off did you do any testing of the both door handles?

My passenger outside door handle intermittently doesn't drop the window.
When I tested the inside door handle it drops every time. This leads me to believe the outside door switch is the one at fault.
I haven't pulled the trigger to replace it yet.

These cars are full of micro switches attached to handles, while the handle keeps working the switch wears out.

Window reset procedure
The window reset procedure just lets the car remember what the last position of the window was. When the window is fully up and the door handle is pulled, the car runs the window down for a time interval that should be enough for the window to clear the top.
If the window still does not clear then it’s a mechanical issue, it's possibly a window regulator.

Could be slop in the cable.
It's my understanding that the regulator develops slack in it over time from use and the cables stretching. When the motor runs it does not move as far as it should.
Taking up the slack in the cable instead of moving the window.

Hope that helps
T

97 Boxster 09-05-2012 05:51 AM

See responses below

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony_fury (Post 304752)
Question:
Does the inside door handle trigger the window to drop? It makes noise but does NOT drop.
With the door panel off did you do any testing of the both door handles? No, I did not.

My passenger outside door handle intermittently doesn't drop the window.
When I tested the inside door handle it drops every time. This leads me to believe the outside door switch is the one at fault.
I haven't pulled the trigger to replace it yet.

These cars are full of micro switches attached to handles, while the handle keeps working the switch wears out.

Window reset procedure
The window reset procedure just lets the car remember what the last position of the window was. When the window is fully up and the door handle is pulled, the car runs the window down for a time interval that should be enough for the window to clear the top.
If the window still does not clear then it’s a mechanical issue, it's possibly a window regulator. Crap! The passenger side was working before I replaced the Door Lock Mechanism on my drivers side and now both are acting the same way. No drop from inside the car or outside the car. :(

Could be slop in the cable.
It's my understanding that the regulator develops slack in it over time from use and the cables stretching. When the motor runs it does not move as far as it should.
Taking up the slack in the cable instead of moving the window.

Hope that helps
T

dagdisco03 09-05-2012 05:54 AM

There are 3 micro switches. Inside door handle, Outside door handle and the door latch assembly. Each does it's own thing. Pull inside handle window should go down 1/2 inch. Release handle window should stay down. If you let go of the handle and the window goes up it's the micro switch in the latch assembly.

Same for the outside if you are pulling the handle on the outside and the window does not go down it's the outside handle. If it goes down and back up with the release of the handle it's the latch that has the issue.

I don't think there is timing involved. If I open a door the window stays down forever until I close the door.

97 Boxster 09-05-2012 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dagdisco03 (Post 304770)
There are 3 micro switches. Inside door handle, Outside door handle and the door latch assembly. Each does it's own thing. Pull inside handle window should go down 1/2 inch. Release handle window should stay down. If you let go of the handle and the window goes up it's the micro switch in the latch assembly.

Same for the outside if you are pulling the handle on the outside and the window does not go down it's the outside handle. If it goes down and back up with the release of the handle it's the latch that has the issue.

I don't think there is timing involved. If I open a door the window stays down forever until I close the door.

Dag, can I just get the microswitches?

dagdisco03 09-05-2012 01:11 PM

Only the switch for the outside handle is sold on it's own. PN# 996-613-126-00

or 996-613-125-00

Inside handle and latch are full assemblies. I think the latch is the most common to go.

TerryT 03-11-2014 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dagdisco03 (Post 304770)

Hi, what is it then if the window just doesn't go up once you close the door, it just stays down ?
Is it the latch ?
Thanks
Terry