Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2012, 09:55 AM   #1
Kaili <3

Garage
Fixing Air leak (cabin noise)

My driver side window has an air leak that gets louder the faster over 60 I go. Under 60 it's not really noticeable.

Is this common? Normal? If not how can I fix it? I know that I can put my hand on the area it's leaking and quite it down a bit but I'm sure what my options are. It roughly on the area where the glass goes from the front pillar to the convertible top.

Passenger said they don't notice it on their side but they can hear the noise coming from my window.

shadowprincess25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:35 PM   #2
1999 base

Garage
i have the same issue.
what puzzles me, is the fact that the rubber door seal looks perfect.
i'm not even sure where exactly the noise is coming from, but its more or less from the same area you described.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:38 PM   #3

Garage
I would start with gently cleaning the seals & glass, then squirt some silicone on the seals. Then compare both windows fit & condition of the seals for wear or fit differences. Also when you put the windows down & up any differences noted including fit against the roof. Usually if this condition didn't exist when the car is new it's caused by grabing the glass when opening or closing the door or the window closed height is out of adjustment.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 02:04 PM   #4
Kaili <3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
I would start with gently cleaning the seals & glass, then squirt some silicone on the seals. Then compare both windows fit & condition of the seals for wear or fit differences. Also when you put the windows down & up any differences noted including fit against the roof. Usually if this condition didn't exist when the car is new it's caused by grabing the glass when opening or closing the door or the window closed height is out of adjustment.
I hate people that touch my glass >

I'll go grab some silicon over the weekend. I know that when I open the door if I just start pulling before the window auto rolls down, it can get stuck. I started opening it a bit slower to allow time for the window to go down a bit before pulling.

My seals are in good shape but the silicon never hurt anything, I do still need to find out where that squeaky rubber sound from my steering column is coming from.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:58 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowprincess25 View Post
I hate people that touch my glass >

I'll go grab some silicon over the weekend. I know that when I open the door if I just start pulling before the window auto rolls down, it can get stuck. I started opening it a bit slower to allow time for the window to go down a bit before pulling.

My seals are in good shape but the silicon never hurt anything, I do still need to find out where that squeaky rubber sound from my steering column is coming from.
Yeah opening the doors is a 2 step process that takes some time to accept. Outside or inside, lift handle as far as it will go, THEN pull or push on the door depending on which side you are on. Sounds easy but it takes some practice!
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 03:06 PM   #6
Kaili <3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
Yeah opening the doors is a 2 step process that takes some time to accept. Outside or inside, lift handle as far as it will go, THEN pull or push on the door depending on which side you are on. Sounds easy but it takes some practice!
My camaro did it too but it never caught on the frame.