Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2012, 08:55 AM   #1

boxster newbie maintainance ?s

Ive had a 2001 s@62000k mis for 2 mos now and put a few thousand miles on . I'm planning on doing fall maintenance service and am looking for advice. it seems to run well but does have a minimal oil leak (?near cam shaft area)which will be addressed this fall while doing that, I want to make sure I do additional steps while we're in there incl possibly : water pump replace, thermostat replace, related hoses, serpentine belt inspect/replace
Review of old service records does not reveal anything major done in past.Any thoughts on what else should be done for preventive maintenance??

Rlwalker799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:01 AM   #2

I hate to sound like a broken record but I would prememtively change the IMS and replace the clutch while its apart. People say to wait but I think that's not a good plan since all you're doing is saving a few hundred bucks by pushing back the clutch job a few years.

If I had any doubts that this car sat for long periods (wasn't run at least once a week), had oil changes less frequently than once a year, and Mobil 1 was used during those infrequent oil changes then I'd definitely prioritize the IMS upgrade. All other maintenance jobs seem to be window dressing. I might also change the water pump, I think an expert on here said it should be replaced every 3 years to avoid a major problem.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:39 AM   #3

You can do the 60K maintenance and while in the air remove the skid guard and see where the leak is coming from. Could be a simple issue such as spark plug tubes. TIPs will usually get a leak on the final drive, right side, at the axle and drip down and also accumulate on the upper side of the skid plate. Just had mine fixed. If the oil is dripping right in the center where the tranny and engine meet then you could have a leak which could be rear main seal, tranny front seal or the IMS. Start by getting familiar with your toy...know her well.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:11 PM   #4
Theoretical propagandist

Garage
If your doing the clutch do the flywheel as well. You are getting close to EOL on that thing.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:26 PM   #5

p.s.
don't flush the coolant. One forum member indicated that if this was not done precisely, it could lead to splitting in the tank which is a known problem with these cars. That's $600 you didn't need to spend.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:08 PM   #6
Track rat

Garage
Front motor mount. Guarantee it's torn and an easy job while you are doing WP/Tstat.