986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Burning Rubber Smell (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37098)

Rfromet 08-28-2012 07:15 AM

Burning Rubber Smell

I've noticed for a while now that after driving, there is a burning rubber smell (not from the tires) coming from behind the drivers side vent (or at least it seems like it).

I've had it at to the dealer and they can't find anything with the engine. The car acts perfectly normal, doesn't run hot or give any codes. The tires are in perfect order, and so are the breaks. I'm baffled...

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Rick

Crono0001 08-28-2012 07:45 AM

Are you sure it's rubber? Perhaps it's more like burnt clutch?

JAAY 08-28-2012 07:51 AM

Make sure nothing is resting against the headers on that side. Like the P/S line or anything

The Radium King 08-28-2012 09:07 AM

i have the same problem, but only when i give it a lot of gas and quickly remove my foot from the clutch ...

joking. i get the same thing, and it's a common complaint. some of the things i've heard is rubber particles from the tires getting on the exhaust, possible worn belt, platic bag stuck to the muffler.

1olddude 08-28-2012 04:31 PM

I get the same smell and decided it is a product of all the heat being dispelled from the rear near the tires. Having new rubber really compounds the smell. The first time I parked my "new" 2002 S in my garage I thought something was really wrong and contacted the dealer immediately that I had just purchased the car from. They hauled it back to the dealership and did a thorough inspection of brakes, clutch, motor and everything else they could think of to check but found everything to be in perfect order with only 8700 miles on it. I had a PPI done before that which concluded the car was just like a new one from the factory. I have put 2500 thrilling miles on the car in the two months that I have owned it. IMO it's just the Boxster smell and until someone or something proves otherwise, I will just sniff with pride.:cheers:

nicecar 08-28-2012 07:28 PM

same smell

Same smell since day one Its hot in fl. come to think of it I'll have to see if its prsent in cooler weather...Still somewhat alarming

Skrapmot 08-28-2012 09:54 PM

Stop popping the clutch at lights and it will go away.
:)

san rensho 08-29-2012 06:29 AM

Could also be oil leaking from the cam cover or the spark plug tubes and getting on the exhaust. This happened to me.

jb92563 08-29-2012 06:36 AM

The good gripping tires have to sacrifice rubber to get the good grip so perhaps it just a product of the good traction.

I'll bet it smell like that at the track x10

I did get over enthusiastic with the clutch popping one day and noticed a stronger rubber smell. I think the tires burn rubber without squealing some times.

As a matter of fact I have not heard the tires (Pilot Sports, at the tread wear mark) squeal yet at all, even the once or twice when the back end slid out on some accelerating turns.

rebeltown 09-06-2012 11:03 AM

Burning rubber smell

I noticed the smell a few times after a ride. After a thorough inspection I found nothing but did notice a light coating of oil accumulation near the exhaust and wiped it off. Never had the smell again...

dghii 09-06-2012 11:12 AM

Check your CV joint boots for tears. You may have one flinging some grease onto your exhaust.