986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Back to Mobil 1 (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37080)

Idaho Red Rocket 3 08-26-2012 04:23 PM

Back to Mobil 1

Well I tried using Castrol Edge with Syntech. I have used Castrol in my motorcycles for 40 years. I used the 10-40 in the 2K S for 2 changes. Didn't notice any benefit or detriment so I went back to Mobil 1 10-40 yesterday. Car sounds just fine.

My reason for changing back. Cheap..cheap..cheap. A little birdy told me I can save over $21 bucks on the oil. So I did. I know it is being cheap, but what the heck ?

Skrapmot 08-26-2012 05:27 PM

Consumer Reports thinks they are all the same. I'm thinking there's probably a larger difference between Mobil and Motul or Redline than Castrol.
A lot of people have been ragging on Mobil 1 lately, so I'm switching over to Red Line 5w/40 in my 986 for the next oil change to see if there is any truth behind the coolaid.
if it quiets down the cold start up clatter or revs smoother I'll be happy enough to justify the 9 bucks a quart,otherwise, it's back to Mobil.

Jaak 08-26-2012 06:16 PM

Go read what they say on the LN engineering site..

My engine rebuilder said to use Castrol Syntec which I get cheaper than Mobil1 at several sources in Canada. I tend to listen to those that rebuild. Besides, the cost to rebuild or replace is rather high compared to the cost savings. PO had overfilled the crank with 4 extra litres. I got a deal including the cost of a rebuild ...

But, it's your car and your choice.

paulv 08-27-2012 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skrapmot (Post 303275)
Consumer Reports thinks they are all the same. I'm thinking there's probably a larger difference between Mobil and Motul or Redline than Castrol.
A lot of people have been ragging on Mobil 1 lately, so I'm switching over to Red Line 5w/40 in my 986 for the next oil change to see if there is any truth behind the coolaid.
if it quiets down the cold start up clatter or revs smoother I'll be happy enough to justify the 9 bucks a quart,otherwise, it's back to Mobil.

I've used Mobil 1 5W-40, Motul 8100 5W-40 and both oils resulted in good used oil analysis reports but both had startup noise -- I changed to RedLine 5W-40 and the startup noise is gone (thank you POEs!).

Regards,
paul...

Flavor 987S 08-27-2012 06:18 AM

I do extensive Blackstone UOA's. I used Red Line 5W40 for a few years with excellent results. Then switched to Mobil 5W50 (hard oil to find) for a couple years, again with excellent results, ever so slightly better than Red Line's.

Just today, I ordered Jake's Joe Gibbs DT40 5W40 oil. $153.55 case of 12 ($12.80/quart). Excited to try it. Will run it for about 2 years. Do mu UOA's and then decide if it is "better" than Mobil and Red Line. I am hoping it is. Charles and Jake say it will be. I trust them.

Perfectlap 08-27-2012 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Idaho Red Rocket 3 (Post 303268)
I used the 10-40 in the 2K S for 2 changes. Didn't notice any benefit or detriment so I went back to Mobil 1 10-40 yesterday. Car sounds just fine.

No offense but it sounds like you're mostly going on gut feel and a desire to save a really neglible amount when you consider the vital role that a twice a year expense represents.

I hear you on the price though. I went to Advanced Auto and the Castrol 5-40 was $9 a quart. On my last oil change I paid about $5.50 with a free filter for each 5 quart purchase. A 30+% spike in barely 8 months. This just makes me first ask if RedLine is on Porsche latest approved oils list because no way am I arguing with the engine rebuiliding/autospy experts on Mobil 1's weak points. I'd rather spend a bit more now that its expensive no matter what.

John Bergen 08-27-2012 01:54 PM

Redline

Redline made a big difference in my 2000 S's idling and revving smoothness.

Jake Raby 08-27-2012 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flavor 987S (Post 303334)
I do extensive Blackstone UOA's. I used Red Line 5W40 for a few years with excellent results. Then switched to Mobil 5W50 (hard oil to find) for a couple years, again with excellent results, ever so slightly better than Red Line's.

Just today, I ordered Jake's Joe Gibbs DT40 5W40 oil. $153.55 case of 12 ($12.80/quart). Excited to try it. Will run it for about 2 years. Do mu UOA's and then decide if it is "better" than Mobil and Red Line. I am hoping it is. Charles and Jake say it will be. I trust them.

The UOA won't show it all. The reason for this is because there are no tests done for plastics in the oil.. We developed this oil from carrying out complete engine tear downs and measurements.

Particulate testing is one of the other tests that people generally do not carry out, or even know about but they provide a bigger picture concerning wear. We have not seen impressive differences between ANY oils when using UOA as a baseline, but we have seen dramatic differences in wear of all wear items within the engine, especially chain tensioners, wear paddles and the things that lead to real issues.

We developed the oil only for ourselves and our engine program.. I never planned to, or wanted to sell it retail.

Skrapmot 08-27-2012 05:00 PM

I'll let you know the RedLine verdict next week, as soon as RPW ships it out to me.
I wasn't too worried about the approved oil list, as my experience with Porsche is once its out of warranty, the community often creates better solutions. Also new cars have dramatically needs than my lovingly broken in one.

Flavor 987S 08-28-2012 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake Raby (Post 303433)
The UOA won't show it all. The reason for this is because there are no tests done for plastics in the oil.. We developed this oil from carrying out complete engine tear downs and measurements.

Particulate testing is one of the other tests that people generally do not carry out, or even know about but they provide a bigger picture concerning wear. We have not seen impressive differences between ANY oils when using UOA as a baseline, but we have seen dramatic differences in wear of all wear items within the engine, especially chain tensioners, wear paddles and the things that lead to real issues.

We developed the oil only for ourselves and our engine program.. I never planned to, or wanted to sell it retail.

Thanks for the additional info, Jake. And thanks for the fast shipping on my DT40 oil.

Skrapmot 09-28-2012 12:08 AM

Finally used the Redline 5/40 in the 986 with 80k, and after about 50 miles or so, definitely a difference in start-up clatter (gone) and much smoother revving at over 3000 RPM. Quite a difference so far compared to Mobil 1, and far more than I expected.

Ghostrider 310 09-28-2012 03:12 AM

Tried this in the 944, if you have not tried it, take about 20 out of your wallet, clean your back side with it and discard, same feeling.

Red Line Synthetic Oil - WaterWetter® Coolant Additives

I need more data before I'm willing to believe that Mobil one ruins plastic internals yet is used worldwide in a myriad of engines and is recommended by Porsche itself. As for engine noises, people used to come to our shop and tell me the same thing about marvel mystery oil quieting their engines, I never tried that goop either (except maybe to fog a boat motor). Some improvements are like the medical placebo effect, they just feel better. I always think a car runs smoother and quicker right after an oil change and although that would make sense I'm sure the effect is more mental than real. My education in the shop equated to this: frequency of oil changes and filters keeps engines cleaner. In other words, I'd rather add another Mobil 1 and filter change each year than fork out more for oil and leave it in the pan longer, just my take. I sincerely doubt whatever did my 986 in would have been effected by a different manufacturers snake oil.

Deserion 09-28-2012 04:59 AM

I run Mobil 1 10w40 and Mobil 1 Racing 4T (motorcycle) 10w40 in a 50/50 mix (mentioned by LN Engineering). Not for cheapness (the 4T is $11/quart), but as it's a good mix of heavier weights and the 4T adds a nice amount of ZDDP.

I change it often enough to not worry too much. Last oil change the other week showed no metallic particulates on the filter (inside or out) and no cam deviation per Durametric. I haven't been getting any odd noises out of the engine with M1 (refuse to run 0w40).

Flavor 987S 09-28-2012 06:08 AM

The Joe Gibbs DT 5W40 went in yesterday. Can't wait to see next year's UOA. Haven't driven it much, or did a cold start-up yet, to try and notice any differences. Will try to report back later.

rah rah 986 02-05-2013 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skrapmot (Post 303275)

Hi, I have read several posts now that have stated Redline oil has reduced or eliminated start-up clatter. I would like to try it. I am wondering where you buy it for $9 per quart.
So far, $11 seems about the lowest I've seen. Thanks