986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Vegas Baby! (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3702)

Jeph 09-15-2005 06:35 PM

Vegas Baby!

I'm going to Vegas in a couple of weeks and I will be needing a rental car. I have narrowed it down to 3 choices. Please vote and justify your answers.

F355 - Cool but slightly older, plus I've done that one once before (and a bit pricey)
SRT/10 - I'm leaning towards this
996 - The obvious choice on a Porsche board

RandallNeighbour 09-15-2005 06:58 PM

Embrace the raw "go forward" power of the SRT/10! Only downside is when you get home, you better find some twisties quickly to recapture the genius of the Boxster.

Rail26 09-15-2005 07:55 PM

Can't go wrong with Italian.

Richard Truss 09-15-2005 10:16 PM

I live in vegas -- the vipers out here are looked at as somewhat ghetto. even though they are not, i dont think they are in the same catagory as the others. But the one that stands out and turns heads on the strip is the Ferrari. You cannot go wrong with Italian.

Besides, Ferrari's have a great new home in the Wynn Las Vegas -- which is the most popular place on the strip right now. A 355 is old, but still outshines the 996 and certainly ANY offering from dodge. :cheers:

nautiquelfe 09-16-2005 12:33 AM

I'll take the 355. I've already got a porsche in the garage. And the vipers have lost all eye appeal lately. I'm not sure where there going w/ the design but for me its not working. Besides how many chances do you get to drive a ferrari.

Porschekid 09-16-2005 05:46 AM

If you want to feel power get the Viper. If you want the exotic/once in a lifetime feeling get the Ferrari. If you want to save money or fit more than 2 people (uncomfortably), get the Porsche. I would recommend the Porsche to most people but not a Boxster owner... it won't be anything special to you. I would personally get the Ferrari.

Perfectlap 09-16-2005 05:58 AM

996 Cab is for Britney Federline. Just kidding, but I really think coupes that have been chopped are not kosher. Ditto for the M3 Cab.
Which came first the 355 spyder or the Berlinetta?

Ferraris are the ultimate head turners. Its physically impossible to not watch it drive past if you are female.

Vipers maybe on the track (they did well at LeMans a few years back), but
not in Vegas.

limoncello 09-16-2005 06:05 AM

Ferrari. Looks great in red.

Porschev 09-16-2005 07:37 AM

chick magnetism levels (in Chicks per hour)

Horse from Scuderia Ferrari: 5-6
Horse from Chrysler Farm: 1-2
Horse from Porsche Stuttgart Cheese Farm: 3-4

All data is scientifically proven. Statistics were included standard T-test, standard deviation can occur especially with Ferrari, in case if driver is handsome and wearing proper things, with heart open and smiling.

Alexander Porshev
Scientific Chief of Las Vegas Chick Behavior Institution

cfos 09-16-2005 09:35 AM

T-tests (Student's; I don't believe there is a "standard" t-test.) are not valid when comparing more than two groups. You'd have to do an analysis of variance (ANOVA) followed by a relavent post hoc test, assuming you get a main effect of vehicle. I prefer the Scheffe' as it is very stringent.

Of course, the point is moot, get the ferrari and you'd get looks from chicks (assuming they know something about cars or have functiong ears) and from guys (wish it were me in that car).

fefyfo 09-16-2005 09:42 AM

A Ferrari and a pretty female with long legs is ideal for the strip. If you live in the midwest, America's own bread and butter is the way to go. Back Country cruising to explore the boutiques that Nantucket has to offer would be most appreciative in a Porsche 996. :) Hope that helps.

SD987 09-16-2005 10:12 AM

Just to throw out an alternative that's not on your list, I saw that you can rent a Mercedes AMG SL55. If you haven't driven one, this is a whiplash inducing vehicle which I think you'd actually find easier to drive fast in a straight line than a Viper or Ferrari, particularly without an extended period to get used to the nuances of the car. I'll certainly concede that the Viper draws more attention in some circles, but after driving one for a while, some of the annoyances of the car will wear on you. You've done the Ferrari, so I think you'd get less bang for your buck on the second go-round. The AMG SL55 is faster than the Porsche cab, looks better (sorry folks) and IMHO conveys more of an impression that "you've arrived" than a Viper or 996.

Richard Truss 09-16-2005 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD987
The AMG SL55 is faster than the Porsche cab, looks better (sorry folks) and IMHO conveys more of an impression that "you've arrived" than a Viper or 996.

Be that as it may, on the chick meter AMG anything scores a big, fat zero. No girl that you actually WANT to impress could ever tell the difference between a SL 500 or a SL55. besides, i have driven a 355 and would jump back in one in a heartbeat. :)

Ferrari -- there really is no substitute. really.

lexuspilot 09-16-2005 06:47 PM

Well if you want to impress chicks, then buy the car. Who wants a chick impressed with a rental.

BTW I posted a week ago about driving the wonderful 355 spyder. That car was sold today to someone in California. It is his second Ferrari and will be a daily driver and he is very young. In trying to make the deal he complained that Southwest airlines was too expensive for him to make the trip to see it.

Rent the F355! I just remembered the chicks in Vegas are rentals too. They may not care.;)

Pilot2519j 09-16-2005 07:14 PM

Ferrari is not a car, its a religion

Imagine those 12 cylinders whining their music to you!

Richard Truss 09-16-2005 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pilot2519j
Imagine those 12 cylinders whining their music to you!

correct me if im wrong, but i think the 355 is an 8 cylander. who cares though -- still the most beautiful music one can hear. :cheers: