Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2012, 07:49 PM   #1

Erratic Gas Guage

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be going on?

I filled up my gas tank earlier in the week. The gauge dropped quickly for the first 1/4 of a tank. I dropped more slowly until the low gas light came on. Less than 5 miles later, the gauge dropped to below empty. The total miles driven were much less than a fuel tank.

The gauge has acted up in the past. Sometimes, it wouldn't show full. The rate of decline doesn't seem as linear now as it was the past.

This behavior has happened before and after I replaced the fuel tank last year. Today's drop from the fuel light coming on to showing completely empty. I don't think it is.

Thanks for any thoughts

thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:06 AM   #2

Garage
My first guess would be a bad fuel level sending unit, OR the float on the fuel level sending unit is getting hung up on the fuel lines inside the tank. it would take about three hours, beginning with getting all of the fuel out of the tank and removing the fuel level sending unit, inspecting and replacing everything. Keep in mind, a new rubber gasket is recommended whenever you put the fuel sending unit back in place. If you dont put a new rubber gasket, they say that you might smell fuel inside the cockpit. The gasket is $14.00 at pelican parts.
986Porsche986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:05 PM   #3

Thanks

The local dealer suggests that every once and awhile the calibration goes off after filling the tank completely. It suggested monitoring the guage through a few refills to see it the problem occurs again. Because that's the least cost route, I give it a try and see. I had something like this happen two years ago and it seemed to fix itself.

thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote