Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2005, 01:39 PM   #1

Car Cover Dry-Cleaned??

I did get a genuine Porsche car cover with my "new" used 2002 S. I am a little concerned about the existing dirt in the car cover itself producing scratches in my soon to be detailed black paint. Thought about having it dry-cleaned as I think a new one will set me back about 2 or 3 hundred. Anyone ever done this??

Mr. Boone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 03:18 PM   #2

You may want to invest in a flannel lined car cover that is washable. What would it cost to clean the cover 50 bucks? The cover is for indoor use only though, or light outdoor use.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 10:15 PM   #3

Why not just put in in the washing machine?

Mine is pretty dirty and I was thinking i would just put it in a new washing machine (one of those front loading ones without an agitator), and then hang drying it after.

I can't imagine that dry cleaningwould damage it, but that's just my opinion, it's not something I've done myself.

If you do dry clean it, let us know how it works out.

thx,
Larez2
larez2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 07:40 AM   #4

I've washed mine in my home washing machine... gentle cycle with woolite... no problems... I would highly recommend line drying it... drying it in a residential clothes dryer would be a mistake... Don't ask me how I know...
gschiener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 10:24 AM   #5

I guess washing it in the washing machine would probably work out OK. For some reason I thought one was not supposed to machine wash these covers. I'm going to also ask Mrs. Boone about this as well..... We will certainly keep it out of the dryer. The cover is not really that dirty but since the car is black and I am getting ready to invest a little money and a lot of time and sweat into detailing it myself, I don't want the spider webs to come back. I think embedded dirt in the cover could be a likely source for these. I'm one of those nuts who keeps the car covered even in the garage and anytime it will be parked for 2 hours or more, so the cover comes on and off several times everyday. I did this with my 1987 Guards Red Carera (sadly no longer with us) and I rarely even had to wash the car. Only to detail or wax it or if you got nailed by a bird of took it for along trip.

Thanks all for the advice. I think the Woolite and line dry is the way to go.
Old 09-11-2005, 05:09 PM   #6

I think it is a bad idea to cover a car that has been driven more than a few miles. There will be very fine dust and contamination on the car that could scratch the paint from taking the cover off and on constantly. Plus, it soils your cover much faster. I only cover my car if it has been freshly washed.
Old 09-12-2005, 05:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
I think it is a bad idea to cover a car that has been driven more than a few miles. There will be very fine dust and contamination on the car that could scratch the paint from taking the cover off and on constantly. Plus, it soils your cover much faster. I only cover my car if it has been freshly washed.
Your Right! I think I got away with it on the Guards Red 87 Carerra because it was red and because I only drove it on weekends and Fridays. My "new" box
is black and is really quite unforgiving in the way of keeping it clean and scratch free. All you have to do is drive it over 20 miles or so and you can see the dirt on it. Maybe there is a dry car wash that can be applied daily, that won’t scratch and I can still keep it covered?? I like keeping the cover on it to keep it out of the sun, as I am not afforded covered parking at the office. Any thoughts?
Old 09-12-2005, 07:54 PM   #8

I drive my car to work on occasion(about once a week) also but I don't cover it. I am very paticulcar about my car but covering it at work is alittle to much for me. Polishes such as the Zaino I use have anti- UV agents in them and should greatly reduce fading. Same with Armoral for the dash, raggtopp for the canvas, and leather conditioner for the seats. I also have a tonneau cover that covers the interior only when the top is down, but I have not used that yet. It's more manageable than a car cover and you won't worry about scratching your paint. If you are really concerned about UV rays I would use this and a good UV resistent polish for good all around protection. UV rays are not great for your paint, but neither are swirl marks because of constant car cover use. I would think twice about using that cover so much.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:29 PM   #9

Used the Woolite. Worked great. I am going to back off on using the cover. Thanks to all.