Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2012, 05:12 AM   #1

Replacement Stereo for '01 Boxster S

I recently Purchased a 2001 Boxster S and the CDR220 is not going to cut it. Can anyone recommend a good replacement? Here are my criteria:
  • Good sound quality
  • IPOD Compatible
  • Bluetooth Calling
  • Must fit in the existing Slot
  • Would like something that looks OEM without all of the flashing lights and display that most of the replacement units have. It seems like most of the units are aimed at the 19 year old fast and furious crowd. Don't they make these things for adults?
  • Don't care if it has a CD player, but ok if it does
  • would like xm capability, but not required.
any suggestions are appreciated.

dbarnes976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:19 AM   #2
Homeboy981

Garage
I am very happy with my JVC but it is a 2-DIN unit (takes up more dash space). However, it was worth the effort. In addition to the items you mentioned it has NAV (with updated traffic reporting and assignable POI-Points of Interest - like gas stations, restaurants, etc.). XM does not require purchasing another "add-on" unit. Touch screen is great! Watching DVDs is pretty cool for the passenger too. The backup camera is the sizzle! I can see people and stuff behind me now! The best part is it has an SD card slot - doesn't seem like big deal but I can put songs-enough for 5 days, DVDs, pics, etc. REALLY COOL! The cost on ebay was less than $400 - which was cheaper than a Pioneer unit AND I have had NO PROBLEMS!!!
Old 08-08-2012, 05:48 AM   #3

Garage
what is the model of your JVC?
986Porsche986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:03 AM   #4
Homeboy981

Garage
Sorry. I always forget the name of it:

JVC KW-NT3HDT
In-Dash 6.1" Double DIN Touchscreen DVD, CD, MP3, WMA, WAV Receiver with Built-in Bluetooth, Navigation, Front Panel Aux and USB Port

Doesn't mention much about the features I use the most….but at least you Google it now!

Good Luck!
Old 08-08-2012, 08:05 AM   #5

Garage
Thanks! I am ready to upgrade deck sometime soon.
986Porsche986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeboy981 View Post
I am very happy with my JVC but it is a 2-DIN unit (takes up more dash space). However, it was worth the effort. In addition to the items you mentioned it has NAV (with updated traffic reporting and assignable POI-Points of Interest - like gas stations, restaurants, etc.). XM does not require purchasing another "add-on" unit. Touch screen is great! Watching DVDs is pretty cool for the passenger too. The backup camera is the sizzle! I can see people and stuff behind me now! The best part is it has an SD card slot - doesn't seem like big deal but I can put songs-enough for 5 days, DVDs, pics, etc. REALLY COOL! The cost on ebay was less than $400 - which was cheaper than a Pioneer unit AND I have had NO PROBLEMS!!!
Can you Post a Pic, I am just trying to understand how you can fit a double Din in a single Dn slot
Old 08-08-2012, 10:21 AM   #7

Garage
Ummm, you can't. That's why he used the word "but". If you want to keep the stock look, do what I did and add an iPhone cable that connects to the back of the CDR-220. It also charges. Then use any Bluetooth mic or headset. I thought of upgrading but wanted to keep the stock look and this was the best solution for me.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
Ummm, you can't. That's why he used the word "but". If you want to keep the stock look, do what I did and add an iPhone cable that connects to the back of the CDR-220. It also charges. Then use any Bluetooth mic or headset. I thought of upgrading but wanted to keep the stock look and this was the best solution for me.
probably the route I will go, where did you get the cable?
Old 08-08-2012, 11:10 AM   #9

Garage
I purchased the iP-BKR2 from discount stereo. I routed it through the lower cubby which I got from Pelican which replaced my CD holder.

You can see the cable laying inside. I cut the hole by drilling two holes and then connecting them with a Dremel. Didn't take long at all. Get the radio removal tools from Pelican or Discount. I think Discount includes them with the cable if you ask.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
Old 08-08-2012, 11:12 AM   #10

I replaced my deck with the Alpine CDE-HD138BT. I've been really happy with the new radio. It has Bluetooth, Pandora Bluetooth streaming from android cell phone, HD Radio, XM capable etc. Its a single DIN so pull the old CDR-220 out and replace it.
yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:11 PM   #11

I am getting closer

OK so I think I decided to do a single Din Kenwood KDC-X796, I can live with the disco lighting on this one as it can be set to amber, the one question i have is is there an adaptor to the OEM Plug so I can easily swap the OEM unit back in if i sell it?
Old 08-17-2012, 06:33 PM   #12
2001 Arctic Silver 2.7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarnes976 View Post
OK so I think I decided to do a single Din Kenwood KDC-X796, I can live with the disco lighting on this one as it can be set to amber, the one question i have is is there an adaptor to the OEM Plug so I can easily swap the OEM unit back in if i sell it?
Try contacting Euro Motorspeed.
The provide cable connectors with their 2 DIN kit.
Maybe they will sell you just the cable connectors..
Doesn't hurt to call..

Customer service info (email and phone)
Customer Support: support@euromotorspeed.com
Sales Inquiry: sales@euromotorspeed.com
Florida Sales: 727.455.6580
Domestic Toll Free: 877.408.EURO (3876)
Old 08-18-2012, 07:55 AM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarnes976 View Post
Check Crutchfield.com. I believe they include a harness to connect to the OEM harness.

iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights