Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2012, 12:35 PM   #1

my car hates my seating position

My 2002 Boxster S learned a new trick recently. Basically, I turn right, and the seat bottom tilts. Seems a tad odd, but its intermittent. Just want to know if anyone has experienced this before I tear into it. Thanks!

Mighty Shilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:41 AM   #2
Homeboy981

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Shilling View Post
My 2002 Boxster S learned a new trick recently. Basically, I turn right, and the seat bottom tilts. Seems a tad odd, but its intermittent. Just want to know if anyone has experienced this before I tear into it. Thanks!
You may try to check the "flipper" handle in the seat adjustment area on the lower cushion, on the side by the door, near the front. It is the FIRST ONE and the handle is at a different angle than the others (it has a horizontal orientation). You know the handle, in manual mode, you lift up on it WHILE applying pressure with your butt to the seat in the direction/height you want it to go. Something maybe be stuck inside….of the seat! You might try some lubrication, if not it may be a problem with the brackets underneath that support this function.

Couldn't resist but hope it helps.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:07 AM   #3

Homeboy, are you describing manual or power seats? I suppose I should have mentioned my boxster has power memory seats. which is handy, because when it tilts the seat, I can just hit position 1 and it'll put itself back.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:17 AM   #4
Homeboy981

Garage
Yep, I'm stuck with manual/partial power seats….THAT is about THE ONLY thing I have to complain about in this car….the rest is gravy so far! I love that this car can "smooth" out the bumps in the road via the ACCELERATOR! Like butter!

Anyway, about the seats….just a guess - and there are people on here that know WAY MORE THAN ME but it sounds like something in the seat frame, that all those power memory seats are connected to. A Beemer of mine had a similar problem which was fixed with a simple rivet. So here's to hope for an EZ fix.

DISCLAIMER: I have never actually "been under" my seats in the Pcar.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:47 AM   #5

learned something. turns out on the bottom cushion left bolster, if you apply pressure to a certain part, it'll do the lean thing. I bet I have a chaffed wire or something in that area.