986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   He had a low opinion of Boxsters (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36597)

pierre shags 08-01-2012 08:55 AM

He had a low opinion of Boxsters

The guy who was installing my new lawn said he wanted to get a used 911, not a Boxster. So I gave him a ride at the end of the job. A quick blip in second with the PSM off threw his head back and his mouth fell open. "Oh, I don't need more than that." Then I downshifted to first around a 135 degree corner and blasted away - big smile.

Then I let him drive. He was very cautious, as usual with guest drivers, but he found it sensitive and fast. Wanted to know what a used one like mine costs. About $30k.

My 24-year-old nephew, bless him, is the only one who has ever put it to the test practicing hard stops, fast launches, and some speed through the corners. I am now the favorite uncle.

MN 986 08-01-2012 07:04 PM

It is amazing what people think they know about Boxsters if they have never driven one. It may be the 'entry-level' Porsche based on the price, but that does not make it equal to a Chevy Aveo :)

Ghostrider 310 08-01-2012 10:28 PM

Maybe one of the great things about aging is caring less about what other people think and say. There are people out there ignoring the TC Kline results with racing the Boxster. Some will always view it as the "compromise" Porsche. That's fine with me, they continue to say the same about the 944. When I tried to point out to some Reddit, self appointed, car gurus that a properly maintained and set up 944 would give their modern sedan fits in any tight corner they would not hear of it....Mkay, stay ignorant internet.... Fact is I could have bought a 911 easily, I truly believe the Spyder is the better car, period. Driving it has only fortified that belief, to each their own, the new 911 cab is far better looking than the old one so I see the appeal. However for what it costs equally equipped I can't see the logic.

To Pierre, everyone wants to drive our cars, till they break, then it's back to being "your Porsche"

Perfectlap 08-02-2012 09:09 AM

911 is a status symbol for many people born in the 50's - 70's.
Range Rover and Cayenne seem to be that for folks born in the 80's and 90's.

A second hand 911 is still a great value and depending on the year can hold value extremely well. If it doesn't hold value its probably very reliable and doesn't leak(:p). Either way you can't lose.

However if you want the no top experience, and you want a Porsche this is the car to have. Cutting the roof off of a Carrera is just a really odd way to go imo. The backseat is useless for most non-dwarfs, it ruins the iconic profile of the Carrera, it will never handle as well and puts the car in the luxury convertible category. Which is fine if that's what you're into along with all the other retired dentists.

p.s.
I always wondered why they bothered to make the Boxster a different car. From the front to the doors it was the same part numbers from the 99-01 Carrera. They could have simply called it the Carrera Roadster with the 3.6 Carrera engine and made 3.8 standard on all the regular Carreras so that it would still be quicker. The Carrera S could have gotten the GT1 engine from the Turbo and GT3.

Coffinhunter 08-02-2012 10:32 AM

My Brother in Law had the same opinion. He figured he should spend a little more to get the 911. After a quick test drive he changed his mind.

I grew up with a 1974 911 targa, and will always have a soft spot for them, but the handling of the Boxster is second to none.

thstone 08-02-2012 11:32 AM

I was just as guilty. When I decided to buy a Porsche, I was looking for a 996. In my mind, I didn't want an "entry level" Porsche. I am old enough to have driven several of the previous entry-level Porsche and thought that the 924 was a POS. No way that I wanted anything to do with a repeat of that. I wanted the "real thing", a modern 911.

After driving several 996's, someone suggested that I drive a Boxster and once I did, I was hooked and the rest is history. The Boxster wasn't a repeat of the 924 or even the much better 944. Instead, the Boxster is a 911 with the engine in the the right place! I know now that the Boxster/Cayman is THE perfect platform and given more power, the Boxster/Cayman would wipe the Nurburgring with the 911.

But I still plan to own a 911 model someday. And a Ferrari too. A guy's gotta have goals.

Perfectlap 08-02-2012 03:37 PM

I'd like an old 911 (not 993 though, those are too mushy for me) but the potential costs of repairing a "hand-built" Porsche make me cautious. I certainly wouldn't autocross or track it when a perfectly good Miata or Corvette can do the job at lower cost to operate. It would be more of a vintage/enthusiast thing.

These newest Carreras I have no interest in. Too big, DIY maintenance sounds problematic and electronic steering is as appetizing to me as a kick in the balls.
I guess a 997 GT3 sounds like the only option I would consider because those are going to be a killer bargain.

jb92563 08-02-2012 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfectlap (Post 300081)
I'd like an old 911 (not 993 though, those are too mushy for me) but the potential costs of repairing a "hand-built" Porsche make me cautious. I certainly wouldn't autocross or track it when a perfectly good Miata or Corvette can do the job at lower cost to operate. It would be more of a vintage/enthusiast thing.

These newest Carreras I have no interest in. Too big, DIY maintenance sounds problematic and electronic steering is as appetizing to me as a kick in the balls.
I guess a 997 GT3 sounds like the only option I would consider because those are going to be a killer bargain.

Thats funny, looking at your Boxsters GT3 parts inventory in your signature its not surprising that you are on your way to a GT3.

Might as well go the full 10 yards right?!! :D

Those seats are cool looking...now I'm starting to think...:p

986Porsche986 08-02-2012 07:47 PM

I love my boxster s, but I really think Porsche held back on the performance of the car by putting the exhaust system that they did on it. :(