Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2012, 04:22 AM   #1

Cold Boxster = Rattle Free?

Am I the only person that notices this? My 02 S has way fewer shakes/rattles when it's cold outside, especially before the car really warms up.

I've suspected that I need to replace the rear trailing arms for a while to resolve some rattles there. However, on a cold day (and sometimes just when the car isn't warmed up on a warmer day) things are all quiet from the rear.

The car has a number of other rattles and whatnot that I've never really identified or theorized on that seem to be missing or muted on a cold day as well.

Am I alone?

jakekit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 04:37 AM   #2

Garage
My 03S definitely rattles less now that it's very cold in Chicago. Particularly the roof, in my case -- always seems to rattle a bit over bumps when it's warmer, but now, it never makes a peep.
2003S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:33 AM   #3

Garage
I guess the cold is enough to increase spaces where there would be metal on metal during warmer climates or when that particular area of the vehicle gets warmer.

I've noticed an annoying rattle, cold or warm, on the plastic liner that has the visors mounted on to. I plan on placing a cloth over the wires to delete the noise; tape will just get undone over time.

I also notice definite rear noises over bumps, so I'll have to get my mechanic to see what needs replacing on the suspension.
grtc68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:02 AM   #4
Ex Esso kid

Do you guys have enough snow to get buildup in the wheel wells? I wonder of some of the plastic panels that can loosen over time are bound with ice, maybe that reduces rattles as much as metal tolerances effected by temperature. As for the noises, IMO, the shocks work differently in cold weather, when it's ten below in NY, even small pot holes feel like teeth rattlers.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:30 AM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 View Post
Do you guys have enough snow to get buildup in the wheel wells? I wonder of some of the plastic panels that can loosen over time are bound with ice, maybe that reduces rattles as much as metal tolerances effected by temperature. As for the noises, IMO, the shocks work differently in cold weather, when it's ten below in NY, even small pot holes feel like teeth rattlers.
I haven't seen enough to get build up in the wheel wells, just a few inches over the weekend, which then melted on Monday. My de-rattling seems to just be things tightening up in the cold. It also really stopped my leaking by the driver's window, so that's nice.
2003S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:23 PM   #6

No difference for me. Mine's quiet between 30 and 100 degrees , or 20 mph or 100mph!!
Old 05-30-2012, 07:21 AM   #7

My rattle is deffinately the heat prooffing inside rear bumper, does anyone suggest how to secure it better. If I bang bumper with my hand it really chatters. Also found heat shields on cat pipes loose, crush with u bolt to cure.
newsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:44 PM   #8

I'm new to my Boxster and have heard all kinds of noises I want to identify. Part of the situation is because its quiet in the first place.

My passenger discovered a lot of plastic sounding rattles where coming from the black plastic grid thing in the roll bar behind my head. It was loose and it was making such loud noises I could not even determine where the sound was coming from since it was reaching both my ears from behind my head.

Another annoying squeaky noise was coming from the passenger seat head rest where the leather was touching the roll bar and making a lot of noise. I moved the seat forward a bit to stop it.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 04:15 PM   #9

Absolutely.

When it's above 83ish, the metal behind the dash starts to crack quite loudly when I go over bumps.
Highlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:36 AM   #10

behind the wall?

Is that sort of a knocking on the wall behind seats? It's heard after 10 or 15 minutes of warming up, specially while going rather slow on no-so-flat roads, more intense when lifting accel. pedal, so to say... Could be trailing arms, as Jakekit stated.

josefer is offline   Reply With Quote