986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Mixing coolant colors? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36368)

asexton 07-16-2012 08:42 AM

Mixing coolant colors?

The car has orange coolant in it now and I bought some Porsche coolant online that is pink. Is it safe to mix the two?

JFP in PA 07-16-2012 09:12 AM

Yes........

asexton 07-16-2012 09:19 AM

Thanks JFP!

mountainman 07-16-2012 09:45 AM

Is it necessary to use porsche-VW-audi antifreeze or are the american brands also ok to mix in? I am sure the porsche dealer would say only porsche, but he of course has a vested interest

JFP in PA 07-16-2012 10:10 AM

Do not mix any other brand with the OEM Porsche stuff, it can cause gellation issues and one Hell of mess to clean out of the system...............

tonycarreon 07-16-2012 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainman (Post 297751)
Is it necessary to use porsche-VW-audi antifreeze or are the american brands also ok to mix in? I am sure the porsche dealer would say only porsche, but he of course has a vested interest

lots of answers to this. pedro sums it up thusly:
Quote:

Originally Posted by pedrosgarage.com
I chose not to go with the Porsche coolant.
If you do the same, be sure to get phosphate, silicate and nitrite free product such as Prestone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike focke's boxster page
Porsche claims their coolant is Lifetime, but don't believe it. It is simply a silicate and phosphate free Glycol based coolant. This should be changed every 5 years/150k mi. (whichever comes 1st) in order to provide maximum corrosion protection. It is the organic carboxylates which breakdown after this interval.

Instead of buying the super-expensive Porsche Coolant from the dealer, Zerex Extreme Life 5/150, Texaco Extended Life, Shell Rotella® ELC Extended Life Coolant, UNI-GARD 5/150, Mercury Extended Life Coolant Anti-Freeze, all meet or exceed Porsche Coolant requirements and are much cheaper. Use of any other type coolant is not compatible with the system and can form a gel-like substance if mixed with the proper coolant which can then obstruct flow, create hotspots, blow up your engine, etc.

in general the two sides are: as long as it's phosphate and silicate-free coolant it will be fine. the other side tends to argue "for the few extra $$, why risk it?"

either way you go, i would not mix. if you do go with non-porsche, flush first. if you're just low, add some distilled water.

Mark_T 07-17-2012 10:58 AM

Probably your coolant is orange because the last guy added pink to the original green.

asexton 07-17-2012 06:22 PM

That makes sense! I got about 3 gallons of the orange out and added the pink. I've actually noticed on the gauge that the temp is a bit cooler with the 160 degree thermostat. That's an inexpensive and easy upgrade. Thanks!