Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2005, 07:02 PM   #1

Bose Rear Speaker

If I have the Bose upgrade should the car have been fitted with rear speakers and sub woofer??

Has anyone heard a car with this option?? My car has the Bose upgrade and whats there does sound pretty good, but it does not have the rear speakers and sub woofer that I have seen on ebay. Do I need it??

Mr. Boone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 07:10 PM   #2

yes have the rear speakers and sub woofer
willche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 08:48 PM   #3

If you don't have the rear subwoofer and speakers then you don't have Bose sound.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 05:30 AM   #4

The Bose rear enclosure IS NOT the rear speaker kits you see on ebay. It's a complete system with amp and has a horn in the middle (between the seats) and the word BOSE just below the horn.

There were 2 Bose systems, one called Bose High End and the other called Bose Digital. Both Bose systems included the wind stop but the Bose Digital system removed the rear storage shelf and replaced it with the speaker enclosure. The Digital system was $235 more (in '03).

What's strange is I have the Digital system but the ID tag in the front bonnet shows option code 680 which is the code for the High end system. It seems they didn't code the Digital system on that label.
mjw930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 10:58 AM   #5

Mr.Boone, if your car is coded to have the Bose rear subwoofer and speakers yet they're not back there, it's been removed. Look for plugs where it might have plugged in to make sure.

These rear speaker cabinets (BOSE) and the rear storage shelf with the speakers inside the cubbies have to be removable to access the top of the engine for repairs and maintenance. I believe this is why you see them for sale on Ebay...people remove everything that's not bolted down in older boxsters to sell separately. Grrr.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 05:09 PM   #6

I'll post the option codes my car is fitted with a little later and would appreciate any help deciphering them. I would not be surprised if the rear speaker \ subwoofer assembly was removed at sometime on my car. The seller was fond of removing things form the car, some of which like the Porsche center caps and roll bar inserts even after I agreed to buy it but that’s another story. (Buyers be sure to take plenty of digital pics of your car when shopping for it, and make sure everything shows up when you take delivery) The rear speakers were not there when I originally looked at the car, but it was advertised as having the Bose upgrade. I think it was part of the sport touring package. I'll gather more data and re post a little later. In any event the sound it is making is pretty good for a car stereo, but I have never heard a stock one for reference. Would probably sound allot better if it had the rear speakers and sub......

Thanks again for the input.
Old 09-08-2005, 05:52 PM   #7

M Codes on my 02 Boxster S are CO2??, XLF - Sport Exhaust System, O30 - Sport Chassis with more rigidly tuned springs & shocks, 139??, 340??, 446 - wheel caps with colores Porsche crests (these were removed as the former owner fitted the car with Techart Formula wheels), 454 Cruise Control, 490 High Fi Sound system, 502??, 551 Porsche windstop, 584?? and 696 - AM/FM Radio with CD Player.

I derived these descriptions from these sites http://www.986faq.com/4-0/default.asp

http://www.industryfigure.com/berkeley/Porsche/Options/SOptions02General_10Aug01.htm

I have no idea if they are accurate or not

Any help deciphering the unknowns or with corrections would be greatly appreciated.

Should M490 "High Fi Sound System include the Bose rear speaker and subwoofer enclosure?

Thanks again to all
Old 06-28-2007, 07:03 PM   #8

How much is the bose rear sub box with the horn in the middle? Where can I find one of those? I cand find any on ebay... Thanks!
juan986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 08:50 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
Mr. Boone if memory serves me correctly the M490 is just the HI FI package. It is not Bose. What year is your car? I believe Porsche started putting Bose systems in the Boxster in late 2002. Up to that point the best system you could get was teh Hi Fi. Some included a 4 speaker system and others were 6 speakers. The easiest way to tell is if the OEM harness is stil in the back. The harness is on the passenger side right behind the rollbar next to the clam shell.

Do you have a storage box back there? If so are there little cubbies directly behind the seats or are they grills. If they are grills then that means you have speakers back there.

Check it out and let us know.

What year is your car?

-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter