Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2013, 01:28 PM   #1

Garage
Drops of water dripping on my ankles today

Today I went for a 2-3 hour drive. It was about 85 degrees, and I had the top down with the AC running. I don't usually do this, but it was a very humid day.
Several times I felt a few drops of water hit my legs, around the ankle and shin area. Seemed to be worse when I turned a sharp curve, or turned into a driveway.
I noticed that when I was in traffic, the temp gage had risen by 5-10 degrees above the normal operating point.
After noticing this, I stopped and put the top up and never experienced this again.
Where would this dripping water come from, and why?
I would imagine it's condensation, but why would it drip on my legs?

BTW, this car sits in my garage, and is rarely driven when it rains. In fact, it hasn't seen rain for 2-3 weeks, so I know it can't be coming from the drains.

Anyone experienced this?

Old 06-30-2013, 03:16 PM   #2

This is a guess.

Perhaps the drain tube for your AC is clogged or partially clogged. If so, the condensation will collect in the heating / AC box bottom and spill over when turning a corner. It may have gotten better with the top up and windows closed because there is less humidity in the cockpit.

When you turn into a parking spot do you notice water drips along the path you took? If not, the drain hose is likely the source of the problem.
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 03:28 PM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thom4782 View Post
This is a guess.

Perhaps the drain tube for your AC is clogged or partially clogged. If so, the condensation will collect in the heating / AC box bottom and spill over when turning a corner. It may have gotten better with the top up and windows closed because there is less humidity in the cockpit.

When you turn into a parking spot do you notice water drips along the path you took? If not, the drain hose is likely the source of the problem.
Thanks for the guess thom.
I will definitely check to see if the drain hose is clogged.
I can't really say if I have ever seen the drips.
I do know that when I get home and park in the garage, the water drains out and runs toward my garage door.
I need to see if I can locate that hose, and try to clear it, if necessary.
Old 06-30-2013, 03:36 PM   #4

Wouldn't this be bad for the AC also? for you are putting extra stress to the AC system for continuously running the compressor because it cannot attain the temp inputed in the climate control when the top is up.

Could this be enough to freeze the system thus the water drips?
Pedrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 03:44 PM   #5

Garage
Clogged A/C drain

I agree, it sounds like a clogged A/C drain. I had a very similar problem in an old Dodge Dakota pick-up truck. The truck had ice cold A/C but the drain was clogged and condensation would collect in the ducting behind the dash. When I went around a corner cold water would pour out on my legs (or the legs of my passenger). I live in Florida, so the humidity is high. If you were running your system constantly in high humidity it could be that the drain is partially clogged and just couldn't keep up.
Atomicblue99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 03:56 PM   #6

IIRC correctly, the drain hose runs down the front passenger foot well wall and then along the floor next to the center console and out through the floor. To get to it on my car, I removed the foam cover under the dash on the passenger side. Then I pulled back the carpeting along the front of the wheel well and along the side near the center console. Check the exit holes from the air handling box, the tube itself and the exit hole.
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:12 PM   #7
Forum Contributor

Changed the car operating temp? Make sure it's not a leaky heater core.

ghostrider300 is offline   Reply With Quote