Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2010, 07:35 AM   #1

205/50/17 and 215/45/17 .....

I have 17 in stock wheels with current 205/50/17 on stock 03 Boxster and thinking replacing the tires with 215/45/17. What do you guys think? Rubbing, bigger gap, or they simply won't fit?

Wheels like like these: http://www.pictures-of-cars.com/reviews/porsche-boxster.htm

AlexH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 01:06 PM   #2

Garage
alex,

i lived in LA for a while and had 45 profiles on my car there. i did relocate back to the UK some 4 years ago, however, the quality of the roads sucked big time and had a pothole flatten two wheels in one go (both front and rear offside) on los feliz..

and then this from debris on the 110...

as you can just see the damage was bad enough to flex the alloy enough to flake the paint.

if the roads still suck, then keep the thicker profile as a word of consideration.. replacing porsche wheels and low profiles could get to be an expensive and annoying hobby when the roads are cr@p !
2x Range Rover Classic & CSK

Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 10-02-2010 at 01:12 PM.
Bruce Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 01:18 PM   #3
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne
alex,

i lived in LA for a while and had 45 profiles on my car there. i did relocate back to the UK some 4 years ago, however, the quality of the roads sucked big time and had a pothole flatten two wheels in one go (both front and rear offside) on los feliz..

and then this from debris on the 110...

as you can just see the damage was bad enough to flex the alloy enough to flake the paint.

if the roads still suck, then keep the thicker profile as a word of consideration.. replacing porsche wheels and low profiles could get to be an expensive and annoying hobby when the roads are cr@p !
In Alex's case, he's only looking at going with a 1.5% shorter sidewall.

Last edited by blue2000s; 10-02-2010 at 01:23 PM.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 01:46 PM   #4

Garage
sure blue, i hear you, the tyres on that wheel there were 45's, the difference between a 50 and a 45 on surface damaged roads could be the difference between a new rim and a new tyre or just a new tyre.

just putting some food for thought.

also the roads could be considerably better now, or if he's up in somewhere like valencia where roads are newer it may not even be worthy of consideration.

NB. with porsche split rims i take potholes carefully, i dont fancy having to cough up for new rims and P-Zero Rosso's every few months.

The PITA here in the UK at the moment is stonechip damage.. the front of the porsche needs attending to from chip rash, but wont bother until the roads get better and have done three windshields (different cars one was the boxster - 5 inch crack due to stone on m-way) this year alone.
Old 10-02-2010, 05:11 PM   #5

I hear you Bruce. I know the roads there in Los Felix as well as some parts of Wilshire going away from downtown. I drive somewhat gently going througjh downtown. Anyway, I want a little bit more tread in the front but just don't want the tires to look too tall. Since the diameter going from 205/50/17 to 215/45/17 will decrease, will I see a bigger gap between the wheel well and tires or the supension will automatically adjust?

BTW Bruce, I may visit the UK again (my 5th or 6th time) in 2012 for the Olympics and to visit family in Buckhurst Hill, do you think it's safe and the airfares going through the roof? Cheers and thanks for share that ugly tire/wheel.
Old 10-02-2010, 05:21 PM   #6
Track rat

Garage
225/45/17 will fit with no issues. Same sidewall height and rolling diameter, more tread/contact patch. I have been running this size on the front for 4 years.
Old 10-02-2010, 05:21 PM   #7
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexH
I hear you Bruce. I know the roads there in Los Felix as well as some parts of Wilshire going away from downtown. I drive somewhat gently going througjh downtown. Anyway, I want a little bit more tread in the front but just don't want the tires to look too tall. Since the diameter going from 205/50/17 to 215/45/17 will decrease, will I see a bigger gap between the wheel well and tires or the supension will automatically adjust?

BTW Bruce, I may visit the UK again (my 5th or 6th time) in 2012 for the Olympics and to visit family in Buckhurst Hill, do you think it's safe and the airfares going through the roof? Cheers and thanks for share that ugly tire/wheel.
You won't notice the diameter difference. But going from a 205 to a 215, you probably won't notice any handling difference either.
Old 10-02-2010, 05:27 PM   #8
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless
225/45/17 will fit with no issues. Same sidewall height and rolling diameter, more tread/contact patch. I have been running this size on the front for 4 years.
Between a 205 and a 225, I bet you start to notice a little difference in the car's balance. It will probably tramline more easily too.
Old 10-02-2010, 06:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless
Good to hear since the Potenza re760 tires cost the same in both sizes, I thought to beef up the front a little for a nore stable ride.
Old 10-02-2010, 06:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
Between a 205 and a 225, I bet you start to notice a little difference in the car's balance. It will probably tramline more easily too.

Blue,

I thought about going 225 but was afraid that it's too wide to fit in the stock wheel.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:21 PM   #11
Porscheectomy

The 17" front wheels on the 986 are 7" wide. That's the same width as the rear 16"wheels, which are 225s. So I would think 225s on the 7" front wheels should be OK.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:24 PM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexH

the other posters have got you on the tyre spec, good advice.

if you do visit the uk during the 2012's it'll be safe for sure. the biggest risk we face in the UK is going broke or being taxed to death (but that's another story). if fares do go through the roof you can always go direct LAX-CDG with air france and then catch the eurostar from paris to london. (you can also catch me on the PPrune forum - Professional Pilot rumour network - same usernme)
Old 10-02-2010, 11:30 PM   #13

Garage
shouldnt be a problem as blue noted above ^

the standard front size for the 18" rims is 225 so there shouldnt be any problems with fouling either.

as a suggstion also, i always check my wear patters on tyres, especially at change over, and for what a decent set tyres cost its worth getting the alignment done once a fresh set is on (alignment is a minimal cost), bad road surfaces can take its toll on alignment and significantly affect the handling as well as wear rates on tyres (sorry tires)

Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 10-02-2010 at 11:34 PM.