Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2012, 05:28 AM   #1

My Boxster's re-sale value?

So Im thinking about possibly upgrading to an "s" or a Carrera. This would require the sale of my current boxster. Im wondering what the public 986 community thinks the car could be sold for.

its a 2002 base model, Artic silver black top black interior. Heated seats, 6 speaker sound system. First year for a few of the nicer features too like the 3 point wheel, updated shifter knob, double lined roof etc.

Condition is good. Interior is in great condition for its age no wear on the leather. Exterior has a couple scratches.

Mileage on the engine is 148,000 miles! It runs like a top and has no mechanical issues at all! Underneath is bone dry. Brand new rear tires, and brand new brakes front and rear.

I am thinking of asking $10,995. Whats everyone think?

Tim1137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:37 AM   #2

pretty good price. depends on what "couple scratches" means. service records available? what # owner are you...
Old 06-27-2012, 05:43 AM   #3
Homeboy981

Garage
Got some mileage out of that puppy!

At that price you should generate some calls. However, one may have to see condition first, then discuss mileage and everything done to the car (if you have kept those records up).

I happily paid $15k for an 02 S with about 100k LESS miles. I might kick the tires IF I were still in the market AND you didn't live so far for a test drive.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:57 AM   #4

Unfortunately I have no service records, I work at a VW Dealer so we service the car here for free =)

I am probobly owner 3 or 4 by now. The previous owner didnt own the car very long, and the car was purchased new in CA, so I imagine im at least owner 3 or 4.

scratches are minor, rear bumper has a couple more noticeable ones, but nothing major.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:00 AM   #5

another question i would ask, if i were the buyer (and offer if i were the seller) is how long i've owned it. have you had it for 6 months and put 1000 miles on it, or have you had it for 5 years and put 100k on it... that would tell me how well the seller knows the car.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycarreon View Post
another question i would ask, if i were the buyer (and offer if i were the seller) is how long i've owned it. have you had it for 6 months and put 1000 miles on it, or have you had it for 5 years and put 100k on it... that would tell me how well the seller knows the car.
Thats a good question to be prepared for. Ive only owned the car currently for 4 months or so, but Ive already put 5000+ miles on it. Unfortunately it sounds like thats a bad thing though since i havnt owned it long
Old 06-27-2012, 10:26 AM   #7

to me, yes it would be a "ding" against it, just because i would want service records and/or someone who knows the car well enough to communicate their experiences with it, i.e. what they think may need to be done sometime in the near future...

if i were buying, i would want to know (or at least get some idea on):
- how old / many miles on the clutch?
- how old is the serpentine belt
- how old are the spark plugs / wires?
- has the RMS been changed?
- has the IMS been changed?
- how old is the coolant tank?
- how old / many miles on AOS?
- what type of use has it seen - highway or city? mixed? was it a grocery-getter?
- what type of oil has been used?

to some people, might not matter one way or another.

to be fair, i can only tell the next owner of my car everything that has happened in the past 40k / 3 years since i've owned it. i can however provide some of the major services it's received (RMS, etc) since i was able to track down some items from various porsche service centers in the area.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:09 PM   #8
Certified Boxster Addict

Way overpriced.

Blue Book is $8700-$9500. The mileage really hurts the value when it gets that high. If its not in perfect condition and you don't have the service records and you've only owned the car for 4 months, the likely price will be more towards $8700. If you get an offer for anything over $9K, take it.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 06-27-2012 at 12:11 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Way overpriced.

Blue Book is $8700-$9500. The mileage really hurts the value when it gets that high. If its not in perfect condition and you don't have the service records and you've only owned the car for 4 months, the likely price will be more towards $8700. If you get an offer for anything over $9K, take it.
I understand people use bluebook, however I am a true believer in "market value" over bluebook value. There are next to no 02+ boxsters selling for under 10k. If you want a 4 point steering wheel and a penis shaped shift knob you can get an 01 or down lol.

My car has had the clutch/IMS/RMS replaced and upgraded in its past however I dont have records to prove it further than a 150k mile engine with a BONE DRY bellhousing. AOS and engine mount recently done, plugs are being done next week so those will be new. Cant comment on the coolant tank, can only say its not leaking now. This car gets about 300 highway miles per week, and only 15-20 city miles per week, so id say over 90% highway miles.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:30 AM   #10

You can certainly try at that price. It only takes one buyer! But it seems high to me at that mileage without service records, regardless of the narrative.

It may take awhile, but with the new Boxsters hitting the showrooms around the USA this week, there will likely be some increased downward pressure on the "classic" (read "early") Boxsters as they are now the 3rd/4th generation of the line. The good news is that for the buyers they'll be a few more bargins.
d18mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:35 AM   #11
Ex Esso kid

Seems overpriced given the mileage however when one considers what just a loose engine goes for the price seems reasonable.
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:49 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 View Post
Seems overpriced given the mileage however when one considers what just a loose engine goes for the price seems reasonable.
Its funny how that works, The car itself all together seems to always be worth less than the sum of its parts.

Anyways, My asking price of 10,995 would leave me plenty of room to negotiate with a potential buyer. If they feel something needs to be addressed on the car, or records or history isnt what they are expecting, the price can be adjusted accordingly to help cover the "liability" of it in their head