986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Spyder retrofit kit (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36065)

RandallNeighbour 06-25-2012 03:34 PM

Spyder retrofit kit

The Zeintop mimics the Cayman. Why hasnt anyone created a Spyder retrofit for the 986/987 Boxster?

Shouldn't be too difficult. The clamshell, rear trunk lid, and a set of humps could be married together for a prototype.

I bet having the top sewn would cost as much as creating the fiberglass part.

But someone should do it. I'd buy it. My top is rarely up and I love my humps but hate having to remove them to raise the top. Snapping on a top to just keep out the rain when needed would be great!

I guess someone could just create a better mousetrap of a set of humps and achieve the same thing, but one smooth lightweight piece of fiberglass sure would look great!

Thoughts?

Kenny Boxster 06-25-2012 08:29 PM

Quite an interesting proposition Randall. I enjoy the convertible roof for the time being, but it would certainly be a novel feeling. On the other hand I was googling the spyder wondering how you would be able to see in the rear view mirror when I stumbled upon this:

http://www.gtspirit.com/wp-content/u..._with_roof.jpg

I couldn't help but grin seeing the photographer's humor.:D

RandallNeighbour 06-25-2012 09:28 PM

Oh that's rich!

grtc68 06-28-2012 02:16 AM

Pedro already has something in the works and it's looking very promising. Check out his board...the only remaining piece is the top.

2003S 06-28-2012 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grtc68 (Post 295716)
Pedro already has something in the works and it's looking very promising. Check out his board...the only remaining piece is the top.

that's pretty sharp looking:
Re: So you always liked the Spyder's looks and power, but not it's price...

ekam 06-28-2012 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenny Boxster (Post 295394)
Quite an interesting proposition Randall. I enjoy the convertible roof for the time being, but it would certainly be a novel feeling. On the other hand I was googling the spyder wondering how you would be able to see in the rear view mirror when I stumbled upon this:

That's a Porsche Design tent, I heard they cost $3k.

jrblackman 06-28-2012 07:37 AM

Nice Touch

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenny Boxster (Post 295394)

"Porsche Campground Performance" Brilliant!

bmfaze2 06-28-2012 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2003S (Post 295730)

Wow. The spyder retrofit from pedro looks nice. I think this with the GT3tek spyder style bumper and sideskirts would compliment the rest of the car. Can't wait to see the finished product with top including final cost.

TuneRS Motorsports 07-03-2012 04:50 AM

Hey everyone. We are currently developing and manufacturing the 986 Spyder lid that you have seen Pedro speaking about on his board.

986 Boxster Spyder by TuneRS Motorsports

We are offering the 986 Spyder kit in-house at the moment, (the car will need to come to us to be completed). We should have some photos of how the lid opens and where it mounts very soon. This kit is completely reversible as well, no cutting, drilling or welding is needed, everything bolts into the original mounting points of the car. The kit will remove the original rear spoiler and mechanism as well. It seals in place and latches to all original parts of the Boxster.

You can also have the option of the rear spoiler and option of the third brake light.

As for the canvas top that I have seen people asking about, that is under development as we speak and as soon as that is ready, pictures and information on how it will attach and look will be provided and displayed on our website.

If you have any more questions, feel free to shoot us an email.

- TuneRS Motorsports

RandallNeighbour 07-05-2012 02:49 PM

TuneRS, keep posting info for us! Thanks.

97 Boxster 07-05-2012 08:31 PM

Very interested. Keep us all posted.

Stroked & Blown 07-06-2012 06:36 AM

Interested.
Will the top work with a BK rollbar extension, or will the extension have to be removed to put the top on?

jesseborgelt 07-07-2012 12:09 PM

I think this looks like crap. A set of speedster humps looks much better on the 986 IMHO. To each their own. Maybe if the light bar wasn't on top like a cop car? I think I would rather have the tent on top.

landrovered 07-07-2012 12:49 PM

Cool, I hope you do well!

RandallNeighbour 07-08-2012 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jesseborgelt (Post 296792)
I think this looks like crap. A set of speedster humps looks much better on the 986 IMHO. To each their own. Maybe if the light bar wasn't on top like a cop car? I think I would rather have the tent on top.

Humps might look better to you, but taking them off is a pain. Just popping on a canvas cover when it gets cloudy is MUCH less hassle than removing and stowing humps so one can raise the top.

mcomet 07-08-2012 03:57 PM

One dumb q...with the normal soft top you do the partial open and move around to get engine access...how does that work with this.....?