986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   2001 Boxster Blowing Driver Seat Fuse, Any Ideas Why?? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36063)

phatjoe 06-25-2012 10:14 AM

2001 Boxster Blowing Driver Seat Fuse, Any Ideas Why??

Hi Everyone,

I came across an ’01 boxster for sale. The owner seemed upfront on the phone, and he told me the fuse keeps blowing for the driver seat. It happens every few weeks.
My wife and I will both be using the car so a broken seat is not ideal. Any idea what this may be? Is there a fix to this problem? :confused:

I know it’s used, but I’m trying to avoid as many issues as possible. I hate to purchase the car, and unable to fix the problem.

THANKS!

jb92563 06-25-2012 03:03 PM

I'll be interested to hear as well since my drivers seat tilt is also inoperative, and I'd like to fix it.

I have not checked the fuse yet since the seat is in a comfortable position and I have not found a need to adjust it.

Took me a while to figure out that the other adjuster on the seat is for height and is manually adjusted by pushing with your feet or pulling yourself up on the steering wheel with the lever depressed.

I did read on one of the forums that there was some mechanical links of some kind under the seat that could be binding and causing a problem. I think it was on this site.

particlewave 06-25-2012 03:11 PM

The best way to solve this would be to test the electronics with an ammeter and check all mechanics for binding. Theres not a whole lot going on down there, so should be simple to diagnose/fix.

Best guess would be that the motor is weak and has to draw more amps to do the same amount of work, or that the mechanics need some lube.

sb01box 06-25-2012 09:55 PM

My 01 with lumbar adjust had a problem where if during hard right turn the lumbar adjustment would happen by itself. Taking the switch plate off, I found the electrical wiring was rubbing along the seat rail (at the left thigh support) and the insulation had been compromised, Additional pressure on the thigh support by a heavy driver!s left thigh was inducing electrical connection.
You may want to see if similar thing is happening with your seat with the hot side wiring.
Good luck

milliemax 06-26-2012 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by particlewave (Post 295360)
The best way to solve this would be to test the electronics with an ammeter and check all mechanics for binding. Theres not a whole lot going on down there, so should be simple to diagnose/fix.

Best guess would be that the motor is weak and has to draw more amps to do the same amount of work, or that the mechanics need some lube.

I would bet on Particle.