Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2012, 07:08 PM   #1

Garage
Windshield Exterior Trim

Is the exterior trim around the windshield holding the glass in or is it just to cover up some unsightly sealant or gap?

I ask for 2 reasons: Mine has some discoloration on the silver portion and I think it would look nicer if I could refresh it...AND... it is loose on the passenger side at its base.

Old 06-28-2012, 04:23 AM   #2

trim around the windshield on the S is just trim and has no mechanical function. Non S models just have the rubber seal without the extra trim. Do not believe the trim can be installed in the seal without pulling the glass.
jrj3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:05 AM   #3

I have a 2.7 base and I suspect that the black surround on the exterior of the windshield is also just trim and that the windshield is in fact bedded with a sealant. My black 'trim' is also loose near the base on the passenger side pillar and yet I am getting no leaks.

If that is the case, I would assume that it could be removed (or re-attached) without removing the windshield. Somebody must have some first-hand experience with this.

Brad

Last edited by southernstar; 06-28-2012 at 05:11 AM. Reason: 2 signatures
southernstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:42 AM   #4

Garage
It must be just decorative. I started looking for looseness in other places and there are lots of areas where it is loose if you push it a bit.

So I'm no longer concerned that the glass is loose, I just need to see if I can find replacement brightwork that is kind of yellowed.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:33 AM   #5

I have the same issue, and after quite a bit of searching, came up with this part. I haven't bought it yet, but I'm pretty sure that it is the correct piece. It states that its the metallic titanium that is on the S.

Pelican Parts - Product Information: OEM-986541541029A4

As far as your trim being loose, I had that to. Found that pushing it firmly toward the glass with reseat the channel in the trim and keep it firmly in place. Mine was loose all around and would vibrate quite a bit in the wind until I reseated it.
Devact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:37 AM   #6

Garage
Thank you for your input. I'll look into that part. I have not heard any noise coming form that area, but I'm pretty sure it isn't going to tighten up on its own. I'll try your suggestion.