Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2012, 08:02 AM   #1

Aftermarket Radio

Not sure if anyone knows, but thought I would ask. I am going to upgrade my Audio System, and have a CDR-210. I will be adding the Rear Speakers (into my Rear Box) and want a few features, but what I am looking for may be difficult to find. Does anyone know of an Aftermarket system that has the following features that are a drop in for my Porsche Boxster:

CD Player
AM/FM Radio
4 Channel
Bluetooth built in
Anti-theft
Speed Control Volume (like the CDR)
MP3-input
USB

The features I am having the most trouble finding is the Speed Control Volume and the Anti-Theft. Any recommendations of models or companies would be greatly appreciated.

gerg nad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:53 AM   #2

Would a CDR-220 work with a Bluetooth kit plugged into the Telephone jack? Not sure what are the easiest and best options.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:08 PM   #3

Looks like very few have the SVC. Speed Volume Control.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:00 AM   #4
Homeboy981

Garage
Try looking at a JVC NT3HDT. It may not SCV (volume control) but using the factory harness I was able to get it out of mine. There is a wire, not sure which since it has been a while since the install, that will increase the volume. In the end, I disabled that feature because IT GOT TOO LOUD!! Not something you have to worry about with the factory unit.

It also uses an SD Card which I have about 2 weeks of music! I have thrown out the CDs! MP3 on a CD will only get you a hundred or so songs - I have about 1500 on ONE SD Card!

Make sure you apply the firmware update. I picked mine up on eBay for around $400! Installation did require a trim bezel in addition to the factory wiring kit (so you can maintain the SCV, if needed).

Adding sound to the rear deck is a good choice! My Box ROCKS! Don't forget to add a backup camera…for $15 it is a no-brainer. Takes some time to run the cable but REALLY HELPS with the Box BLIND SPOT!
Enjoy!
Old 06-19-2012, 12:12 PM   #5

Thank You

Thank you for your response.

It does look like a very good unit. If I understand you correctly that you had to make some adjustments to the console to enable it to fit, that it is not a drop in replacement for the CDR-210. Also it look like you got a very good price if you bought new.

My biggest concern is that it would take some work for it to fit the dashboard and not doing this before I have reservations, but thank you for your response.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:01 PM   #6
de4yanks

Kenwood Receiver Upgrade

I recently bought an '02 Boxster and the original radio display quit working shortly afterwards. I ended up buying a Kenwood KDC952HD receiver from Crutchfield. I put the radio in myself and it fits perfectly. The only option it does not have is the SVC, but the radio works great and highly recommend this one if you've not yet made a purchase.
de4yanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:26 PM   #7

aftermarket radio

i have pioneer deh-p6200bt ,love it! fit my 2001 boxter great, i like the color too.
tennessee stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:01 PM   #8

I just installed an Alpine CDE-HD137BT in my '01 S today. I used a Metta harness adapter and it went right into the dash. I looked for something with SCV, but was unable to find anything. One thing to remember with the Metta adapter, the red and yellow wires are reversed, yellow is the switched+, and red is the constant+.
Reckles_Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:02 PM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennessee stud View Post
i have pioneer deh-p6200bt ,love it! fit my 2001 boxter great, i like the color too.
Pictures??

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 03:59 AM   #10

radio

sorry,no pics,dont have camera,or cell,lol,just go to pioneer website,punch in numbers ,it wll come up,cost bout 300 bucks!
tennessee stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:33 PM   #11

Garage
i did install today a pioneer 6.5 inch touch screen and top dash speakers, and relocated the AC control unit in the pocket area with the relocation available on ebay works very well.
Hadydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:53 AM   #12

I have this one.

JVC Arsenal KD-A815 CD receiver at Crutchfield.com

It looks great in the dash and matches the dash colors perfect for an OEM look.

greenerob is offline   Reply With Quote