Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2012, 04:20 AM   #1

bracket that holds bumper light in? Also directional socket

the passenger side of my car is missing the bracket that the side bumper light "clips" in to. Can anyone point me in the direction of where to find a new one, or at least tell me what this thing looks like?

Secondly, my passanger directional in the headlight doesnt work. I pulled it out and the socket is all rusted and breaking apart. I called the porsche dealer on it and they said the socket isnt available seperately. Can anyone confirm that? Or does anyone have a socket I can buy?

Tim1137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:16 AM   #2

If you can't clean up and rebuild the socket for the directional, a used light may be you best bet. Try a dismantler as even a light that's been destroyed may have the hardware you're looking for. Also, you may be able to fabricate something usable from universal parts at your local auto parts store...

Not sure what a bumper light is. If you are referring to you side markers, the lights themselves have a bracket built in. These are standard Hella units and both amber and clear can be had form various e-Bay sellers for a reasonable cost.
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:38 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadrach74 View Post
If you can't clean up and rebuild the socket for the directional, a used light may be you best bet. Try a dismantler as even a light that's been destroyed may have the hardware you're looking for. Also, you may be able to fabricate something usable from universal parts at your local auto parts store...

Not sure what a bumper light is. If you are referring to you side markers, the lights themselves have a bracket built in. These are standard Hella units and both amber and clear can be had form various e-Bay sellers for a reasonable cost.
Thats what I didnt want to hear, that the whole headlight needs to be sourced. My socket is TOAST.

Regarding the light, yes I mean the sidemarkers. My passanger side has nothing behind it to attach to.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:20 AM   #4

hmmm.... There's really not much there, 2 small tabs that lock under the fender/bumper and a piece of spring steel to hold them tight. A picture with your light removed would help. Have you compared the side you need a light for to the other side of the car???
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:06 AM   #5

I know its a little hard to see, but basically theres nothing behind for the light to clip in to.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:21 AM   #6

The light sits in the marker, which then clips in to the fender area.
Attached Images

Last edited by tonycarreon; 06-20-2012 at 09:13 AM.
tonycarreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:26 AM   #7

After re-reading your post I see it now, you're certainly missing some bits.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:56 AM   #8

Ahhhh... now I see what you are referring to.

First off, you are missing 2 screws (and a long clip) to hold the bumper skin in place behind the side marker. Your bumper was probably replaced or at least removed for respray or some maintenance. Not a big deal at all as long as paint matches well. These low front ends take lots of abuse from road use.

Anyhow, in refitting, they didn't replace the screws behind the side marker light... one goes vertical (accessed behind the wheel well liner, the other horizontal... accessed when side marker light is removed - you can see the blank holes.. one for each in your two pictures. I suspect that's because the long clip behind them is also missing.

Screws I am speaking about are: #14, #15, and #16 (and #13, the clip behind, which they affix to)

Once those are in holding the bumper skin tight, your side marker light will clip into place no problem... again, #13 is needed to keep in place (yours appears to be missing but maybe not... can't see very well in the pix). Here's more info to see how it assembles from the parts diagram and parts listing (but check w/ Sunset, Suncoast, or Sonnen also for prices):
Porsche Boxster Bumper Front Parts

As well, here's a link w/ details on how to remove the front bumper so you can see where all the screws are... or should be. It's a very easy DIY so don't be intimidated (some screws used in yours may be torx or bolts and not necessarily as listed in the DIY b/c Porsche did change them based on MY).

Accessing the Radiators

Good luck
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:33 AM   #9

My #13 bracket is definetely missing.

Does anyone know if the #12 bracket is what holds the #13 bracket in place? I think the #12 bracket is also missing. It appears that way in the illustration

*Edit*
Nevermind, #12 is not required to install the #13 bracket.

How do I go about finding the part # to order that #13 bracket?
Old 06-20-2012, 09:03 AM   #10

check this PDF (it's big and long, so you'll have to search around for the page(s) that have what you need. (posted by rick3000 a few years ago)

Free Cloud Storage - MediaFire

(original thread)
http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/25040-detailed-front-bumper-diagram.html
Old 06-20-2012, 10:33 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim1137 View Post
My #13 bracket is definetely missing.

Does anyone know if the #12 bracket is what holds the #13 bracket in place? I think the #12 bracket is also missing. It appears that way in the illustration

*Edit*
Nevermind, #12 is not required to install the #13 bracket.

How do I go about finding the part # to order that #13 bracket?
#12 & #13 are separate pieces but I seem to recall they interlock (though 12 is not necessary for 13).

P/Ns for all are in link I provided above... (you can order from there but check around for prices too).

Might I humbly suggest you pull bumper skin to see what else, if any (and likely), is also missing. Thus at least saving on freight and of course much in process aggravation... Seems like double work but will avoid triple work should you need to reassemble while awaiting more parts to arrive

Post a picture of your "rusted" headlight socket too. Though socket not available separately (at least from what I've seen from std parts diagrams), part itself is plastic (and I thought had brass contacts). Anyhow, for the connection, try cleaning w/ some QD electronic parts cleaner (~ $7 any parts store). Then re-insert headlight pod to test functionality. If it works, remove again and dab some dielectric grease on both sides to combat future corrosion. If it doesn't work, break out the multimeter to test the pins. If you have continuity there, then likely you have a ground issue somewhere else.

Speaking of possible ground issue and thinking out loud here... there is a cool mod/hack to make sidemarkers flash w/ the front (or opposite if parking lights are on - might be vice versa but immaterial right now). If this hack were done on your car and the side marker/bulb is not in place (per issue above) then the front flasher would not work (b/c hack typically entails creating common ground b/w). So, while car is running, put your LEFT turn signal on and tell us if side marker flashes or not. If so, issue w/should be fixed by getting side marker issue corrected (might connect side marker light to test too). If not resolved, go back to testing continuity at headlight pod connector above (I haven't owned a Boxster for almost 3 years nor Bentley manual... otherwise I'd tell you what specific pin # in connector to test - sorry).

Again, I'd dig into this further for diagnosis now so you can order any needed parts at once...

Good luck

Last edited by Burg Boxster; 06-20-2012 at 10:41 AM.
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote