986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Car wash... (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35884)

Penland 06-11-2012 09:04 PM

Car wash...

/begin rant

I have a monthly membership to a local car wash, they do the whole-9-yards, vacuum, interior,etc.
I usually go every time I drive the car, and usually dont have an issue.
Today I pulled up with the top down, and before I got out, I put the top up, and they started cleaning it. I went inside and waited as usual, and after about 20 mins (usual timeframe) I look to see if it was done, and saw it was in the detail bay... With a wet/dry vac next to it...

Long story short, the passenger window was Still down when it went thru.
I obviously got the manager and let him know my concerns. They cleaned it up pretty good, and there doesnt seem to be any electrical issues. Hopefully I got
Lucky, but if there is issues, they better believe they are getting the bill..

/end rant

Frodo 06-12-2012 02:25 AM

Lessons to be learned:

1) You should probably get in the habit of looking to see that the windows are actually up before handing it over to someone in a car wash. How could they not notice something like that? Unbelievable what some people don't notice.

2) You're better off just doing it yourself. These are small cars, it takes very little time, especially if you are just washing and not doing any additional detailing. Heck, lots of times you don't even have to do a full blown wash---do a search on "Optimum No Rinse". It's fast, easy, does a good job and is friendly to your car's finish.

jrblackman 06-12-2012 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Penland (Post 293815)
/begin rant

I have a monthly membership to a local car wash, they do the whole-9-yards, vacuum, interior,etc.
Today I pulled up with the top down, and before I got out, I put the top up, and they started cleaning it. I went inside and waited as usual, and after about 20 mins (usual timeframe) I look to see if it was done, and saw it was in the detail bay... With a wet/dry vac next to it...

I obviously got the manager and let him know my concerns. They cleaned it up pretty good, and there doesnt seem to be any electrical issues. Hopefully I got

/end rant

I have never taken my Boxster through an automatic car wash. I just can't get comfortable with the idea. It's a little car; hand washing and towel drying takes less than thirty minutes.

ekam 06-12-2012 06:08 AM

Beside washing it myself, I'd only let a professional detailer detail my car.... no drive-thru car wash for me...

bar10dah 06-12-2012 06:17 AM

I thought one of the issues of the automatic car washes was the problem of the side sprayers spraying water into the air intake behind the driver's door? Is there the potential for hydrolock here? Or is that just from motor oil?

Johnny Danger 06-12-2012 07:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ekam (Post 293828)
Beside washing it myself, I'd only let a professional detailer detail my car.... no drive-thru car wash for me...

I lost your detailer's phone number. What is it again ?

Joel-Box-ster 06-12-2012 08:43 AM

No automatic car wash for my Boxster either.. I rather her wash it. :dance::D

particlewave 06-12-2012 08:47 AM

Autowash? Thats beyond me. No one touches my car like that but me...just like my woman.

BYprodriver 06-12-2012 10:39 AM

Her number

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Danger (Post 293838)
I lost your detailer's phone number. What is it again ?

I'd say 9 :cool:

BYprodriver 06-12-2012 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Penland (Post 293815)
/begin rant

/end rant

I would remove both seats & dry the ECU's under there. If they corrode you will have to replace them & have a major hassle trying to get the car wash to take responsibility.

san rensho 06-12-2012 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYprodriver (Post 293856)
I would remove both seats & dry the ECU's under there. If they corrode you will have to replace them & have a major hassle trying to get the car wash to take responsibility.

Good call.

Uller God 06-12-2012 01:11 PM

Nothing better then suds'n up the Box on a sunny afternoon, save money on therapy, wash your Porsche yourself.

Overdrive 06-12-2012 01:48 PM

You may also want to pick up some of those silica packets that are meant to absorb moisture and throw a few under the seats, a few in the footwells, and maybe in the door pockets too, anywhere that there's fabric in the cabin, really. Those may help, too. Maybe even stick a little portable dehumidifier in there to soak up everything it can.

Perfectlap 06-12-2012 03:07 PM

I've heard of cars being totalled because the owner left the window down during a rain storm.

I'd take it to the dealer and have them do a full diagnostic of everything electrical/hvac.
Top to bottom.

BYprodriver 06-12-2012 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overdrive (Post 293873)
You may also want to pick up some of those silica packets that are meant to absorb moisture and throw a few under the seats, a few in the footwells, and maybe in the door pockets too, anywhere that there's fabric in the cabin, really. Those may help, too. Maybe even stick a little portable dehumidifier in there to soak up everything it can.

Word on the street is: white rice works as well as anything! :cool:

Penland 06-13-2012 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYprodriver (Post 293856)

i took out the seats and carpet. the immobilizer was bone dry, no water got on that side of the car. I have a ton of reuseable silica packets I use when I store it for winter, and loaded it up with those, and it was like 85 degrees... the little water (if any) that is left is history now.

Overdrive 06-21-2012 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYprodriver (Post 293883)

Touché, sir...my only parry to that is that it's food, and rodents and critters don't need any more temptation to make their way into my car. :cheers:

Flavor 987S 06-21-2012 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BYprodriver (Post 293883)

That's racist. Just say "rice".

Joel-Box-ster 06-22-2012 09:32 AM

I believe white rice absorbs water better than brown rice. :p ;)

Ghostrider 310 06-22-2012 10:03 AM

Drive through??? I get nuts when someone tries to use the Ford wash mitt on the Porsche.