Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2012, 03:27 PM   #1

Yet another wheel color post

Hi folks,

I have a '99 Arctic Silver/Boxster Red that I am looking to upgrade the wheels on. I have already scored a set of 18" Carrera Lightweights with Boxster offsets through a wrecker. The price was definitely right, but they do have some rash that needs fixing.

Since I am going to be taking these wheels in to have them cleaned up, I have been toying with the idea of powder coating some or all parts of them.

Given my Arctic Silver exterior, what do you folks think about these options:

1) Stock grey
2) All black
3) Black spokes with stock grey or chromed rim
4) Black spokes and inner rim with with grey or chromed outer lip
5) All black with red pinstripe?

Lastly regarding the black options, matte or gloss?"

I really like the clean likes of these wheels and I have see some interesting images out there of what others have done with them. Thoughts on these specific wheels and thoughts on color pairings with the Arctic silver are both welcome.

Cheers,
-J

Here are some examples of what I'm considering here:

RaisedOnPorsches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 04:54 PM   #2

Garage
I'm a fan of using just one color when it comes to customizing wheels . In my opinion, having a deviating color, or polished "lip", or any kind of pinstripe visually shrinks the size of the wheel . In the case of a silver vehicle, in addition to black (gloss by the way) -colors in the range of gunmetal can look very nice as well .

Last edited by Johnny Danger; 06-07-2012 at 05:48 PM.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:33 PM   #3

If you ask me I'd just refinish it, get these nice colored crest and paint your calipers red. I'm not crazy about the contrasting spokes/lips on these wheels since they almost have none.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:18 PM   #4

Thanks for the input thus far. The wheels came with color center caps, but they need some TLC. I have colored center caps on my current 17" twists that are also looking pretty faded. We'll see what the restoration cost will be for them...

JD - Regarding your single color recommendations, other than stock silver and gloss black do you have some specific colors in mind that would work well paired with the Arctic Silver?

Thanks!
-J

(P.S. For the record there is no way I'd consider chrome.)
Old 06-08-2012, 02:52 AM   #5

I love those wheels and would like to have a set too.

How about a darker shade of gray/silver like the wheels that are on the Anniversary model?

Last edited by Chief; 06-08-2012 at 05:15 AM.
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:02 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaisedOnPorsches View Post
Thanks for the input thus far. The wheels came with color center caps, but they need some TLC. I have colored center caps on my current 17" twists that are also looking pretty faded. We'll see what the restoration cost will be for them...

JD - Regarding your single color recommendations, other than stock silver and gloss black do you have some specific colors in mind that would work well paired with the Arctic Silver?

Thanks!
-J

(P.S. For the record there is no way I'd consider chrome.)
Do a google search for gunmetal wheels. You'll find numerous images of silver vehicles with that wheel combination .
Old 06-10-2012, 09:26 PM   #7

I've been thinking about it some more. The black hides the wheels too much and I am not wild about the gunmetal look with the lighter silver car. I think I am staying with the stock finish after all.

Boring, I know but I think it works best.