986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Snap crackle pop. (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35695)

ProjectM96 05-31-2012 12:07 PM

Snap crackle pop.

I hear the noise coming from the driver window against the top.

It seemed like a noise that comes from bending something like the car frame was flexing. Also sounds like a rock hitting the windshield every 2-7 seconds.

I though the cause maybe that the power window motor was pushing the window up a few millimeter farther than usual causing it to push against the top and cause the sound.

Then I realized that the noise still happens even when the window is down. The noise is coming from the driver side top where the driver window meets the top.

When I push against the plastic trim around the fabric top and driver window, I cannot replicate the sound. I can't figure out the source of the sound. It is so annoying that I parked it and am now driving my other car.

Anyone experience something similar? I have not opened my top in over 2 months. Noise started happening 2 weeks ago.

fullthrottle52 05-31-2012 02:33 PM

There have been a lot of postings in this forum about that same issue of pop and snapping. I have the same problem with mine. it only happens when it's very warm 80 to 85 degrees. I think it's the heating of the windshield pushing against the metal trim. It gets worse when you hit bumps. It tends to be inherent in these cars. I hate it also. If it cools off, see if it goes away. I hope this is what your referring to? I thought it was my blower fan for a long time, because I always had my air on in the heat.

mcomet 05-31-2012 08:35 PM

I have the same thing tho on mine it seems to be passenger side almost like it is from the glovebox or such... But yes I have searched as well apparently seems related to the window and how it is mounted? Definitely a loud crack and sounds like a rock or pebble hitting when it happens. It seems to happen once or twice after I start driving as the car warms up or such ...

It may be th heating, also read some people think it is based on twisting or torquing the frame... Not sure how common this really is but seems to be posted about ... No solutions I have heard of...

ProjectM96 06-01-2012 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullthrottle52 (Post 292271)
There have been a lot of postings in this forum about that same issue of pop and snapping. I have the same problem with mine. it only happens when it's very warm 80 to 85 degrees. I think it's the heating of the windshield pushing against the metal trim. It gets worse when you hit bumps. It tends to be inherent in these cars. I hate it also. If it cools off, see if it goes away. I hope this is what your referring to? I thought it was my blower fan for a long time, because I always had my air on in the heat.

I do also have that other snap noise from the fan under the dash, but that sound is a rare occurence. The window is much more frequent.

I guess I will try using the A/C to hit the windshield and hopefully shrink it in this heat. I have not been using A/C lately.

jcb986 06-01-2012 05:29 AM

There is a cable that runs along the top on both sides, this could be your problem. I would have a top guy check it and save yourself a lot of money.

Checkout Mike's site for DYI:

mikesporscheboxsterwebpages - mikefocke2

Convertible Top Cable Falling Outside Guide Channel DIY (VERY LONG) *PIC*