Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

View Poll Results: Should I go back to the 19 inch Chrome?
yes 2 7.14%
No 26 92.86%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2012, 06:03 PM   #1

19s versus 18s

so, after waiting approximately 3 months for my 18 inch Forgestar F14 in Titanium finish, I finally put them on last Saturday. My previous wheels were 19in MHT chrome wheels. But for some reason, I'm not really liking the Forgestars (as beautiful as they are). The 18s don't ride as goodt the 19s and the car doesnt look at aggressive as it did before. I also thought the car would be a lot quicker with the lighter 18s wheels. It doesn't feel that much fast, however - street driving at least. I'm thinking of going back to chrome 19s. What do you think? Here are a couple pics for comparison:

19" MHT Rims
Evo Intake, De-Snorkeled
CVstarBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:11 PM   #2

I have 19's but I came from 17's. I like the ride of mine. Good luck with whatever you do.
97 Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:54 PM   #3
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Personally, I dont like the chrome and the rears look like they stick out more...maybe just the pic. Anyhow, my vote is for the 18's.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:01 PM   #4
Certified Boxster Addict

I'm not big on chrome either so I like the 18's best. Either way, great looking car!
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:34 PM   #5

Personally, I like the titanium against that blue. More sports car, and less ghetto-cruiser'ish, as with the chrome ones you had on it.
bar10dah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:04 PM   #6

those titanium ones are amazing looking
fivepointnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:15 PM   #7

With the aggressive body kit, I actually think the larger wheels fit better on your car. The deep dish fits better as well. The 18s would look better on a stock body Boxster.

The offset in the back is a bit too aggressive IMO. Not too much into the chrome. If I were you I would powder coat the centers silver or titanium and polish the lips on the 19s to change the look. In the end you should go with what YOU like. Nice car BTW!
3point2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:06 PM   #8

Back to 18's and lower the car

Past Cars
2006 MB C180k
2005 Peugeot 306
1980 928
2004 Subaru Liberty GT
2000 Nissan Pulsar SSS
smagerstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:29 PM   #9

I prefer 17. I can live with 18. 19-20 or bigger is just silly.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:24 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CVstarBoxster View Post
so, after waiting approximately 3 months for my 18 inch Forgestar F14 in Titanium finish, I finally put them on last Saturday. My previous wheels were 19in MHT chrome wheels. But for some reason, I'm not really liking the Forgestars (as beautiful as they are). The 18s don't ride as goodt the 19s and the car doesnt look at aggressive as it did before. I also thought the car would be a lot quicker with the lighter 18s wheels. It doesn't feel that much fast, however - street driving at least. I'm thinking of going back to chrome 19s. What do you think? Here are a couple pics for comparison:

You need a 12 step program at this point .
Old 05-31-2012, 04:16 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
You need a 12 step program at this point .
Jd, u r so right! Lol
19" MHT Rims
Evo Intake, De-Snorkeled
Old 05-31-2012, 04:23 AM   #12

Keep the 19s if you wear gold chain, bracelets and teeth. But you need to make the car bounce next.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:28 AM   #13
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CVstarBoxster View Post
None of the above??
Old 05-31-2012, 10:25 AM   #14

bling bling homey!

Dude the 18" look like they belong on a Porsche. The chrome might work for me (just my opinion of course) if they were gun metal type chrome. Maybe.

At any rate, you have more tire choices with 18"s and you're not getting bent over by the tire companies for 19" tires even though their costs justify no such premium over 18". They are simply fleecing those who have to be slaves to this ridiculous trend of giant wheels on sports cars.

The color of the Forgestars also blends in better with your Lapis blue paint and makes you notice the car as a whole rather than fixating on the shiny thing. And honestly most chrome wheels make the car look older to me. Like someone bought an older car, took the OEM wheels off and ordered something chrome from the back of Hot Import Tuner magazine. And I rarely see chrome wheels that are kept clean and properly detailed. What a hassle.

Also, I would consider removing the lower lip on the front bumper. It throws off the proportion of the wheels and appears to sit lower than the skirting. You should try a GT3 MK2 splitter instead, it will be a little stealthier and still give you that finishing touch.

p.s.
How bad do the MA cops ball bust over the front plate? I haven't had one a car in nearly 20 years. Always a good bargainig chip when I get pulled over.
"Okay I won't give you a ticket for speeding so I'll just cite you for the no front plate. Okay Chief?".
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 05-31-2012 at 10:32 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
bling bling homey!

Dude the 18" look like they belong on a Porsche. The chrome might work for me (just my opinion of course) if they were gun metal type chrome. Maybe.

At any rate, you have more tire choices with 18"s and you're not getting bent over by the tire companies for 19" tires even though their costs justify no such premium over 18". They are simply fleecing those who have to be slaves to this ridiculous trend of giant wheels on sports cars.

The color of the Forgestars also blends in better with your Lapis blue paint and makes you notice the car as a whole rather than fixating on the shiny thing. And honestly most chrome wheels make the car look older to me. Like someone bought an older car, took the OEM wheels off and ordered something chrome from the back of Hot Import Tuner magazine. And I rarely see chrome wheels that are kept clean and properly detailed. What a hassle.

Also, I would consider removing the lower lip on the front bumper. It throws off the proportion of the wheels and appears to sit lower than the skirting. You should try a GT3 MK2 splitter instead, it will be a little stealthier and still give you that finishing touch.

p.s.
How bad do the MA cops ball bust over the front plate? I haven't had one a car in nearly 20 years. Always a good bargainig chip when I get pulled over.
"Okay I won't give you a ticket for speeding so I'll just cite you for the no front plate. Okay Chief?".

Great points. thanks for the thoughts. As for front plate, I'm not sure, but I just put them on so they have no reason to pull me over at all. I have been thinking about going plateless myself
19" MHT Rims
Evo Intake, De-Snorkeled
Old 05-31-2012, 01:34 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam View Post
Keep the 19s if you wear gold chain, bracelets and teeth. But you need to make the car bounce next.
LMAO good one! I only have a gold watch! lol
19" MHT Rims
Evo Intake, De-Snorkeled
Old 05-31-2012, 02:23 PM   #17

unrelated, for tire dressing I've been using this stuff from Pep Boys. Nice product leaves a dark matte finish.
No glossy bling like you just came back from the car wash.

Surf City Garage
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:47 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by smagerstein View Post
Back to 18's and lower the car
+1, that would finish the look.
06 Maserati Quattroporte (Family hauler)
08 Corvette Z06 (Track car)
986_c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:12 AM   #19

I'd shy away from the chrome wheels; they seem to detract from the dignity of the Porsche a bit. If you have spacers on the back, you might want to rethink that strategy as well.

For my money, the 18's look a lot better on the car.
RobbieKnobbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 01:19 AM   #20

I voted no, but it's your car, make it as ugly as you like.

Squozen is offline   Reply With Quote